• 3 Post By RealRam
  • 1 Post By Varg6

Thread: Mikell still possible, Stewart/McLeod have opportunity

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Mikell still possible, Stewart/McLeod have opportunity

stltoday.com
    Rams still interested in re-signing Mikell
    • By Jim Thomas

Some way, somehow, Jeff Fisher would like to have strong safety Quintin Mikell back on the roster in 2013. But at this point in the offseason, less than two weeks into the free agency period, there’s no guarantee that will happen.

“We have interest,” Fisher said at the NFL owners’ meetings. “He played very well for us last year.”

With his base salary scheduled to jump to $6 million from $1 million in 2013, releasing Mikell almost was a necessity at the start of the free agency.

“It’s just one of those things that you have to do once you get in the process (of free agency) and you start making moves,” Fisher said. “But we have interest. The defensive staff was really happy with him last year.”

Basically, the Rams needed to make sure they had enough salary-cap room when it became apparent that they’d have a chance to sign tight end Jared Cook and offensive tackle Jake Long in free agency.

The Rams tried to restructure Mikell’s contract, which had two years remaining, before releasing him.

“Things didn’t work out,’’ Fisher said. “We got in a hurry. We needed the space.”

The number of safeties remaining on the free-agent market is dwindling almost by the day.

One of the best still available, former Oakland Raider Michael Huff, has not heard from the Rams.

With limited cap space, the Rams simply might not have enough money to sign a safety in free agency.

Besides, the team could be targeting a backup offensive guard with some of its remaining cap room to replace departed center/guard Robert Turner. Turner signed a one-year, $1.5 million deal with Tennessee.

So the Rams almost certainly will take a safety — maybe two — in the NFL draft. Otherwise, they have Darian Stewart, Rodney McLeod and Matthew Daniels on the roster at the position. After having scant playing time in 2012, Stewart could step back into the starting role he had in 2011 when he started 13 games.

McLeod in particular also could compete for playing time.

“I wouldn’t have any problem with playing Rodney,” Fisher said. “Matt didn’t get the experience. First and foremost for Matt, he’s gonna have to rehab and get back, and then compete.”

Daniels played in only four games last season, and was placed on the injured reserve list Nov. 7 because of a knee injury.

As for McLeod, “I really trust Rodney,” Fisher continued. “And the same thing with Darian. It’s Darian’s opportunity now to step up and take charge of that position.”

McLeod, like Daniels, was signed as an undrafted rookie last year.

McLeod played on special teams all season but got close to getting on the field on defense in certain packages late in the year when cornerback Cortland Finnegan was banged up.

“We were comfortable with Rodney at the nickel spot, so had ‘Cort’ not been able to finish, Rodney would’ve been our third corner,” Fisher said. “So he’s got the versatility to play safety and the third corner spot.”

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Mikell still possible, Stewart/McLeod have opportunity

Well let's bring Q back! By all means (almost).

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I know its a knee-jerk reaction but am surprised they haven't cut a new deal for Bradford to free-up cap room. Yah I know Bradford is under contract for the next couple seasons...yet I wonder what Fisher and FO are thinking that they aren't mentioning

Rammed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    I know its a knee-jerk reaction but am surprised they haven't cut a new deal for Bradford to free-up cap room. Yah I know Bradford is under contract for the next couple seasons...yet I wonder what Fisher and FO are thinking that they aren't mentioning
    They are thinking that they can't cut anything of his salary that would create room. Has been mentioned over and over in many FA threads. Think Barry Walter wrote an extensive post about if you want to search for it.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I'd love to have Mikell back. I thought he was productive and a good fit in Fisher's system. I hope we're able to get him. It's good to know that we were negotiating with him to the very last minute we could...because I always wondered, did he leave with a sour feeling, or was he okay with the whole "it's just business" thing? I've always wondered with that in general with free agency, but I digress. I'm just glad there's a chance. My question is this: how exactly do we go about getting an appropriate contract for him? Do we have the money?
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I agree with Varg6, I'd love to have Mikell back. He's very strong in the box playing the run and that means we need to draft simply a cover safety to play centerfield so to speak. I just hope we can find the money to re-sign him.

Go Rams!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Still don't know why Dahl was in the line up while Stewart was healthy.

Almost any NFL safety could match what Dahl gave us.

I sure am glad he's gone, I would've rather played with 10 men than to bring him back.

Now watch him turn into an all-pro in SF.