Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Miklasz: More wins will require more points ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Miklasz: More wins will require more points ..

In analyzing the Ramsí prospects for making the 2013 NFL playoffs, I believe itís best to keep it ridiculously simple.

Hereís what the Rams must do:

Score more points.

Thatís brilliant insight, I know.

Seriously, it really is a basic concept. A teamís points-scored total is a clear marker that clarifies its chances of becoming a playoff team.

Iím going to hit you with some numbers:

Over the past 10 seasons, 120 teams have made the playoffs.

The 120 teams averaged 25 points per game.

Among the 120 qualifiers only nine averaged fewer than 20 points per game.

And 73 percent averaged at least 23 points per game.

Assuming that the Rams defense plays reasonably well again this season, hereís the challenge for the 2013 Rams offense: inflate the scoring average to true-contender status.

In 2012 the STL offense made nominal progress under first-year head coach Jeff Fisher and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

The Rams averaged 18.7 points per game. That wasnít nearly enough, ranking 25th among the 32 teams and failing to come close to the playoff-qualifier standard.

The Rams have to find a way to score about six, seven points more per game in 2013. Field goals are OK, but a pumped-up touchdown total is the fastest way for the Rams to make the leap.

Really, theyíre not that far away. Over their final eight games last season the Rams averaged 20.2 points; at least they were crawling in the right direction.

Hereís how the Rams can close the points-scored gap in 2013:

1. Put more playmakers in the huddle.

Itís too soon to declare ďMission Accomplished,Ē but over the offseason, Fisher and GM Les Snead infused their offense with more speed and overall skill. The draft-day additions of wide receivers Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey and the signing of free agent tight end Jared Cook should make a positive difference. Same with free-agent offensive tackle Jake Long.

Itís reasonable to expect improvement from the delegation of second-year and third-year players: wide receivers Chris Givens, Brian Quick and Austin Pettis and tight end Lance Kendricks.

ďItís a young group but a very fast and explosive group,Ē Schottenheimer said last month. ďJust watching some of the playmakers we have, you see guys making one-handed catches, guys making (tacklers) miss out in space. That gets you excited.Ē

2. Shorten the field.

This has been a big problem. Last season the Rams ranked 31st in average starting field position. The Rams had 182 offensive possessions last season and 56 began from inside their own 20-yard line. Only four teams had more possessions originating from inside their 20.

The Rams began a drive inside the opponentís 50-yard line 15 times; only six teams had fewer. The 12 playoff teams averaged 23 possessions that started inside the 50.

So yes, field position matters. Playing on long fields was an obvious factor in the Ramsí low number of red-zone possessions last season. They ranked 29th in the NFL with only 37 red-zone series.

This is where Austin can provide an edge. Heís a dynamic punt-return man. The Rams have to develop a more threatening kickoff-return game. Weíre likely to see an extended audition this summer, with the mix including Givens, Isaiah Pead, Bailey, Chase Reynolds, etc.

3. More takeaways.

This is also part of the short-field equation. The Rams defense scored four touchdowns last season (applause) but finished 23rd with 21 takeaways. Only one team had fewer fumble recoveries than the Ramsí four.

4. More quick-strike drives.

The Rams had 27 scoring drives last season, and 22 covered 60 yards or longer. The average length of their scoring drives (8.58 plays) was the fifth-highest in the NFL. And only six teams had more 10-play drives than the Rams.

Itís difficult to navigate through long distances to score points when one mistake can wreck a drive.

The need for quick scores ó lasting less than four plays ó is essential. The Rams had only two quick-score touchdowns last season and only the New York Jets (with one) were worse.

5. More breakout runs.

I realize most people probably associate deep passes with big plays, but the Rams have been limited by a grinding rushing attack that lacked sting.

The Rams had only 10 runs of 20-plus yards last season, which ranked 18th. And they didnít have a single touchdown run for 20-plus yards. (They ranked 14th with eight touchdown passes of 20-plus yards.)

The Rams have scored only one 20-yard-plus touchdown run in their past 36 games. With all due respect to the departed Steven Jackson the Ramsí new ensemble backfield ó which features upgraded speed ó should generate more big runs.

6. Improved efficiency in the red zone.

The Rams werenít awful in this area last season. They scored 19 touchdowns on 37 red-zone series and that 51.4 percent TD rate ranked 19th.

Still, the Rams must do better in 2013. Hereís a reason for optimism: we witnessed genuine progress last season when the Rams scored 12 touchdowns in 19 red-zone shots (63 percent) over their final eight games.

Sam Bradford had nine red-zone TD passes (with one interception) down the stretch. And going forward, the QB will have more playmakers to create more favorable red-zone matchups.

The Rams figure to be more dangerous offensively in 2013. Several reasons: Bradfordís improvement and added experience, an enhanced group of receivers, more zip in the backfield, and more variety as Schottenheimer likely shifts to a one-back, spread-formation attack.

Iím confident that the Rams will score more points, but will it be enough to reach the established playoff-level standard?

Going into training camp, thatís my No. 1 question.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Miklasz: More wins will require more points ..

"I can't honestly decide whether to say "duh", "adoy" or a very sarcastic, "Oh, really?"

-- Dr. Perry Cox

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I guess we can agree that at least this time around he's admitting that all he's doing is stating the very obvious.

Did you know, that if you:

1. Take the total points scored by your team;
    2. Multiply it by the square root of the the average weight of the offensive line squared;
    3. Divide that number by the average weight of the offensive line; and
    4. Subtract from that number the average number of points scored in each quarter of the game by the opposing team, times 4.

If the resulting number is greater than zero, then your team has won the game.

Amazing!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Did you know, that if you:

1. Take the total points scored by your team;
    2. Multiply it by the square root of the the average weight of the offensive line squared;
    3. Divide that number by the average weight of the offensive line; and
    4. Subtract from that number the average number of points scored in each quarter of the game by the opposing team, times 4.

If the resulting number is greater than zero, then your team has won the game.

Amazing!
    Are you SURRRRRRRE? Maybe we should ask BM to confirm, just to be on the safe side.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Funny. This thing for Bernie bashing. I do not care for him one way or another. But if you can get past the Bernie part, he does bring up some points that are not totally useless.
    live4ramin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrammer View Post
    Funny. This thing for Bernie bashing. I do not care for him one way or another. But if you can get past the Bernie part, he does bring up some points that are not totally useless.
    Agreed. I myself don't really know how / when / why this banality of Bernie started. I follow because sometimes it is funny[?]. Or perhaps because it is the offseason.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Honestly, the obligatory bashing is causing me to drift away from this site. I suggest to the BM reactionaries here that they occasionally get some news and opinion from someone other than themselves. It's getting tiresome boys.
    MauiRam likes this.
    Prepare to be amazed.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Honestly, the obligatory bashing is causing me to drift away from this site. I suggest to the BM reactionaries here that they occasionally get some news and opinion from someone other than themselves. It's getting tiresome boys.
    That's silly. I don't think anyone has an issue getting news and opinion from someone other than themselves. The issue is that, when I read an article by a supposedly in-the-know local reporter, I expect more insight about the team than something my elementary students could muster with minimal knowledge about the sport.

The ways Bernie has identified to "close the point-scored gap" are things that have already been discussed ad nauseum about the Rams. Is it new to anyone that the Rams needed to add playmakers, get better starting field position, have better red zone efficiency, achieve more takeaways? If there's any new information in this article, it's the numbers on quick-strike drives, but it's hidden in a near thousand word article that does little but overstate the obvious.

If that's something you consider great insight worthy of respect and praise, go for it. Others obviously disagree and expect higher quality coverage from someone who never shies away from letting his readers have it when he thinks they deserve it.
    RealRam likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Okay, I hear you. And I believe you are entitled to your opinion. But, from my standpoint, I think we have a right to expect more from those who have the good fortune of being able to cover the Rams for a living. Clearly, some of us perceived this article as lazy and lacking in any original insight.

As for the concept of "Bernie bashing" overall, I think its pretty clear that Bernie himself could not care less what I, or anyone else here, thinks or writes about him.

OK then. Don't post his stuff. There are other outlets anyway and that's where it comes from.

I think Bernie rates right under Bradford as chum for the sharks here anyway.
    Prepare to be amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by Live4ramin View Post
    OK then. Don't post his stuff. There are other outlets anyway and that's where it comes from.

I think Bernie rates right under Bradford as chum for the sharks here anyway.

??????????

I don't post his stuff, I just comment on it when it is posted.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    "I can't honestly decide whether to say "duh", "adoy" or a very sarcastic, "Oh, really?"

-- Dr. Perry Cox
    Noted.....
    Prepare to be amazed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast