Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Missing Camp Time

Is missing several days of training camp really that big of a deal?

As you can all probably guess I am mainly referring to the Barron situation.

Martz claims that one day of camp missed puts a player light years behind. I think we all know that is another gross exageration by Martz.

Sure, I imagine it puts a player a tad behind, but I hardly see how it is going to make or break an upcoming season for a rookie. We have all heard of many rookies hitting the wall towards the end of their first pro season. If a guy is there from the beginning then what good is it when he hits the wall at the end or shortly before the end?

If the player has talent and a good attitude then those attributes, along with the knowledge of the system, should come forth and lend themselves to production on the field.

I think the biggest issue here is general continuity along the offensive line. Having a chemistry form early on amongst the projected starters is always a good thing. But even if Barron were there right now the Rams still have Timmerman sitting out.

I dunno, I really don't think it is that detrimental having Barron missing at this point. Of course if it continues on much longer then there could be cause for major concern.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Missing Camp Time

How long does Jackie Slater remain in camp? :football:

maineram is offline Registered User

Fundamentals was one of Barron's biggest troubles coming to the NFL. Those are worked on and emphasized in the first 3-4 practices, which he missed. As Martz says, " there's no going back at this stage of camp for him". He can't get that work that all the lineman(rookies) got in those first few practices to bring them where they are now. He'll catch up eventually(we all hope) but with all the shuffling he's done with that RT spot, Martz sounds like he was banking on Barron from day one, to finally get that sore spot on the line shored up. Now he's realizing that all his new weapons will not reach potential if Marc is on his arse.
    He'll be in soon but not soon enough for Martz, knowing the work he needs, to be in there to help make this O really go.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

I would say that the amount of NFL experience one has would lessen the need for camp.

With AB, and ZERO NFL experience every day missed is not quite a "light year", but it will take him a long long long time to cathch up.

As with OP even he had some slips after missing camp(s). Ya, he may start, but if he gives up a sack that shortens Bulgers Season....

well he will be on my Pooplist. Get into camp big fella.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

IMO missing any camp day as a rookie in the NFL is huge. Not to mention the Rams offense is much more complex than most.

The combination of Barron playing a somewhat new postion RT and the need to correct some technique concerns ADDS to the learning curve. Everyday he's out just makes him that much more behind.....

Last years team was not running ON all cyclinders due to line problems. This really hurt the run game and plays in the red zone. I think Martz had to limit his plays and never felt comfortable opening up the play book due to line concerns.

If Barron can come in and play the position at a level that Martz can trust Barron ie... open up some holes for the running game and protect the QB this team can once again be the greatest show on turf.......

We have the RIGHT stars ie Bruce, Holt, Bulger, and Faulk/Jackson, we just need some good role players to complete a well balance super scoring machine......

Chiledog is offline Registered User

For a rookie, playing in Martz's complecated offense, I think that missing any days of camp is a big setback.
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    How long does Jackie Slater remain in camp? :football:
    Sure hope Barron gets to meet and work with Slater. Alex better know in advance that he'll be getting an earful from Rams OL coaches on practically every play, rep after rep.

Beginning with a harsh: "you're late!"

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

I'm gonna give you guys quote that Mike Hmlgren used when talking about holding out of camp, well not really a quote but a paraphrase. He said he didn't see the point in holding out because all you really gained in monetary value by holding out is an extra beer or two.

I believe that rookies should be in camp from day one. There is no reason they shouldn't, they have to learn a new system and if they want to start or make the cut or even be productive they need all the time they can get. JMO....

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I think it does cause rookies to become "behind" in terms of learning the system and, in some cases, getting in playing shape.

I wouldn't be too concerned yet, though. If Barron doesn't report for another week, he may not be ready for the first preseason game, but he still can be ready for the opening of the regular season.

BobNWeave is offline Registered User

Well, it's certainly a good way to cheese-off the moody Martz, and he already showed signs of being lost in the offense. Though I doubt with his level of talent that he gets beat by Blaine S or Williams, he needs to quit quibbling over a few extra bucks and get his butt in camp. Pace learned his lesson, he needs to take a page out of his book. It doesn't pay to sit out camp for extra money!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Not sure what lesson Pace ever learned out of the deal. He would have sat out of camp again if he didn't get his pay day, he got some big fat checks all the other years for sitting out of camp. I really don't think Pace cared one way or another whether he was there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by BobNWeave
    Pace learned his lesson, he needs to take a page out of his book. It doesn't pay to sit out camp for extra money!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    I think the biggest issue here is general continuity along the offensive line. Having a chemistry form early on amongst the projected starters is always a good thing.
    It has always been an issue of continuity since last season ended. Booted Faulk to 2nd string right away. Signed a couple of names that have been in print before. Restructured contracts. Succeeded in getting rid of that negligent product design they called asstroturf.

But then went in to a hiatus. No significant signings after the 2nd round of releases. And now is suffering from unnecessary impasses with the 1st rounder. "Everyone" else around him has figured it out. Don't need another knucklehead on the Zombie Express.