Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    starfoxx is offline Registered User

Re: Mock Depth Chart 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Just a few reactions here...

Clifton Ryan - Are you sure he's not subbing at nose tackle so Carriker can slide over to UT? I wasn't watching the formation closely enough in most games to see which side each lined up on, but Ryan has the reputation as being more of a pure nose tackle.

Chris Draft - I agree. At this point, I'd have to say he's got the inside track for the starting job.

Will Witherspoon - Do we really need a "thumper" in the middle? A big hitter with limited range in pass defense is only going to be a two down player anyway. I mean really, isn't there something to be said for speed in the guy who has the best view of the play developing?

David Vabora - I think there's an unwritten rule that you have to have played in at least one game before you can qualify as a budding star in any capacity.

Donnie Avery - How well he does compared to Devin Thomas this year is kind of irrelevant isn't it? Avery will be at best third on the depth chart behind Holt and Bruce, while Thomas will be buried behind Moss and Randle El. Unless one of the starters goes down on either team, neither player is likely to put up gaudy numbers.

Brian Leonard - I'll second that *sigh*. It's frustrating to see a nice kid in over his head, but he has such a long way to go just to be a competent blocker as a fullback, much less the versatile blocker/runner/pass-catcher he was drafted to be. This will only be his second year, though, so there's still hope.

On a final note, I'd just like to point out that this couldn't be the roster for week one, since it is 53 names long not including Josh Brown, Donnie Jones, or Chris Massey.
    Normally on short yardage situations you want your two big nose tackles on the field at the same time.

Chris Draft vs. Quinton Culberson, something to look forward to at Training camp.

I agree about the speed at MLB. But I hope you agree their is a middle ground too. Brian Urlacher is 6'4 258pds, he's among the best when it comes to speed, run stopping and coverage. I really do believe we can find that guy in 2009 NFL Draft.

Ok. How about Potential special team star. If saw Vobora work out at the combine. Then you know this kid is a built like a stallion and moves super smooth. A tackling machine.
    NFL Video Galleries

I'm not expecting gaudy numbers. Out of Thomas and Avery, the most talented will come out on top. The redskins and the Rams will be running plenty of 3 or 4 wide receiver sets. If Thomas and Avery are good enough, they will have their opportunities.

The Scarlett knight will be stronger and probably a little slower. Hey Rams front office! Listen carefully; Steven Jackson will never see 2500 all purpose yards if we don't get a True Fullback blocking for him.

Thanks for counting. I adjusted accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I wouldn't sell Caldwell short at this point. Reche knows Saunders offense and likely has a "chip on his shoulder" as well. He has a very good opportunity to be the #3 receiver, in fact if he stays healthy through camp and pre-season, he could even get some work at #2 if Bennett were to falter. Given the complexity of Saunders offense, I would expect that the rookie wideouts will see mostly spot duty (barring injuries to starters) during their first year in the league. Of all our receivers, Holt, Caldwell and Hall have the most knowledge and experience playing in Al's system. Hall is the one who will have to fight the hardest of the aforementioned group to make the club IMO, unless Stanley screws up big time as a returner ...

Where did you read or hear this? Do you have a link? Romberg will fight like a tiger to hold on to his job. Mark will really have a battle on his hands to dislodge Brett IMO. Having said that, Setterstrom is one of my favorites, I think he is an excellent run blocker when he is healthy .. This will probably be a tough decision for the coaching staff when it comes down to choosing the starter. That's a nice problem to have though ..

Overall -- great post !! Very good overall summary ..
    I appreciate your input. Nothing is set in stone yet.

I agree with everything you said about Caldwell. But I can't help the fact that he has butter fingers on crucial catches. And Washington released him for a reason.

About Settersom and Romberg, here is the link:The Way We Hear It - NFL pro football rumors and insider news from Pro Football Weekly

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Thanks for the video on Vobora. He was very quick. I think part of the reason he had so many tackles was because the rest of his team sucked and somebody had to. But Im not going to make any judgments on him until I see him and I respect your openion.

Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    Thanks for the video on Vobora. He was very quick. I think part of the reason he had so many tackles was because the rest of his team sucked and somebody had to. But Im not going to make any judgments on him until I see him and I respect your openion.
    I respect your point of view also. I won't be rushing to judgment on Vobora, But I have to believe in something.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    Mock Depth Chart 2.0

- C. Long Not Expected to Sign till July I don't see how you could possibly know that.
    Defense
    Left Defensive End
    L.Little
    V. Adeyanju
    Upfield Tackle As we previously discussed, UT is more commonly known as the "under tackle."
    L. Glover
    C. Wroten
    Nose Tackle
    A.Carriker - Still unclear where the Rams are playing him primarily, Nose or Upfield Tackle. My guess, Nose Tackle. Your guess is a poor one. I give you 90/10 odds he'll be the starting UT.
    C. Ryan - Will play in the UT spot on short yardage situations. I don't think he'll play UT much at all.
    Right Defensive End
    C.Long - It's not a good idea to bounce this kid all over the defense his first year, leave him at RDE and let him learn to be dominant at the position.
    J.Hall
    Strong Side Linebacker
    C. Draft - I'm taking the experience and hunger to start again to win the starting job.Doubtful. I think the team really wants Culberson to emerge here, and he'll have to lose this spot for Draft to move up.
    Q. Culberson
    Middle Linebacker
    W. Witherspoon - Should play outside. We need a thick thumper in this spot.
    T. McGarigle
    Weakside Linebacker
    P. Tinoisamoa
    D. Vabora - Disciplined. Well built. Tackling machine. Budding Special Team Star
    Left Cornerback
    Tye Hill
    J. Wade - He took his lumps in 2007. Will be much better this traing camp.
    D.Macklin
    Right Cornerback
    F. Brown
    R. Bartel - Is he moving to safety or what?.
    J. King
    Free Safety
    O. Atogwe - Let's work on the poor angles and watch your stats rise even further. I still chuckle when sportswriters and fans use the "poor angles" analysis. I'll bet that 75% of the people who make that comment don't even know what it means, and 95% are incapable of actually evaluating this issue.
    E. Bassey
    Strong Safety
    C. Chavous
    T. Johnson - Valuable on special teams

Offense
    Wide Receiver 1
    T. Holt
    R. Caldwell - Unfortunately. I can see him making it through camp. Through camp, possibly... but I don't see him this high on the depth chart.
    K. Burton
    Left Tackle
    O. Pace
    B. Gorin
    Left Guard
    J. Bell
    R. Schuening
    Center
    M. Settersom - Reports are he is proving to be more capable at Center. At 6-4 314pds, he has a big advantage over the smaller Romberg.
    B. Romberg
    Right Guard
    R. Incognito
    A. Goldberg
    Right Tackle
    A. Barron - You're finally on notice. Look behind you.
    J. Greco
    Tight End
    R. McMichael - He can make the pro bowl if he takes advantage of Saunders offense.
    A. Becht
    J. Klopfenstein
    Wide Receiver 2
    D. Bennett
    D. Avery - This kid better have a better year than Devin Thomas. I disagree with this type of comparison. Thomas will probably start as a rookie out of necessity (Randal El is really not a starting WR). Avery will almost certainly be a #3. The question is who makes the bigger impact in the long run, not as a rookie.
    D. Stanley - Showed his return skills in 2007
    Quaterback
    M. Bulger
    T. Green
    B. Berlin Don't be surprised if he is replaced.
    Full Back
    B. Leonard - Leonard has reportedly bulked up to 234 pounds, about 10
    pounds heavier than last year. *sigh*
    Running Back
    S. Jackson
    A. Pittman - He's got a chip on his shoulder.
    T. Minor

Special Teams
    Kicker
    J. Brown
    Punter
    D. Jones
    Kick Return
    D. Stanley Avery could challenge here.
    Punt Return
    D. Stanley Don't count out Justin King here.
    Long Snapper
    C. Massey
    Final grade: B-. A decent effort, but could be improved.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I think when you speak of depth at NT, you have to account for Carriker's versatility, in that he's proven capable at NT, though he's more suited to UT. My guess is that if Ryan were to go down, Carriker would slide over, and Glover and Wroten would split reps at Under Tackle.

In fact, I'll go as far as to say that I think this is most likely what will be happening on most passing downs, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Final grade: B-. A decent effort, but could be improved.

About Chris Long: STL Sports Insider - St. Louis Rams

Upfield tackle or under tackle, both mean the same thing.

The rams can "want" as much as they feel like. It's not going to make him play any better. It's either you can play or you can't.

Point taken about analyst and fans. But still, Atogwe takes himself out of big running plays by taking poor pursuit angles. But he staked his claim as a ballhawk.

Caldwell will pick the offense up much quicker than Avery, Caldwell has experience in Saunders complicated offense. but we'll have to wait until camp to see what happens.

I really hope by taking the first receiver on the board, we got the most talented one. If we drafted him just because he suits Al Saunders offense, I have to say that's a bit misguided. How do we know Al Saunders will be hear after 2008. All I'm saying the most talented receiver will have the most impact on his team...... Maybe I'm just biased when it comes to receivers. I prefer big receivers with respectable speed (ex. B. Marshall, P. Burress, D. Thomas) Over smaller receivers with exceptional speed. (ex. S. Moss, S. Smith, D. Avery)

Avery, Burton, Haggans, Hall, can all challenge for return duties.

Thanks for you input. I hope I explained my logic on my Mock Depth Chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I think when you speak of depth at NT, you have to account for Carriker's versatility, in that he's proven capable at NT, though he's more suited to UT. My guess is that if Ryan were to go down, Carriker would slide over, and Glover and Wroten would split reps at Under Tackle.

In fact, I'll go as far as to say that I think this is most likely what will be happening on most passing downs, anyway.
    I think I understand what your saying. Lets say Carriker and Ryan are the nose tackles. Glover and Wroten are the Upfield tackles. When I hear fans say Carriker will play UT, and Ryan will play NT, It doesn't add up to me.
    I hear we have 3 UTs and 1 NT. Carriker has bulked up to over 312 pds, that usually NT weight.

Well whereever he plays I want him to blow it up and have the correct depth behind him. OTAs are around the corner, hopefully we hear something then.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

A blog quoting a radio guy... yeah, that's set in stone.

Long may not sign until July, but who cares? Training camp does not start until July 24. That's the date that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    A blog quoting a radio guy... yeah, that's set in stone.

Long may not sign until July, but who cares? Training camp does not start until July 24. That's the date that matters.

No one guaranteed anything. You don't care? fine.

I for one would like to see him signed as soon as possible. Not wait until July 24th. I don't want to see the negotiations cutting it close to Training Camp, I don't want to see a holdout because negotiations failed.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by starfox
    Upfield tackle or under tackle, both mean the same thing.
    Hmm, well, uh....okay. But if it makes you feel any better, Google "upfield tackle" and this thread is the top response.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Hmm, well, uh....okay. But if it makes you feel any better, Google "upfield tackle" and this thread is the top response.

I've been feeling just fine thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    ** Licks finger and draws a figure 1 on the imaginary scoreboard**

I think I understand what your saying. Lets say Carriker and Ryan are the nose tackles. Glover and Wroten are the Upfield tackles. When I hear fans say Carriker will play UT, and Ryan will play NT, It doesn't add up to me.
    I hear we have 3 UTs and 1 NT. Carriker has bulked up to over 312 pds, that usually NT weight.
    Okay; let me rephrase?

(IMO)

Dollars to donuts, Carriker IS the starting Under Tackle. He is the Backup Nose Tackle, and will be used in that role on passing downs. It's a testament to his versatility that he is able to do so. His weight is neither here nor there right now. It was 290 coming out of college, it was 312 when he was groomed as the starting NT. He'll still be playing NT on some downs so he'll need some beef, but is primarily the UT. He's seen as more athletic than Ryan, which explains his playing the position in situations where you want to get to the passer.

Ryan IS the starting NT. He performed best in this capacity last season, and will play the position on running downs, and probably some passing downs, depending on the formation. He's not as athletic as Carriker, reportedly, but excels in clogging lanes as a run stopping NT.

Glover and (to a lesser extent) Wroten are situational guys. Glover you should expect to see a lot of on third down, as he is best suited to rushing the passer at this stage in his career, and benefited last season (see his sack column) from limited snaps.

This clearer?

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    ** Licks finger and draws a figure 1 on the imaginary scoreboard**

Okay; let me rephrase?

(IMO)

Dollars to donuts, Carriker IS the starting Under Tackle. He is the Backup Nose Tackle, and will be used in that role on passing downs. It's a testament to his versatility that he is able to do so. His weight is neither here nor there right now. It was 290 coming out of college, it was 312 when he was groomed as the starting NT. He'll still be playing NT on some downs so he'll need some beef, but is primarily the UT. He's seen as more athletic than Ryan, which explains his playing the position in situations where you want to get to the passer.

Ryan IS the starting NT. He performed best in this capacity last season, and will play the position on running downs, and probably some passing downs, depending on the formation. He's not as athletic as Carriker, reportedly, but excels in clogging lanes as a run stopping NT.

Glover and (to a lesser extent) Wroten are situational guys. Glover you should expect to see a lot of on third down, as he is best suited to rushing the passer at this stage in his career, and benefited last season (see his sack column) from limited snaps.

This clearer?

Yep. But I still don't agree. Training camp can't come soon enough. With whatever happens at training camp, I predict this starting defensive line come week 1.

RDE Long NT Carriker UT Glover LDE Little
    Hall Ryan Wrotten Adeyanju

Short yardage situations

RDE Long NT Ryan NT Carriker LDE Little

I'm predicting primary duties, But Haslett is big on flipping players around the defense.

Yep. But I still don't agree. Training camp can't come soon enough. With whatever happens at training camp, I predict this starting defensive line come week 1.

RDE Long NT Carriker UT Glover LDE Little
    Hall Ryan Wrotten Adeyanju

Short yardage situations

RDE Long NT Ryan NT Carriker LDE Little

I'm predicting primary duties, But Haslett is big on flipping players around the defense.
    Okay, that's fine;

But my question to you becomes this: Why would Haslett go back on his word? He's admitted in many interviews that Carriker has the better potential for the UT spot, and Ryan on the nose. He's said that Glover played better with limited snaps last season. Why put one player out of position, re-attribute another with a role in which he struggled mightily (See Glover's dismal first season with the team) and not play your true NT at all?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast