throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    general counsel is online now Registered User

Re: Minicamp Stories-Rams (John Clayton's Report)

At the end of camp, the rams should keep their best team as the final roster. If the coaches think that all the other defensive tackles are better than kennedy, i have no problem cutting kennedy. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i strongly disagree that kennedy is worse than the mid to low round picks at defensive tackle we have on our roster today and i think its fantasy to believe that the performance of any rookie is "guaranteed" to be better than kennedy.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    So now Kennedy is heartless? The same Kennedy that screwed up his leg in '04 camp, and managed to play 9 games on an injury that should have been season ending? The same Kennedy that banged up his wrist in week 1 last season, yet didn't miss a game? The same Kennedy that played NT for the first time in his life last year?

I make no apologies for Kennedy....he hasn't played up to potential. Joe Pa's monster that made Michael Haynes an NCAA star never made it to St. Louis. And for the life of me, I don't know why. IMO, he got bad advice from Lavar Arrington, but he's his own man and should have overcome that. But I digress.

However, we (Rams fans) have made Kennedy the scapegoat for this defenses troubles. He's "A" problem, not "THE" problem with our run D.

But to call him "heartless"? Pisa plays hurt (in his natural position), and he has more heart than an Ann & Nancy Wilson fan club. But when Kennedy plays hurt (in a new position), he's heartless?
    I'm with you on this HUB. Kennedy played last season with a broken hand? Broke it in the 1st game of the season?

I seem to remember Haslett being very high on Kennedy at the beginning of last season. If not for the injury who knows how this warrior would have played.

:r

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

You have to give JK the benefit right now. If he doesn't play well in camp, he will not be starting it's that simple. We have some depth now, something we haven't had in the past, it should make for an interesting pre-season. You can pencil in Carriker at one of the DT spots, the other is up for grabs.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Country Guest

I will give Kennedy a shot this year, but who knows he might try extra hard in a contract year to get paid again and then go right back to being absolutly terrible. You have to watch out for a guy that gets good in a contract year.

The future, whether Kennedy plays well or not, is not Jimmy Kennedy. It is Carriker, Wroten, Jackson and Ryan.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Kennedy heartless? Don't think so. I think everyone MISSED THE POINT on the Clayton article. The coaches asked Kennedy to fill the two gap and wrestle two guys. Clayton said "he just wouldn't do it." I don't think he meant Kennedy refused to do it: he meant he just couldn't get the job done. That doesn't mean he's heartless. Just because coaches ask a player to do a job, and the don't get it done, doesn't mean they are heartless ....

He might not be a solution, he is part of the problem. Honestly though, like a few have mentioned, he is a human being, and a stand-up guy from what I understand ...

Before you rant about Kennedy being heartless, and you degrade his character, not only as a football player, but also as a person, you should really think about who really is heartless: the subject of the criticism or the source?

Country Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Kennedy heartless? Don't think so. I think everyone MISSED THE POINT on the Clayton article. The coaches asked Kennedy to fill the two gap and wrestle two guys. Clayton said "he just wouldn't do it." I don't think he meant Kennedy refused to do it: he meant he just couldn't get the job done. That doesn't mean he's heartless. Just because coaches ask a player to do a job, and the don't get it done, doesn't mean they are heartless ....

He might not be a solution, he is part of the problem. Honestly though, like a few have mentioned, he is a human being, and a stand-up guy from what I understand ...

Before you rant about Kennedy being heartless, and you degrade his character, not only as a football player, but also as a person, you should really think about who really is heartless: the subject of the criticism or the source?
    Kennedy is 6'4" 330lbs. what is stopping him from holding two gaps. It is really not that hard to move from DT to NT and some how this guy could not keep from being blown off the line.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Kennedy is 6'4" 330lbs. what is stopping him from holding two gaps. It is really not that hard to move from DT to NT and some how this guy could not keep from being blown off the line.
    Well part of the problem could be that until last season his job was to get up field, and I seem to recall that Packer game in which he was in the back field quite a bit, the problem was that by then the runner was already past him. He is now being asked to stay at the line and take on two or more blockers. I'm not making excuses, but some people take a little longer to get things down, and maybe JK is just now starting to figure it out.

Either way I'm sure the extra completion in camp just may push him to get with the program.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post

I think that it is YOU that has missed the point of the Clayton piece: the context of the entire article was a contrast between the coachibilty of A. Carriker versus the obstinancy of J. Kennedy. Compare quotes like"...what they love about Carriker is how COACHABLE he is...", with "...couldn't get Kennedy to do the proper technique in helping stop the run." And, "He (Kennedy) just wouldn't do it." Obviously Jimmy "Dead" Kennedy is not willing to listen to the coaches and his play and the Rams suffer for it. The question isn't whether Kennedy can "get it done", but rather does he care enough to even try. If you don't like words such as "heartless", then perhaps you could use words like 'feckless', 'uncaring', 'sloppy', and/or 'unmotivated'. Feel free to use one of these or add some of your own. At any rate, the facts remain the same.

WHAT SAY YE?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

It always amazes me how the monday morning quarterbacks think it's okay to call people "worthless jerks". But that is your freedom I guess ....

Amazing how Clayton is bashed nonstop on this board, then we he mentions something negative about Kennedy, he becomes a diety ...

Too much negativity around here ...
    Last edited by HUbison; -05-17-2007 at 12:13 PM. Reason: No personal attacks, please

keith m. klink Guest

i think it would be wise to trade him now for anything we could get , even 2009 middle round picks . i've had it with player signing huge money contracts and loafing for 3-1/2 years until ( CONTRACT YEAR ) before showing some effort , to get big paydays AGAIN , and then sit back and be average AGAIN. i agree to give the roster spot to a kid who will break his bones and bleed for the roster spot . will do exactly what the coaches ask of him and learn to be a starter or role player . i'm sick of this prema -donna crap , that players can't be bothered by what the TEAM needs , but what they want , and that is to be the star . 4years of kennedy has been 2-too many .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12