Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Mock Depth Chart 1.0

Here's an article that has the facts down:

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/06/2007

Patience isn't one of rookie Adam Carriker's leading virtues. So, the painstaking process of adjusting to the NFL is difficult for him to tolerate.

"It really is," he said. "I'm not used to that, and I don't really like it."

Carriker was the Rams' first-round draft choice (No. 13 overall) and immediately was installed as a starter on the defensive line. He was an end in Nebraska's 3-4 alignment but is playing inside for the Rams.

He acknowledged that his performance so far has been spotty; he's collected only six tackles during the Rams' 0-4 start. "I've played OK," said Carriker, 6-feet-6 and 308 pounds. "I feel like I've played well in some areas, and I feel like I can get better in some areas. ... Just being a competitive football player, I'll never be happy with how I play. You can always get better."
    Advertisement

Still, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett is seeing improvement. "He's a load in the middle," Haslett said. "You've got to keep repping him. He's a guy who hasn't played a lot inside, period. We played him mostly at training camp at the nose because we didn't know what Cliff was."

Fifth-round draftee Clifton Ryan has worked his way into the rotation at the nose tackle, so Carriker has been spending more time lately at the other tackle spot.

"Cliff is a really a true, true nose tackle in all the sense," Haslett said. "Adam, in the long run, will be a better three-technique. Hopefully, someday those two guys will be in there and those will be their jobs at some point, whether it's this year, next year, whenever."

So not only is Carriker trying to become accustomed to a higher level of competition he observed quickly that NFL players are "definitely bigger, faster, more physical, a lot stronger" he's learning two new positions at the same time.

"It's definitely a process," he said. "It's going to take a while to get acclimated to that. But you've just got to be patient, because that's part of what the game's about.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, I think we can come to a compromise here. We'll put Ryan at nose technique. Carriker can play Underguard. Glover can be the back up at three tackle.

starfoxx is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Incorrect. Please tell me you're not shocked to see a sportswriter writing a puff piece getting the facts wrong? Have you even been paying attention around here?

I should take your word over a professional sportswriter? Where are your facts? Wait don't tell me, you don't trust sportswriters?

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

NFL career
    On July 26, 2007, Carriker signed a five-year $14.5 million contract, with guarantees of $9.5 million.[2] Carriker started all 16 games of his rookie season at nose tackle instead of his college position, defensive end. Carriker, who bulked up from the 296 pounds he weighed at the NFL combine, weighed in the 305-pound range during the 2007 season.

He was voted the Rams Rookie of the Year called the Carroll Rosenbloom Memorial Award, finishing with 2 sacks, 30 tackles, and a safety. The Rams have indicated that Carriker will move to the "under-tackle" position from the nose tackle spot in 2008. With the additon of Chris Long at defensive end, the possibility of Carricker moving to end, his college positon seems much less likely. With the injuries to Leonard Little, there has been specuation in the St. Louis media that Carriker could move outside to defensive end if Little was unable to return.

Just more of reading material for starfoxx.

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Well, I think we can come to a compromise here. We'll put Ryan at nose technique. Carriker can play Underguard. Glover can be the back up at three tackle.
    Thats cool with me

Here's an article that has the facts down:

This article answers nothing.

It doesn't say what position Carriker he played the first 8 games.

It only mentions what Haslett said what position he was learning in training camp.

I would believe Carriker moving to UT alot more, if he didn't gain extra weight. And why didn't the Rams draft a NT late in the second day to add depth behind Ryan, if he's the "expected" starter at NT come week 1.

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    Thats cool with me
    Yeah me too

Post Script:

I hope no one is taking this debate to heart, we all love football and especially are beloved Rams. I know we can all agree that, what ever the final depth chart looks like, we all want each player to be consistent productive, and leaders..
    Last edited by starfoxx; -05-04-2008 at 08:58 PM.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    This article answers nothing.

It doesn't say what position Carriker he played the first 8 games.

It only mentions what Haslett said what position he was learning in training camp.

I would believe Carriker moving to UT alot more, if he didn't gain extra weight. And why didn't the Rams draft a NT late in the second day to add depth behind Ryan, if he's the "expected" starter at NT come week 1.
    But it is...It answers that Carriker will be playing UT while Ryan playing NT. But no I dont think anyone will take this to heart. There isnt a single fan of any sport in the world that dosent love a good debate about their team.

Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    But it is...It answers that Carriker will be playing UT while Ryan playing NT. But no I dont think anyone will take this to heart. There isnt a single fan of any sport in the world that dosent love a good debate about their team.
    Sorry man, but it's not.

First of all the article is from October, the season wasn't even over.

Second, "in the long term" "maybe" "whenever" are words that you should not be so confident in.

Third, Contrary to my opinions, I am open to the idea if Ryan can show that he can handle the Nose Tackle position and Carriker loses the weight and get his Nebraska form back. If we also find the adequate back up for Ryan, and release or trade Glover. Absolutely let Carriker play UT.

Since I don't see any of that happening. Carriker will play Nose Tackle.

hey Chip, where did you get that piece of article? Where is the link? That better not be Wikipedia.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

I didnt get the article, AvengerRam did. Its from the Post Dispatch though.

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    NFL career
    On July 26, 2007, Carriker signed a five-year $14.5 million contract, with guarantees of $9.5 million.[2] Carriker started all 16 games of his rookie season at nose tackle instead of his college position, defensive end. Carriker, who bulked up from the 296 pounds he weighed at the NFL combine, weighed in the 305-pound range during the 2007 season.

He was voted the Rams Rookie of the Year called the Carroll Rosenbloom Memorial Award, finishing with 2 sacks, 30 tackles, and a safety. The Rams have indicated that Carriker will move to the "under-tackle" position from the nose tackle spot in 2008. With the additon of Chris Long at defensive end, the possibility of Carricker moving to end, his college positon seems much less likely. With the injuries to Leonard Little, there has been specuation in the St. Louis media that Carriker could move outside to defensive end if Little was unable to return.

Just more of reading material for starfoxx.
    I'm talking about this one.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

It says he started at NT and went to UT. You said the reverse. You were wrong.

It says he started at NT and went to UT. You said the reverse. You were wrong.

Read the article again until you figure out what it exactly says.

Their's is nothing their that clearly says what position he started the season at. But wait, my article does. It says exactly, what position he started at during the first 8 games. So you're wrong.
    Last edited by starfoxx; -05-04-2008 at 10:42 PM.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Is this some sort of debate?..lol

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    Is this some sort of debate?..lol

Yeah, it's like the third different one.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast