throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Mike Martz: NFL's Mr. October?

Associated Press
    10/19/2004
    Move over Reggie Jackson. Mike Martz is the NFL's version of Mr. October.

The Rams have won three straight since a 1-2 start after a 28-21 victory over Tampa Bay Monday night. They are 3-0 in October this season, 3-0 last October and 18-4 in the month since 1999. Martz took over as offensive coordinator that Super Bowl-winning season and became head coach the following year.

This season's October rejuvenation has moved the Rams (4-2) into first place in the NFC West heading into this weekend's game at winless Miami. After a sluggish September that ended with a 28-25 overtime loss at home to New Orleans -- when St. Louis surrendered a three-point lead in the final 23 seconds -- the Rams suddenly look like the team that has made the playoffs four of the last five seasons.

"We're getting some momentum going, and we're getting better every week," Martz said. "This is all you can ask for."

The Rams struggled early this year. Their offense sputtered along, averaging fewer than 20 points a game through September. On defense, the Rams gave up 34 points in a loss at Atlanta on Sept. 19, then forced just one punt in the loss to the Saints, and it was called back because of a roughing the kicker penalty.

The streak started with a 24-14 win at San Francisco on Oct. 3. Then came the potential season-saving rally at Seattle a week later. The Seahawks, undefeated at the time, appeared on the verge of moving 2.5 games ahead of St. Louis, leading 27-10 midway through the fourth quarter.

But Marc Bulger directed three scoring drives in the final six minutes and sent the game into overtime, where Bulger and Shaun McDonald connected on a 52-yard game-winning touchdown pass.

In the win over Tampa, the defense that allowed only three second-half points against Seattle stepped up again with an interception and three fumbles, one that set up a score and another that Adam Archuleta returned 93 yards for a touchdown.

The third fumble came in the game's waning seconds at the Rams 15 when Aeneas Williams stripped the ball from wide receiver Tim Brown as Tampa neared a potential game-tying score.

It may be early, but Archuleta said it feels good to be in first place.

"It's very big," he said. "We've been in a situation where we've played two good teams and we've won the tight games."

Staying on top won't be easy. After Miami the Rams have a bye week, then host the Patriots and Seattle the first two Sundays in November.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Mike Martz: NFL's Mr. October?

This just helps me think even more that Mike Martz is the VERY BEST thing to EVER happen to the St. Louis Rams. EVER. No question.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

If this season continues the way it's going now, Mike Martz should be nominated for Coach of the Year. Doubt it will happen since everybody seems to hate him.
    Last edited by ZigZagRam; -10-20-2004 at 02:02 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I thought that he should have been the Coach of the Year last year but it's hard to argue with the success Fox had with Carolina. Now, if they give the award to Andy Reid I'll scream fix but if they go with Tice (and Minnesota keeps being successful) it will be extremely hard to argue with their choice.

maineram Guest

Being labeled Mr. October is awfully nice, but we all know that your season is won or lost in November & December.
    I'm looking for a "Mr. January" !!! 3-0 in January...now your talking.

Maineram :ramlogo:

Marshall1 Guest

Unhappy Re: Mike Martz: NFL's Mr. October?

I still think Mike Martz is an offensive coordinator! With that said I think that he is doing an outstandind job! I don't think he has what it takes to WIN another SuperBowl. As for M.r October goes it's a nice touch. Mr. Janurary is where we want to be, like Maineram said.