Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marc Bulger Fan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Mike Martz interested in running the St. Louis Rams offense

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/09/2009

Mike Martz is available. And yes, he's interested.

Currently a coaching "free agent," Martz told the Post-Dispatch on Thursday that he would be interested in returning to St. Louis to work on Jim Haslett's staff. That's assuming, of course, that Haslett is retained as Rams head coach.

"He's the only guy that I would consider (working for)," Martz said. "I think the world of him. I think he's an outstanding head coach."

Talk about strange bedfellows. Nearly a decade ago Martz and the Rams and Haslett and the New Orleans Saints were bitter rivals. They'd go back and forth in the media at each other in 2000 and 2001 when the Rams and Saints were members of the NFC West.

As Saints head coach, Haslett went 3-2 against the Rams (with Martz as head coach) over those two seasons. In 2000, the Saints won the first playoff game in franchise history 31-28 over the Rams squad known as the "Greatest Show on Turf."

The following year, in a 34-31 upset victory over the Rams, Haslett referred to the Rams and the Martz offense as running "bull (bleep) plays."

But the white-hot rivalry ended in 2002 when realignment sent the Saints to the NFC South. Martz was fired in St. Louis following the 2005 season, and has since been relieved of offensive coordinator duties in Detroit (after two seasons), and San Francisco (following this season).

Martz's headstrong ways frequently have gotten him in trouble. But no one can doubt his effectiveness. The Rams were 56-36 with him as head coach from 2000 through the first five games of '05 (he did not coach the final 11 games because of illness). They are 17-42 since he left.

He managed to move the football and score points in Detroit with average talent, and then in San Francisco with below-average talent.

There's more to this possible Haslett-Martz marriage than wishful thinking. Haslett phoned Martz on Thursday and talked to him about the possibility of joining his staff in St. Louis if Haslett gets the Rams job. "He's a proven winner as a head coach," Martz said. "It'd be an honor to work with him."

Martz declined further comment. But it's believed that Haslett and Martz are on the same page generally when it comes to potential Rams' needs on offense and defense. There's no doubt that Martz would be in favor of keeping wide receiver Torry Holt, and if anyone can talk the unhappy seven-time Pro Bowler into getting excited again about playing for St. Louis, it would be Martz.

Martz obviously can be high-maintenance. But Haslett has told some in the Rams organization that he feels he can work with him. According to one Rams Park insider, Haslett has said of Martz, "He just wants to win. If I need to stay on him about running the football, I will."

Even if Haslett gets the job, it's not as if Martz is his only potential candidate for offensive coordinator, replacing Al Saunders. Haslett presented a list of potential candidates for offensive and defensive coordinator, as well as special teams coach. (One of the candidates apparently already has been hired away by another team.)

In an ironic twist, on the same day that Martz publicly professed his interest in the Rams' job, it became known that Scott Linehan is a candidate for the offensive coordinator job in San Francisco.

Linehan did not return a phone message from the Post-Dispatch Thursday he has not returned numerous phone messages since his firing in St. Louis. But league sources in the Bay Area confirmed that Linehan will be interviewed. But it's believed to be a broad field; there are about a dozen candidates at this point, the sources said.

So Linehan, who succeeded Martz as head coach in St. Louis, could succeed him as coordinator in San Francisco.

Meanwhile in St. Louis, former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel interviewed for the Rams' head-coaching job and was headed out of town by mid-afternoon. Fassel is not considered a frontline candidate. New England offensive coordinator-quarterback coach Josh McDaniels will be interviewed today.

Also, Dallas wide receivers coach Ray Sherman confirmed to the Post-Dispatch on Thursday that he is supposed to interview with the Rams next week, although no date has been set.

01/09/2009 - Mike Martz interested in running the St. Louis Rams offense - STLtoday.com

~If Haslett stays head coach and brings in Mad Mike I'll have no problem with it as long as we win and Mike gets the offensive on track.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Mike Martz interested in running the St. Louis Rams offense

This is going to be awkward. But we cant say we didnt have good seasons under the Martz system.

Didn't Bulger have his best year under Martz? I want to see a different direction for this team, but if we win, I don't mind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Bulger had his best year, Linehans first season. But I suppose we can blame it on Martz. Everyone knows Martz loves Marshall Faulk, if Mike gets a job, it'd be interesting to see if Faulk is brought in in some way or another. Here's to Jim Haslett not getting the job.

Yodude is offline Registered User

I want to see a different direction for this team, but if we win...

Well....if we start winning....that WOULD be pretty different.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I'm all for it... Lets do it now

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'm currently of the opinion that retaining Haslett with a different set of co-ordinators is a very viable option for the Rams.

I'd personally have no problem with Martz returning, none at all.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I'm a big fan of Martz, and in the early 2000s I had dreams of he and Haslett being on the same staff, but I don't think it works for this team right now. The direction that the Rams are moving in is one of a new start - new owner, new front office, new players... which should go along with a new scheme and approach to the game.

Even if Martz is pressured to run the ball more, I'm not convinced his strength is a power running game, which is what I want to see the Rams' offense based around. The key to this combination of coaches would be a solid defense (read: very good DC) to round things out.

Furthermore, I couldn't see Devaney making such a risk so early in his career as GM. It seems to me that he'd want to establish a different face for the Rams - start fresh - not try the Back to the Future approach. Plus, he'd have to put up with one hell of a circus with all the characters involved. I'm sure Bernie is salivating over this news.

All that said, if this is what ended up happening, what the heck, I'd support it. Nail me on the fence.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

If haslett is going to bring martz back as OC then I'm behind haslett as the head coach and we will bring winning back to st louis

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

granted that martz had some great years in st louis... but really? How quickly we forget he destroys the qb he has with lack of protection. Kitna was healthy as a lion and also did pretty good when he was given the chance in Cinn. Kitna had a good time as a starter and also like bulger and warner before him got hit more than almost any other QB in the league. and o sullivan in san fran faired no better. with the weak injury prone line we have had for the last few years... If we do it we better actually try for a decent back up QB this year

majorram is offline Registered User

I just love this combo... I'm ALLLLL for this.....WOW this would make my day, having Mike back

I bet you can guess I would be a little happy to see mike back LOL

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

If we get Martz back, Steven Jackson will be pissed!!! Homeboy will be back in the dog house again.

All i can say is if Haslette gets the job and fired halfway through any of the seasons he's with us, Martz will most likely get the interim, and i surely don't want to go down that road again. It needs to work now!!! And please don't let this guy have any say on who we draft.....pleeeez!!!!!

ramstiles is offline Registered User

you are reading far to much into this haslett hasn't been given the job yet and you are talking about him being sacked Martz is a first class OC and I for one would be happy to see him back Before martz and vermeil the rams were poor for a long time since martz left we have been poor again. Faulk worked in martz offense and so could SJ

Steve we need to set up a martz fan club

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Did I miss something? Has Al Saunders been fired?

Saunders obviously knows about the Haslett interest in bringing in Martz.

Here's a tip for you AL. Start packing your bags.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Well, he wouldn't be the first Missouri NFL Head Coach to return as a coordinator to the team that fired him.

Sincerely,

Gunther Cunningham
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Bulger Fan View Post
    "He's the only guy that I would consider (working for)," Martz said. "I think the world of him. I think he's an outstanding head coach."
    That's some praise coming from Martz. There are several things I like about this:

1) Getting an offensive coordinator who has been able to create an exciting and prolific pass attack just about everywhere he goes.

2) The increased likelihood of a Bulger resurgence if Mike comes back.

3) Martz' track record as a quarterback mentor if we take one in the draft.

4) The intensity of a Martz/Haslett coaching staff.

5) The fact that these guys actually want to be here. Most of the coaches are interviewing with us because it's a chance to move up to the head position. I don't know if any of them really care one way or the other about St. Louis. In fact, going to the Rams franchise might actually be a negative in some of their minds. Haslett on the other hand is pulling strings, calling in favors, and evaluating every detail of the roster because he wants this job. And Martz specifically mentions wanting to work with Haslett.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast