Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 79
  1. #16
    chipperjones's Avatar
    chipperjones is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    Same here.

    You don't want to make it sound like Draft and Culberson are elite players, their not. I personally wish we drafted a talented prospect early in the second day of the draft, but their were more important needs.

    Any injury that requires surgery, is a severe injury. Especially to body parts you need to do your job. Two right foot surgeries and left wrist surgery that Burton had to endure. Being often injured in anyway shape or form is still a big problem. Even if you're able to play with an injury that not only diminishes your effectiveness, you run the major risk of furthering the severity of the injury and likely missing substantial time or likely the season. Which is the case with Burton.
    Now Draft and Culberson arent by anymeans elite players, but like I said are more than capable. Now remember, this is Culbersons second year, so in all reality he is still a prospect and who knows...might turn into an elite player. Draft is on the downside of his career, but in my openion once was an elite player. He is still more than capable.

    Back to Burton. I worded my openion wrong. You are correct, and injury requiring surgery is severe. Im just making my point that as of his junior and senior year, he didnt miss any substantial time. I was just making my point that he is not a Pisa type player injury wise, because he is tougher...or he made a big deal out of an injury that wasnt that bad. Probably not the latter part.


  2. #17
    starfoxx's Avatar
    starfoxx is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Age
    29
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    Now Draft and Culberson arent by anymeans elite players, but like I said are more than capable. Now remember, this is Culbersons second year, so in all reality he is still a prospect and who knows...might turn into an elite player. Draft is on the downside of his career, but in my openion once was an elite player. He is still more than capable.

    Back to Burton. I worded my openion wrong. You are correct, and injury requiring surgery is severe. Im just making my point that as of his junior and senior year, he didnt miss any substantial time. I was just making my point that he is not a Pisa type player injury wise, because he is tougher...or he made a big deal out of an injury that wasnt that bad. Probably not the latter part.
    Culberson was undrafted free agent, and completed one year, which was nothing stellar. Vobora was actually drafted, barely, but still. Vobora to me, has just about the same right to compete for the starting position with Culberson. Vobora had a better career in college than Culberson and Vobora was also a team captain 2007.

    I hear you about Burton. You've made some good points. I hope I made some valid points about him too. Contrary to my opinions, Burton is a Ram, I like his mix of size and speed. I hope he establishes his identity and has productive career.

  3. #18
    chipperjones's Avatar
    chipperjones is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    You did make some very good points about Burton. So lets just close that issue.

    Back to the LB position. Although Culbersons year wasnt nothing steller for an NFL player, for an UFA it was. You dont expect an UFA to make the roster. He did. You dont expect an UFA to be a special teams star. He was in his limited time. You dont expect an UFA to make his way into a rotation. He did. Lastly, you dont expect an UFA to start a game his rookie season. He did, and recorded a double digit tackle stat that game against the Cardinals. Yes it was just one game, but for an UFA that is huge. I by no means am saying Vobora has no right to compete. He does. Anyone on the roster does. Im just stating my openion that Culberson is better. As you are with Vobora. Also some games are better suited for college. I feel Voboras game was. He had excellent stats, but was barely drafted. That has to tell you some teams dont expect his game to carry over. Thats the same for Vince Hall the LB from Virginia Tech. He was a great player, on a great team, and wasnt even drafted. Also Voboras college team won 1 game his senior season and lost 11. Another thing is the level of competition. Culberson played in a tough SEC, and competed with them and that got him ready. Vobora played in a not as tough WAC I believe, and faced weeker competition, and his team lost. The level of competition really helps you before you go into the pros. Although all those loses probably made Vobora a lot more hungry.

  4. #19
    starfoxx's Avatar
    starfoxx is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Age
    29
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    You did make some very good points about Burton. So lets just close that issue.

    Back to the LB position. Although Culbersons year wasnt nothing steller for an NFL player, for an UFA it was. You dont expect an UFA to make the roster. He did. You dont expect an UFA to be a special teams star. He was in his limited time. You dont expect an UFA to make his way into a rotation. He did. Lastly, you dont expect an UFA to start a game his rookie season. He did, and recorded a double digit tackle stat that game against the Cardinals. Yes it was just one game, but for an UFA that is huge. I by no means am saying Vobora has no right to compete. He does. Anyone on the roster does. Im just stating my openion that Culberson is better. As you are with Vobora. Also some games are better suited for college. I feel Voboras game was. He had excellent stats, but was barely drafted. That has to tell you some teams dont expect his game to carry over. Thats the same for Vince Hall the LB from Virginia Tech. He was a great player, on a great team, and wasnt even drafted. Also Voboras college team won 1 game his senior season and lost 11. Another thing is the level of competition. Culberson played in a tough SEC, and competed with them and that got him ready. Vobora played in a not as tough WAC I believe, and faced weeker competition, and his team lost. The level of competition really helps you before you go into the pros. Although all those loses probably made Vobora a lot more hungry.
    I agree.

    Culberson did very well for himself as an UDFA. We should expect alot more from Vobora, a 7th round draft pick.

    Hey, mini camp is coming up. May 9-11, hopefully we'll get an idea on what's planned for 2008. Especially the competition at strong side linebacker.

    Looking forward to the next topic to debate.

  5. #20
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,089
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Um... you don't have Ray Schuening our 5th round pick from Oregon State making the team? I think he's got as good if not better chance than D. Fry at this point.

    WHAT SAY YE?

  6. #21
    starfoxx's Avatar
    starfoxx is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Age
    29
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Um... you don't have Ray Schuening our 5th round pick from Oregon State making the team? I think he's got as good if not better chance than D. Fry at this point.

    WHAT SAY YE?
    I was thinking about putting a practice squad section. but I figured the chart is already long enough. I have Schuening making the practice squad.

  7. #22
    chipperjones's Avatar
    chipperjones is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    I agree.

    Culberson did very well for himself as an UDFA. We should expect alot more from Vobora, a 7th round draft pick.

    Hey, mini camp is coming up. May 9-11, hopefully we'll get an idea on what's planned for 2008. Especially the competition at strong side linebacker.

    Looking forward to the next topic to debate.

    We didnt expect anything from Culberson, and you shouldnt expect anything from a 7th round draft pick. If he comes in and impresses, then you might start expecting things....but not right no. Yeah, Ill be looking forward to a lot like...

    If Ryan will be starting opposite to Carriker

    Where Burton and Avery are on the depth chart

    If Antonio Pittman can beat out Travis Minor and Yvenson Bernard for the backup RB

    What will our O-Line look like?...Pace and Bell are in stone, Barron basically is unless he just does horrible...will it be Setterstorm and Incognito rounding it out?

    Who is coach Linehan leaning towards on the KR/PR

    What CB goes?...With Brown, Hill, Bartell, Wade, Macklin, King...I think Macklin might go...then again we can have 6 capable CB's

    Everyones favorite strong side LB situation

    And my favorite...Keeping up with the UFA, seeing how they do, and I like reading about some of their stories.
    Last edited by chipperjones; -05-04-2008 at 11:01 AM.

  8. #23
    starfoxx's Avatar
    starfoxx is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Age
    29
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    All good story lines for this up coming mini camp. Ryan is a Nose tackle he'll have to back up Carriker.

  9. #24
    chipperjones's Avatar
    chipperjones is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    All good story lines for this up coming mini camp. Ryan is a Nose tackle he'll have to back up Carriker.
    It wouldnt shock me at all though if they are both in the starting lineup. Also Ryan actually had the better year last year. They both had 30 tackles and 2 sacks, but Ryan had 3 forced fumbles while Carriker had 0.

  10. #25
    starfoxx's Avatar
    starfoxx is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Age
    29
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    It wouldnt shock me at all though if they are both in the starting lineup. Also Ryan actually had the better year last year. They both had 30 tackles and 2 sacks, but Ryan had 3 forced fumbles while Carriker had 0.

    Yeah you're right. But Carriker is the first round pick he has to start, anything short of that would be admitting a mistake in drafting him.

    What i'm saying about Ryan is, in a 4-3 defensive line their is one Nose tackle and next to the Nose tackle is the Upfield tackle. Carriker and Ryan are build more for the Nose tackle and Glover and Wroten are built more for the Upfield tackle position. So the defensive line would have to look like this:

    Long - Carriker - Glover - Little
    Hall - Ryan - Wroten - Adeyanju

    The only time you would see Carriker and Ryan on the field at the same time are during short yardage run situations.

  11. #26
    chipperjones's Avatar
    chipperjones is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    Yeah you're right. But Carriker is the first round pick he has to start, anything short of that would be admitting a mistake in drafting him.

    What i'm saying about Ryan is, in a 4-3 defensive line their is one Nose tackle and next to the Nose tackle is the Upfield tackle. Carriker and Ryan are build more for the Nose tackle and Glover and Wroten are built more for the Upfield tackle position. So the defensive line would have to look like this:

    Long - Carriker - Glover - Little
    Hall - Ryan - Wroten - Adeyanju

    The only time you would see Carriker and Ryan on the field at the same time are during short yardage run situations.
    Its not really admitting it was a mistake because he played pretty good, its just admitting you found a gem in the later rounds. I understand what you are saying, and you are right that they are both NT, but I feel Carriker would be just as productive at UT, and I feel Carriker and Ryan can have more production...even if one is out of position...than any other combonation.

  12. #27
    starfoxx's Avatar
    starfoxx is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Age
    29
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    Its not really admitting it was a mistake because he played pretty good, its just admitting you found a gem in the later rounds. I understand what you are saying, and you are right that they are both NT, but I feel Carriker would be just as productive at UT, and I feel Carriker and Ryan can have more production...even if one is out of position...than any other combonation.

    I see what your saying. We did find a gem. You're probably right about Carriker being just as effective at the UT position. But he's already at 312pds now, to big to play the UT position. With the Rams allowing him to balloon to that weight, tells me they want him to play Nose Tackle and that's it. To play UT, you have to be smaller and quicker.

  13. #28
    chipperjones's Avatar
    chipperjones is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    That is true...but I dont think they are that concerned with hist weight because he is very athletic, and quick.

  14. #29
    starfoxx's Avatar
    starfoxx is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Age
    29
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    That he is.

  15. #30
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    I see what your saying. We did find a gem. You're probably right about Carriker being just as effective at the UT position. But he's already at 312pds now, to big to play the UT position. With the Rams allowing him to balloon to that weight, tells me they want him to play Nose Tackle and that's it. To play UT, you have to be smaller and quicker.
    You don't have to be small to play the under tackle, you just have to be a good pass rusher. Sure, Glover plays the position at 290, but he is 6'2". At 6'6", Carriker can and did play defensive end at 295 (in college). To fill his frame out to the extent that La'roi Glover's is, he would have to put on more weight. As long as he plays with good leverage and doesn't lose quickness because of the weight, there's no such thing as too big.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Depth Chart
    By RamsSB99 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: -03-31-2008, 08:50 AM
  2. Depth Chart at stlouisrams.com has Glover at NT...
    By tomahawk247 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-07-2006, 10:33 AM
  3. NFL Draft Countdown's Nov. 11 Mock Draft
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -11-15-2005, 07:36 PM
  4. Rookie QB is moving up the depth chart
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-22-2005, 07:36 AM
  5. Depth chart
    By ikeram in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -07-21-2001, 08:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •