Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 79
  1. #31
    starfoxx's Avatar
    starfoxx is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Age
    29
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    You don't have to be small to play the under tackle, you just have to be a good pass rusher. Sure, Glover plays the position at 290, but he is 6'2". At 6'6", Carriker can and did play defensive end at 295 (in college). To fill his frame out to the extent that La'roi Glover's is, he would have to put on more weight. As long as he plays with good leverage and doesn't lose quickness because of the weight, there's no such thing as too big.
    Their is a reason the Rams asked Carriker to gain weight, so he can be much more stout against the run. That's what they drafted him for. The nose tackle has only two primary duties, stopping the run and taking on blocks from the center and guard. Carriker does those well, and will play NT for a long time. Upfield tackles primary duties are to penetrate, disrupt the backfield and sack the quarterback. So normally, the prototypical Upfield tackle is no less than 6'4 and 290-300pds.


  2. #32
    MASSIVE's Avatar
    MASSIVE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    224
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    Their is a reason the Rams asked Carriker to gain weight, so he can be much more stout against the run. That's what they drafted him for. The nose tackle has only two primary duties, stopping the run and taking on blocks from the center and guard. Carriker does those well, and will play NT for a long time. Upfield tackles primary duties are to penetrate, disrupt the backfield and sack the quarterback. So normally, the prototypical Upfield tackle is no less than 6'4 and 290-300pds.
    WOW!!! Did I miss something? Are the Rams going to keep AC @ NT? From everything I read from Linny and Haslet AC best postion would be UT not the NT postion. AC at the end of the season was playing at UT and a little at end. If we are going to keep him @ NT why did we not draft Dorsey? Dorsey plays the UT right and the reason stated by the Rams not to take him was so they would NOT have to move AC to DE. Tell me I missed something because I am lost!

  3. #33
    starfoxx's Avatar
    starfoxx is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Age
    29
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    WOW!!! Did I miss something? Are the Rams going to keep AC @ NT? From everything I read from Linny and Haslet AC best postion would be UT not the NT postion. AC at the end of the season was playing at UT and a little at end. If we are going to keep him @ NT why did we not draft Dorsey? Dorsey plays the UT right and the reason stated by the Rams not to take him was so they would NOT have to move AC to DE. Tell me I missed something because I am lost!
    Filling the void at right defensive end was a bigger need. Both starting defensive ends are north of thirty, the depth was terrible, and La'Roi Glover had more sacks than Hall and Little. yeah defensive end was a huge problem.

    Besides, remember the reason why the Rams drafted Carriker. To control the run. Now weighing 315pds and thighs for arms, he has and will do it well for a long time. Glover is going to play upfield tackle again for another year.

  4. #34
    Yodude's Avatar
    Yodude is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The State of Confusion
    Posts
    1,025
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    I've seen and heard a lot about Vobora. Ill admit I knew nothing of him prior to the draft, but obviously he is a project and nothing great if he's picked in the 7th.
    I'm not saying you're wrong...but keep in mind that London Fletcher was an undrafted free agent. We all know how well the draft pundits did with that one!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

  5. #35
    MASSIVE's Avatar
    MASSIVE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    224
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    Filling the void at right defensive end was a bigger need. Both starting defensive ends are north of thirty, the depth was terrible, and La'Roi Glover had more sacks than Hall and Little. yeah defensive end was a huge problem.

    Besides, remember the reason why the Rams drafted Carriker. To control the run. Now weighing 315pds and thighs for arms, he has and will do it well for a long time. Glover is going to play upfield tackle again for another year.
    Don't get me wrong starfoxx, just wondering if this is your opion on where AC is going to play? From what I read our coaches say he will remain for the most part at UT, hence no reason to draft Dorsey.

  6. #36
    starfoxx's Avatar
    starfoxx is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Age
    29
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    Don't get me wrong starfoxx, just wondering if this is your opion on where AC is going to play? From what I read our coaches say he will remain for the most part at UT, hence no reason to draft Dorsey.

    I hear you. It's is my opinion, based what I've read and heard also. All due respect, I don't know where or how hold this info you read is. But it's not making much sense to me. Why would he gain almost 20 pounds to play UT? Who is going to play nose tackle and back up the nose tackle? What's Glover and Wrotens' job then?

  7. #37
    MASSIVE's Avatar
    MASSIVE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    224
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    I hear you. It's is my opinion, based what I've read and heard also. All due respect, I don't know where or how hold this info you read is. But it's not making much sense to me. Why would he gain almost 20 pounds to play UT? Who is going to play nose tackle and back up the nose tackle? What's Glover and Wrotens' job then?
    Sorry about that, what I read was recent(in the last month) I will try to post link to that info. Also can you post a link to your info so I can read it? Yes it is true that the Rams wanted and believed that AC could play the NT and that was the reason why he was asked to bulk up. Then with the surprise of Ryan the coaches felt they could move AC to UT and in their opinion that was his most natural and best postion. Glover only plays a few snaps per game due to his age.So they will rotate AC and Glover during a the game. As for Wroten he might not make the team, his days are numbered I think.

  8. #38
    MASSIVE's Avatar
    MASSIVE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    224
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    From ESPN
    2. St. Louis Rams
    The pick: Chris Long, DE, Virginia | Video
    Chris Long doesn't have elite size or as much upside as the aforementioned Gholston, but he's a tough run defender and a relentless pass-rusher, who has good but not great speed. He also does an excellent job of using his hands to control blockers. He's capable of stepping in and making an immediate impact because he's so fundamentally sound, as you would expect from the son of Hall of Famer Howie Long.
    How he fits: Even though there was some debate over Long and LSU DT Glenn Dorsey, Long makes a lot of sense. He allows the Rams to keep last year's first-rounder, Adam Carriker, on the inside. Long is a versatile pass-rusher who defensive coordinator Jim Haslett can use in his schemes as a DE or DT in sub packages. The Rams will be able to pressure four and drop seven on the back end, while incorporating a lot of zone-blitz pressures. With Long pressuring from the right side, teams won't be able to set protection schemes toward LDE Leonard Little, and Long's presence also allows speedy DE James Hall to get on the field as a defensive tackle, which gives them four effective rushers in sub.

  9. #39
    starfoxx's Avatar
    starfoxx is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Age
    29
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    From ESPN
    2. St. Louis Rams
    The pick: Chris Long, DE, Virginia | Video
    Chris Long doesn't have elite size or as much upside as the aforementioned Gholston, but he's a tough run defender and a relentless pass-rusher, who has good but not great speed. He also does an excellent job of using his hands to control blockers. He's capable of stepping in and making an immediate impact because he's so fundamentally sound, as you would expect from the son of Hall of Famer Howie Long.
    How he fits: Even though there was some debate over Long and LSU DT Glenn Dorsey, Long makes a lot of sense. He allows the Rams to keep last year's first-rounder, Adam Carriker, on the inside. Long is a versatile pass-rusher who defensive coordinator Jim Haslett can use in his schemes as a DE or DT in sub packages. The Rams will be able to pressure four and drop seven on the back end, while incorporating a lot of zone-blitz pressures. With Long pressuring from the right side, teams won't be able to set protection schemes toward LDE Leonard Little, and Long's presence also allows speedy DE James Hall to get on the field as a defensive tackle, which gives them four effective rushers in sub.

    Yeah to keep him inside at Nose Tackle, his primary position. Don't get me wrong, Carriker has bounced all over the line in 2007. But his primary position has always been Nose Tackle. I don't know if you watched the draft, they talked about Adam Carriker gaining to be more menacing at nose tackle spot.

  10. #40
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    Their is a reason the Rams asked Carriker to gain weight, so he can be much more stout against the run. That's what they drafted him for. The nose tackle has only two primary duties, stopping the run and taking on blocks from the center and guard. Carriker does those well, and will play NT for a long time. Upfield tackles primary duties are to penetrate, disrupt the backfield and sack the quarterback. So normally, the prototypical Upfield tackle is no less than 6'4 and 290-300pds.
    You'd ask a guy to gain weight on a move inside regardless of which interior position he lined up in. As a 3-4 defensive end in college, he did do a good job against the run and in taking on double teams, but he also had 16.5 sacks over his last two years in college while doing those things. His pass rush was always based on power and technique more than speed, so I don't see how putting on 15 pounds negates that.

  11. #41
    MASSIVE's Avatar
    MASSIVE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    224
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    Yeah to keep him inside at Nose Tackle, his primary position. Don't get me wrong, Carriker has bounced all over the line in 2007. But his primary position has always been Nose Tackle. I don't know if you watched the draft, they talked about Adam Carriker gaining to be more menacing at nose tackle spot.
    No, because Dorsey playes the UT position so if we drafted him it would not affect AC because according to you he will be at the NT postion and that makes no sence.

  12. #42
    MASSIVE's Avatar
    MASSIVE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    224
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Gordo Live
    By Jeff Gordon
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 03:00 PM CDT
    Join columnist Jeff Gordon for a live chat from 1-2 p.m. Monday about the Cards, Rams, Blues, Mizzou or whatever sport or team is on your mind.



    ETM: Jeff,

    Mr. Dorsey has been a great player and seems to have a big motor as well as heart. But he has already suffered significant injuries at a young age. And he has played on natural grass. Don't you think the Rams have to been very scared of him playing in the Ed. He is such a big man and that turf has not been friendly of late. The last few years it's become the old Philly Vet. Not only the Rams but everyone gets hurt on the turf (i.e. Leinart). It would be great if he ended up a HOFmer for the Rams. But a they can't afford another high pick bust at the D tackle position. Any thoughts....

    PS...thought the new turf would be better.

    thanks, eric

    Jeff Gordon: Officially, the Rams say that health wasn't a factor. But it had to weigh in their decision, since they insist they were leaning toward Long all along.

    The new turf IS better, by the way, but isn't as good a natural grass in terms of protecting against injuries.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Columbia_Ram: Is there any way you can compare Dorsey & Long based on the top ten media outlets? Who is rated highest? It seems that Dorsey has the history of being more productive.
    DH

    Jeff Gordon: The consensus of football experts had Dorsey ranked higher. But, as Linehan noted, he plays the same position as Carriker. By taking Long, the Rams can leave Carriker and Ryan in their natural positions for the long haul.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    HEG: Gordo the Rams should take Dorsey and leave Carriker at tackle and this should take care of their run defense which has been so weak for several years and also this should free up their linebackers to do their job; agree or disagree?????

    Jeff Gordon: Linehan prefers Ryan at nose guard and Carriker at defensive tackle, despite the fact the started at nose guard last year. The Rams viewed Little/Ryan/Carriker/Long as a great unit, especially with Glover and possibly Wroten backing up in the middle. Hall is the third DE. Also, Adeyanju might also move inside as a run stopper. That is a pretty good crowd there.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Dennis: Hi Jeff,

    I love reading your work.

    Who do you think will have a more positvie locker room influence and a higher potential to become a leader for our team: C. Long or Dorsey?

    Thanks for your time

  13. #43
    MASSIVE's Avatar
    MASSIVE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    224
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Sorry about the last post left more stuff in it then you needed to read

  14. #44
    MASSIVE's Avatar
    MASSIVE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    224
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Jeff Gordon: Linehan prefers Ryan at nose guard and Carriker at defensive tackle, despite the fact the started at nose guard last year. The Rams viewed Little/Ryan/Carriker/Long as a great unit, especially with Glover and possibly Wroten backing up in the middle. Hall is the third DE. Also, Adeyanju might also move inside as a run stopper. That is a pretty good crowd there.

    This answer says it all

  15. #45
    starfoxx's Avatar
    starfoxx is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Age
    29
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    No, because Dorsey playes the UT position so if we drafted him it would not affect AC because according to you he will be at the NT postion and that makes no sence.
    Sorry, no where on that synopsis did it say Carriker was going to play NT or UT. But what I do know is this what the defensive will look like come week 1.

    DE - Long NT - Carriker - UT Glover DE - Little
    DE - Hall NT - Ryan - UT Wroten DE - Adeyanju

    I know you already Carriker is the nose tackle, always has been. Haslett is known for flipping people all over the field. But that's Carrikers position.

    I know Dorsey is a UT, Carriker weighing 315 pounds played a big part on the decision on the team selecting Long. They did not want to force Carriker to lose weight to play Defensive end.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Depth Chart
    By RamsSB99 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: -03-31-2008, 08:50 AM
  2. Depth Chart at stlouisrams.com has Glover at NT...
    By tomahawk247 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-07-2006, 10:33 AM
  3. NFL Draft Countdown's Nov. 11 Mock Draft
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -11-15-2005, 07:36 PM
  4. Rookie QB is moving up the depth chart
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-22-2005, 07:36 AM
  5. Depth chart
    By ikeram in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -07-21-2001, 08:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •