RamWraith is offline Registered User

Mike Martz Press conference

Monday, September 19, 2005

(Opening statement)

?Good afternoon. Well, it feels good, obviously, to win a division game on the road. Those things are hard to do, particularly at the beginning of the year, so to come away at this point after a disappointing start up in San Francisco, to be one-and-one feels good being in a position to open up at home in the third week.

A couple things about the game: our special teams play, I thought improved remarkably. The special teams player of the game is Reggie Hodges, and Reggie?s numbers, seven punts for 42.9 average, a 40 yard net. He had one inside the 20 yard line and a longest one of 55 . Very consistent. The thing that we have always asked of Reggie is that consistency that allows us good field position, and really was a difficult? He hung the ball up nice, turned the ball over, difficult balls to return. He was outstanding in this game. It was what we hoped we would get when we went out there. Hopefully, Reggie can continue along those lines. I thought that our kickoff coverage, the average starting field position was the 20-yardline, which is outstanding. the kicking game the battle, really, is for field position and then anything else, from a turnover standpoint that you can get is a bonus. I think from a field position standpoint our teams were excellent, particularly the coverage teams.

Defensively, there are some outstanding efforts there defensively. Adam Archuleta, six tackles, a tackle for a loss and three assists, and the tackle for a loss, of course, was the sack. Leonard Little, four tackles, three assists, a fumble recovery. He had six hits on the quarterback. He had one quarterback pressure, an outstanding afternoon for Leonard. Jimmy Kennedy probably one of his best games of his career here, had three tackles, had a tackle for a loss, had two sacks, had a caused fumble, quarterback hit, and then two quarterback pressures. Our defensive player of the game, Ryan Pickett, he had four tackles, five assists, two sacks, a caused fumble, and a hit on the quarterback. And I thought Pisa did an outstanding job. The corner, DeJuan Groce had a real nice interception down the sideline. I thought we played real good team defense. The completed ball, I think we rallied to it, got them out on a awful lot of third-down situations, which was a difficult thing for us last year and years past. third and long, we weren?t very good. We rallied here. Larry has done a really nice job of putting this defense together and this package, and some real nicely timed calls down there in the redzone, and that blitz to get the sack to win the game.

Offensively, the player of the game, Steven Jackson, 18 carried for 93 yards, 5.2 average, with a touchdown. He had a couple of catches, and he did an outstanding job pass blocking.
    Andy McCollum was outstanding. Isaac Bruce was outstanding five catches, and just did an outstanding job of blocking. One of the things that I think, other players, when they do their Pro Bowl balloting, when they look at Isaac, not only does he run terrific routes and catch the ball and all of those good things, but very unselfish. He does an outstanding job down the field in terms of effort and making good blocks. Roland Williams, I thought, was very good in this game as well. It?s starting to come together a little bit. We?re not where we need to be, obviously, but we?re very pleased with the effort I got down there in the heat. Our guys performed very well. We had a number of players go down with this stomach flu; three of them in particular, and we were able to fight through it. Big-O went back in and played. It was a tough afternoon. It was a hard fought win. We?re excited about it, very proud of the fact that these guys played hard throughout the game.?

(On whether there are any plans to change the return game)

?We do. You know, there?s a couple things that we?re going to do here in the next week from a personnel standpoint that we think might give us a little bit of a boost there too, particularly, in the punt return. The kickoff return, we?ll just have to see. We want to make sure when we look at the tape that we?re getting guys blocked, because it doesn?t really make sense to change those kinds of things unless the returner is the fault. I want to make sure what the fault and what the reason is. I think next week, we have a couple of things that we?re going to look at to give us a little bit of a boost there.?

(On why Arlen Harris took Chris Johnson?s place returning kicks mid-game)

?On the kickoff returns, no I think that C.J. was involved defensively quite a bit, and I think that was probably the main reason.?

(On whether he thinks Arlen Harris could still break a kickoff)

?I do. I think the biggest thing about Arlen is with the loss of weight his speed has improved dramatically. I think it is what it was when he was in college when he played. His weight is way down, 15 pounds. I think he is excited about the potential about doing that. I think that he?s going to give us some outstanding field position to begin with, which is a first step. This is what we like about C.J., because C.J. is a long distance guy. He?s like Tony Horne. Those guys are hard to come by, and they are hard to find. He?s not C.J. with his speed, but I think that he is capable of doing it now. I think last year he couldn?t have done it. He just didn?t have the tendencies.?

(On what changes were made in the special teams for Arizona)

?We got some veterans more involved. It was difficult?you project some of these rookies based on the preseason and their play, and then when the regular season started the speed of this game changes so dramatically. They were a little shocked by it. So we had to make a move quickly, and we did that in just a couple of areas that I think helped us. Now I think the guys are a little less jittery or nervous about their role in it and what they are doing.?

(On getting advice for challenging plays)
    ?We have guys upstairs that wait on that TV copy, and sometimes that doesn?t come soon enough. If I see it on the field, like the first challenge, Joe Vitt saw it right away and said you have to challenge this. They said not to challenge it. Joe?s eyes are better on the field. If I can see it, I?m going to challenge it, regardless of what anybody says, which was the second challenge. I didn?t think he caught that ball. I was looking right at it, and he didn?t have control. I saw the ball hit, but obviously they couldn?t see it on that longer ball. You rely on those guys upstairs to a certain extent, but anything that I see on the field, or the coaches see, and really there is Joe that I rely on, on defense and myself on offense, to make those decisions. Joe was so emphatic about it. The guys upstairs said no, they couldn?t quite tell, but Joe said he could see it, challenge it. So, we challenged it. Some of the replay is hard to see. I think the best rule of thumb is if you see it, and you?re clear with it on the field, that?s what we do. If you aren?t sure, and they aren?t sure upstairs, you just don?t call it. The sideline deal, the bottom of the screen, evidently, on the replay, from what Steve was telling me, he couldn?t tell whether his foot was in or out. It was probably worth the challenge at that point; we probably should have challenged it, just because of how close it was in the game.?

(On how he changed styles at the end of the game)

?Our defense was playing so well that I was a little conservative, probably more conservative than I should have been. We had a tackle that was hurting pretty well. I was a little concerned with the pressure of doing something dumb and turning the ball over. I did get really conservative at the end of the game, and I kind of regret it. We had those corners out there one on one. I think with the situation where we could have been very effective with some simple plays out there. Steven was anxious to have the load on him. He was going so well, and we just had a couple of broken assignments inside where I think we would have had some really good runs to break out of there, especially that last one. When you have the ball at the 50 or so and to not get the first down, to not push it down there and get three points, that?s the most regrettable thing about this game, to me, and that?s probably more play selection that anything else.?

(On if he wanted RB Steven Jackson to have the ball more in the second half)

?If Steven is having the ball more in the second half, that?s what we did in ?99 with Marshall , that means you have come out and put some points on the board, and you can control that game. That?s a nice feeling. When you are ahead like that, you?d like to do that. What they had done from the first half, when we came out, their corners were so isolated and their ends were so far up the field, that we went into some screens and some balls to the wide receivers. It seemed to work pretty well. It seemed to loosen them up a little bit, and Steven put the ball in the end zone. It?s a nice mix. I think it?s a really good mix. I think you just get a feel for the game. We?ve always done it that way, if we feel like we can get those guys isolated. There is a double-edged sword there defensively. Now that he?s going so well, what do you do? We have to make sure that you take away. I think at the end of the game, it was a situation where we could have thrown some shorter balls and had some completions and probably put that game away, but I would like to give him the ball more.?

(On T Blaine Saipaia against Arizona)

?He did o.k. I think, when he hasn?t been playing out there, he gets a little anxious. On a couple of run plays, had he made his block, it would have helped us a great deal, and he made some outstanding blocks. He had a couple of errors that hurt a little bit in the running game, but he made some terrific blocks too. So, that will get cleaned up. Right now, he?s our best choice out there, and he?s playing well, not as well as he can or will, but I?ve always felt really good about Blaine. I know he?s a guard, eventually, but he?s athletic enough and has that presence to him where he can go out there and compete and not be overwhelmed by all that stuff.?

(On how T Alex Barron is progressing)

?He?s done a terrific job in camp. As a matter of fact, he?s way further ahead than I would ever give him credit for. The toughness, and his tenacity and knowledge of what we?re doing is coming along, but it?s different out here in practice. Like I said earlier about the special teams and some of the rookies, the game is so much faster. The best thing for Alex to do is not play this year if we can win. It?s like a quarterback, then they can play the right way. They can get in there, and they don?t get overwhelmed and develop bad habits and overset and all of the stuff that happens to tackles. He is really progressing well. I think that if he had to play here in a few weeks, he probably could play.?

(On if he would be upset if T Alex Barron did not play at all this season)

?Oh no, because that means we are playing well. So, no, heck no, I?d be very happy if he doesn?t play. That means that he can continue to grow and mature at that position, and that means that we are playing well at the tackle position.?

(On QB Marc Bulger?s performance against Arizona)

?I think Marc did ok. Overall, I thought he threw the ball very well. I didn?t give him many chances, to be honest with you. So, it is kind of hard to evaluate that. We didn?t put it in his hands, necessarily, to win the game. He was fine.?

(On if he is happy with the number of carries RB Marshall Faulk is getting)

?Yeah, he is doing a good job. Of course that varies from week to week with the personnel groupings that we have.?

(On where the defensive front is compared to last year)

?There?s no comparison, our defensive front is light years ahead of where it was a year ago. I think the combination of Green and Hargrove on that end has really helped us replace Grant , in that respect. It keeps us fresh. Leonard , right now, is playing better than he?s ever played. I think the feeling there too is that our linebacker core is so squared away. It allows them to make a lot more plays, and I think that?s very important when you look at our front seven.?

(On if the defensive front hasn?t been tested the first two weeks)

?Who knows? You still have to play, and if you are good, you still have to make those plays. They are competing very well, and they are getting better every week. So, that?s all you can ask for.?

I saw the ram pushing westward, and northward, and southward; so that no beasts might stand before him, neither [was there any] that could deliver out of his hand; but he did according to his will, and became great. Daniel 8:4

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Mike Martz Press conference

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    I saw the ram pushing westward, and northward, and southward; so that no beasts might stand before him, neither [was there any] that could deliver out of his hand; but he did according to his will, and became great. Daniel 8:4
    Hey, where have I seen this before?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

coy bacon Guest

1 In the third year of King Belshazzar's reign, I, Daniel, had a vision, after the one that had already appeared to me. 2 In my vision I saw myself in the citadel of Susa in the province of Elam; in the vision I was beside the Ulai Canal. 3 I looked up, and there before me was a ram with two horns, standing beside the canal, and the horns were long. One of the horns was longer than the other but grew up later. 4 I watched the ram as he charged toward the west and the north and the south. No animal could stand against him, and none could rescue from his power. He did as he pleased and became great.
    5 As I was thinking about this, suddenly a goat with a prominent horn between his eyes came from the west, crossing the whole earth without touching the ground. 6 He came toward the two-horned ram I had seen standing beside the canal and charged at him in great rage. 7 I saw him attack the ram furiously, striking the ram and shattering his two horns. The ram was powerless to stand against him; the goat knocked him to the ground and trampled on him, and none could rescue the ram from his power. 8

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel 8:5-7
    5 As I was thinking about this, suddenly a goat with a prominent horn between his eyes came from the west, crossing the whole earth without touching the ground. 6 He came toward the two-horned ram I had seen standing beside the canal and charged at him in great rage. 7 I saw him attack the ram furiously, striking the ram and shattering his two horns. The ram was powerless to stand against him; the goat knocked him to the ground and trampled on him, and none could rescue the ram from his power. 8
    Aw, Coy, what a buzzkill! You went and quoted verses 5-7, that's the bad part for the Ram. :tongue: That's why my sig only has verse 4, that's where the Ram looks good.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Of course, the moral of the story is that one goat can bring down a good team.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, if divine intervention had ANYTHING to do with sports, I think KW would have had 50 seconds left on the clock at the end of the game Sunday instead of 14 seconds.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith

(On whether he thinks Arlen Harris could still break a kickoff)

"I do."
    Let's get back on topic shall we.

If I had heard this response, I would have wanted to pour bleach in my ears and hoped for a whitening of the brain. As it is, now I'm hoping that this is just temporary sun spot blindess and not cataracts that is causing my blindness ...

Scidog68 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    province of Elam

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Is that Martz for real? He sounds too sane to be Martz. Was he reading off note cards?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tony Soprano Guest

I don't know.. It doesn't look like our Offense.

Sure, there are some good things, but the Cardinals did take us down to the last play of the game. Maybe they will round into form.

Little played great. Kennedy was very good. Pickett was outstanding. Archuletta had a good game YET we were one play away from losing.. Our Offense has to improve.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -09-21-2005 at 01:37 AM.

jkramsfan Guest

tony, very true, we were very lucky at the end of .that game

coy bacon Guest

Gee,
    I kinda thought the Lord was smiling upon the Rams at the end of the Zona game. Kurt don't get all the perks.

I think Arlen Harris could break a long one... if he had George W blocking for him. Anyone who is capable of creating a hurricane, directing it to New Orleans, and targeting the poor people, should be able to block on KO returns.