Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Mike Martz interested in running the St. Louis Rams offense

You raise a good point Goldenfleece about a coach wanting to be with the Rams. This is however a huge step in wrong direction. If this team is going to establish a new identity with new players and new front office and possibly a new owner, this doesn't cut it.

I loved Mike Martz until his stubborn ways lost the Super Bowl for us in 2002. He is a genius in many respects but if he refuses to acknowledge that we are moving towards a ground attack rather than a passing attack, how can anyone be happy with him on our sidelines?

A previous post mentioned that Devaney won't put himself in this spot with his newly earned duties as GM and I think think that's dead-on. Devaney is too smart to allow that to happen. Plus if he thinks highly of Martz (which we don't know at this time), why wasn't he asked about the Atlanta job?

Let's not go Back to the Future. Go Rams!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    This is however a huge step in wrong direction. If this team is going to establish a new identity with new players and new front office and possibly a new owner, this doesn't cut it.

:
    That is exactly correct, IF this is a true statement. However if you are just trying to keep it together, without many strings attached for a new owner, this maybe a good settlement. In other words, Martz maybe able to make the team win just enough to keep us fans happy, and keep the costs and commitments low, so that if a new owner is found, they wouldn't be brought down by big obligations and could move in their own direction. I think the question of a new owner remains separate in this case.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

TekeRam is offline Registered User

mde, Martz wasn't brought in for the Atlanta job for the same reason that he's not being brought in for the Rams job. He sucks as a head coach.

However, he's a freaking genius when it comes to offensive coordinating. And that is what we're talking about here. We're not saying that he'd get to choose players in the draft or otherwise manage players. He'd just be the offensive coordinator and would be calling the plays.

More to the point, why did Bruce go to SF? One, because it hurt us a little, but also, because Martz was there. Martz coming back is the biggest chance for Ike to come back and actually play as opposed to just signing a retirement contract.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    mde, Martz wasn't brought in for the Atlanta job for the same reason that he's not being brought in for the Rams job. He sucks as a head coach.

However, he's a freaking genius when it comes to offensive coordinating. And that is what we're talking about here. We're not saying that he'd get to choose players in the draft or otherwise manage players. He'd just be the offensive coordinator and would be calling the plays.

More to the point, why did Bruce go to SF? One, because it hurt us a little, but also, because Martz was there. Martz coming back is the biggest chance for Ike to come back and actually play as opposed to just signing a retirement contract.
    I gotta admit even if he was a fourth reciver, (which I don't think he would be) I would love to see Ike come back. I still can't belive they let hm go like they did... Yeah yeah buisness I know... But repect for vets will always help in the FA market. Don't know if this is worth having MAD MArtz back but... I must say it would be something exciting if nothing else..

Keenum is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind having him back, but ONLY as offensive coordinator. With Martz, you gotta have somebody above him to keep him under control.
    Then we would still have somebody else at head coach to make decisions, and not leave Martz in charge of the team.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Couldn't be worse than the garbage we've had the last few yrs.....right???

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Most of the coaches are interviewing with us because it's a chance to move up to the head position. I don't know if any of them really care one way or the other about St. Louis. In fact, going to the Rams franchise might actually be a negative in some of their minds. Haslett on the other hand is pulling strings, calling in favors, and evaluating every detail of the roster because he wants this job.
    Whilst I agree that the Rams job is probably nothing more than a rung on the ladder for some of the candidates, it could also be argued that Haslett is only working so hard because he knows that we're the only team likely to offer him the position of Head Coach.

There's an enormous difference between passion and desperation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12