Thread: Misconceptions

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Misconceptions

I gotta' say, I'm a bit frustrated today- as is everyone else on this board who eats, drinks and sleeps Rams football. Furthering the frustration is a number of comments and sentiments that have been expressed over the recent weeks and have come to a head with last night's loss. In no particular order:

1. "SHURMUR SUCKS"-
    Playcalling has been an issue throughout the season. Shurmur, like every other coach and player needs to reevaluate his approach, what worked, what didn't work and what must be adjusted. That said, I vehmently disagree with those who feel this guy is terrible. When you have a below average group of receivers- and make no mistake, that's what the Rams have- you will construct a game plan that's close to the vest. It isn't exciting to watch, it isn't sexy, but it's smart football. You WILL NOT take a dozen shots downfield. You WILL NOT take a ton of chances knowing you are not a team that can come back (Last time the Rams overcame a deficit of 7 points or more in the 4th quarter was in 2005- anyone see that stat last night??) Shurmur and the rest of the staff did a pretty good job this year of making chicken salad out of chicken #### offensively.

2. "WE DON'T RUN JACKSON ENOUGH"-

Absolute garbage. Now, you can certainly make the argument we didn't use him enough last night, but on a game by game basis, Jackson gets more carries than all but one other RB in the NFC.

3. "RECEIVER SHOULDN"T BE A PRIORITY EARLY IN THE 2011 DRAFT"

Anyone with two eyes knows this team needs a couple of playmakers. We currently have none. And don't throw Danario Alexander's name at me. While he might become a good complimentary receiver, he laid a fat egg in the biggest of spots last night. Avery can't be counted on. Amendola is not a featured receiver. Clayton is a question mark for next year. And do one else is even remotely close to being a quality long term answer.

4. "WE'RE TOO CONSERVATIVE ON OFFENSE"

Again, when you have major questions at the skill positions and a team that is not explosive, you are limited in what you can do. There are only so many end arounds you can run (how did THAT work last night??). You must pick your spots when taking chances downfield. Four times Bradford threw 20 plus yards last night. And four times guys dropped passes that were catchable, including two by Alexander. Is it any wonder the coaches take a conservative approach?

5. "WE WEREN'T INSPIRED LAST NIGHT"

Last night's loss wasn't a result of not caring. It was an inability to make a play when one needed to be made. Critical penalties at inopportune times. Dropping the football. Not taking advantage of the 1 turnover and the few times we had decent field position. There is a difference between "flat" and "unproductive", and we were the latter. We were absolutely NOT READY on Seattle's opening drive- be it nerves, lack of focus or whatever. But defensively from that point forward, we played well enough to win.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Re: Misconceptions

Completely agree with everything you said. Hopefully a good draft and FA and we will be back at the top.

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Re: Misconceptions

Agree with everything you said there (I said similar in my own post earlier, but your version is much more succinct!). The other thing about these short passes is that they help build Bradford's game, confidence and abilities in the NFL. Having him throwing deep for incompletions or interceptions won't help him any more than it wouldn't help us. Three or four yard grabs are better than nothing, as uninspiring as that sounds.