Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Wink Mike Martz...great O C....bad HEAD COACH

Ok ...we are all in mourning today. What a shamefull experience. I have nothing but LOVE for this team...and have for nearly 30 yrs...but Mike Martz is NOT a good HEAD COACH! Who among us COULD NOT SEE that the pass protection(Jones out,Tucker and Pace banged up) was NOT WORKING yesterday
    ?? Who among us COULD NOT SEE that OUR BEST PLAYER WAS NOT GETTING THE BALL ENOUGH!!!!!
    Gimme a BREAK MIKE!!! We have the acknowledged BEST PLAYER IN THE GAME and he gets 17 carries in THE SUPER BOWL...with the passing game having a TOUGH DAY???? The man was averaging nearly 4.5 yds per carry!!! He was DUE to break off a BIG ONE at ANY MOMENT!!! 17 CARRIES?? I dont get it...Im sorry...YOU NEED TO ADJUST!!! When the tackles are banged up and they are getting pressure from the corners ITS TIME TO GASH THE MIDDLE. The couple times they ran right at them we saw good things happen. Then it was PASS PASS PASS. No disprespect to New England but 8 games out of 10 they ARE NOT the better team,didnt we beat them in THEIR HOUSE? If Faulk sees 31 carries(or anything close to it) as in the EAGLE game...I see them HOISTING THE GOLDEN FOOTBALL...AGAIN! Sure there are other things that went wrong but STEVIE WONDER could have seen the OBVIOUS and made the adjustment in the GAME PLAN. Dont get me wrong...I dont want to see Mike go...hes an offensive genius and has revolutionized the game to a degree...but he has shown REPEATEDLY that he is NOT a good GAME DAY head coach. Poor clock/timeout use...bizarre use of the replay challenges...leaving STARTERS in BLOWOUTS...and a real UNWILLINGNESS to adjust the game plan. Damn shame that it came down to this. Had they fed MARSHALL the damn ball I dont think we are enduring this today. As a side note...who isnt sick of seeing DEXTER(TOAST)McCLEON getting BURNT in EVERY GAME??
    What a WEAK LINK. If he doesnt get BURNT he gets FLAGGED. Smear penut butter on him and send him packin. Sorry...just have to vent.:angryram: Theres still a bright future!!:shield:

mxbrian is offline Registered User

You are wrong.

Agreed, Faulk could have seen a few more carries but come on, Mike Martz isn't a very good head coach? That sounds a bit like a pissed off fan, as I was last night.

Martz does things differently and when they game plan, they certainly start with Marshall Faulk. Faulk is unquestioned as the best player in the game today. Yes, he should have gotten the ball more, but come on, that doesn't make Martz a bad head coach.

The Patriots brought pressure without a lot of blitzes, that was the key. On the first interception, the right tackle missed a block and Warner should have taken the sack instead of throwing it. Experience, however shows us that he usually completes that pass. Bad luck? I suppose.

Give it up for the Patriots, the lesser team won and they flat out earned it. They wanted the game more than the Rams and it was VERY apparent early on.

I hate people jumping on a bandwagon and blaming and pointing fingers at who and why. It's a game, without the three turnovers, the Rams win. Coach Martz simply cannot control turnovers and it's their achilles heal. High risk, high reward. We just got the short end of the stick.

Great game, sad it's over, but watch out next year, we'll be back.

GO RAMS !!!

Great season, I don't even miss Tony Banks and June Henley.
    RamSpud

RochesterRam is offline Registered User

There is room for improvement

I agree with the fact that Martz can not be faulted (totally) with mistakes. But he still should have recognized the need to keep the D honest and at least try to run the ball. Otherwise the D line just tee's off and bull rushes the Q-back which happened.

The better coached team won yesterday.

We will be back next year. The core of the team will be intact and we should learn from these experiences.

The Limey is offline Registered User
    Big up to RochesterRam from the Limey in Rochester, England.
    Your right, Martz does need to learn.
    But I honestly wouldn't swap him for any other coach in the NFL.

doncjram is offline Registered User

Unhappy Outcoached

Mike Martz was clearly outcoached in the Superbowl. How can you have the best RB in the league and not involve him in the most important game of the season. You would think that he may have learned that by now.

Every time the RAMS get behind all he wants to do is throw the ball in the air.

I do admire Mike for being a coach that "Thinks Outside The Box", but sometimes you need to do things the traditional way.

Also, Dexter needs to go!!!!! Hes our weakest link. He gets burned every play it seems like. The touchdown the Pats got was the same play PHILLY did on us.

Lastly, I admire LOVIE for what hes done. But ive just never been a big fan of the "PREVENT" type defense. We scored and then let them drive down the field on us. Knowing that they have the best kicker in the league....

GO RAMS in 2002.....

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Bad head coach?

Simple as this: Mike Martz is the best thing that has happened to the Rams in the last five years, and any coach that can take his team to the Super Bowl isn't a bad coach. Don't judge him on one game.

:shield:

dogg is offline Registered User
    the Rams are a phenomenal team in this age of mediocrity/parity.
    they just ran into the dreaded 'team of destiny'. they will be back next year with a vengeance. the pats will end up on the scrap heap with the rest of the one-year wonders.

ILRamfan is offline Registered User

Comparisons

Mike Martz......You know this guy is one hell of a coach. True you take issue with his use of Marshall Faulk at times, keep in mind that Marshall has set the NFL record for TD's in one season, Won an NFL MVP award, and Offensive player of the year (two years in a row), under Mike Martz. When you complain about Martz, don't forget to look at the successes, while you over-analyze the failures.

The media has compared this Super Bowl with the Jets-Colts match thirty some years ago. Joe Namath was the Tom Brady of that game. Remember that the Colts, led by Johnny Unitas came back a year or two later and won a Superbowl in their own right. The Jets have never been back to the big dance.

This isn't pre 99 season

I recall the flap over Dick V. after the 98 season and before that unbelievable 99 season. People in St. Louis were ready to run him and the rest of his geriatric coaching squad out of town.
    Thank goodness he stayed that extra year (along with his not so old offensive coordinator).

Mike Matz is one of the best things to happen to this team. We wouldn't be where we are if it wasn't for his vision and the mix of players he has to use.

I have said to many people up here in the north country, that there is a fine line between genius and insanity. Mad Mike fits this cliche. Who leaves the starters in in blowouts as often as him?
    Who appologizes after losses that he actually didn't realize that a player (of hte stature of Faulk or Warner) was still in the game :v)
    But who else has ever coached a team that has scored over 500 points three years straight?

Mike is a genius, I just feel that there is room for better game management (truely great golfers are great because of course management).
    Then we will have Max Q.

Go Rams in '02!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Mike

As I said...I wouldnt want the guy to go BUT...Im NOT judging him on ONE GAME. The things Ive pointed out have occurred REPEATEDLY over the last 2 years. By the way...HOW MANY TITLES DO THE RAMS HAVE UNDER(head coach)MIKE MARTZ?? I acknowledge he is an OFFENSIVE GENIUS... BUT... there are other facets to this game...AND... you need to have your team PREPARED and be able to ADJUST to what the opposition is showing/giving you. I simply see things being MISMANAGED on several occasions. This team is TOO GOOD to be coming up short in back to back seasons. The window for greatness is not everlasting...as TRUE LONG TIME RAM FANS know. Youve got to SEAL THE DEAL when you get to these big games. Do ya wanna be remembered with teams like the Steelers and *****...or the Bills?? All things said...there is really NO OTHER coach for this team. Seems as though I keep WAITING for this team to play the COMPLETE,MISTAKE FREE game. I sure didnt see it Sunday. Jim Thomas(Sporting News) summed it up as well as anyone could...'Mistakes caused the Rams to lose to a LESSER TEAM'. Not all those mistakes were ON THE FIELD.:angryram: :shield: Theres always NEXT YEAR?!?

bud4wiser is offline Registered User

I sounded alarm - no one listened

I sounded the alarm but no one "appeared" to be listening regarding Jones, Pace and Tucker. I just figured, like everyone else that Faulk, Conwell and Robinson would be used.

Regarding your "Martz" attack, please consider:

Someone needs to coach Warner to pull the ball down when he has someone in his face. Warner didn't have to throw that interception.

Even Ricky Proehl can cough it up when hit with a helmet at full bore. Martz wasn't a recevier on that play.

The RAMS defense only played for 58:30, just like old times. Smith, not Martz called the alignments for the last stand.

Did anyone notice that the PATS seemed as fast or faster than the RAM? Anyone notice they seemed to hit harder? Anyone notice that the Rams were outplayed the entire game?

Live Skunk is offline Registered User

Re: Bad head coach?

Originally posted by Evil Disco Man
    Simple as this: Mike Martz is the best thing that has happened to the Rams in the last five years, and any coach that can take his team to the Super Bowl isn't a bad coach. Don't judge him on one game.

:shield:
    Dick Vermeil is the best thing that has happened to the Rams in the last five years! Martz took a ride on his coattails. If Vermeil was still head coach the Rams would be celebrating their 2nd (possibly third) Lombardi Trophy.

Interesting

Hmmmm.....Interesting take.

Dick "the town cryer" Vermeil was not a bad thing that happened to this team, he was very good. Change is good and he was the beginning of the change. Martz carried it on to the next logical step. And hopefully he will continue to evolve as a coach and accept that change (even during a specific football game :v) ) is a good thing.

Ram Fan 1967-94 is offline Registered User

Dynasty?

This team is very much reminiscent of the 1988-90 Oakland A's: thoroughly dominant for three seasons, but only one title to show for it.

Vermeil had class. Martz has a brilliant offensive mind, but this team was way too ****y going into the big game.
    Martz is the type of guy who would on-side kick with a 24-point lead.

Ram Fan 1967-94 is offline Registered User
    Wow, what a filter! The deleted word I used in my previous post is a synonym for rooster
    Martz is the type of guy who would on-side kick with a 24-point lead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast