Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    starfoxx is offline Registered User

Re: Mock Depth Chart 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Okay, that's fine;

But my question to you becomes this: Why would Haslett go back on his word? He's admitted in many interviews that Carriker has the better potential for the UT spot, and Ryan on the nose. He's said that Glover played better with limited snaps last season. Why put one player out of position, re-attribute another with a role in which he struggled mightily (See Glover's dismal first season with the team) and not play your true NT at all?

We here coaches and players say their going to do things all the time. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed. Training Camp is where the decisions are made. Why did the rams draft Carriker in the first place, to use those thighceps for arms to stuff the run, to man handle double teams. Glover was dismal, he was below average. With sacks among DTs, he's in the top 10.

Look, I'm all for a youth movement on the defensive line, with Long, Ryan, Carriker starting. But let's not overate Ryan, he did prove to be valuable Spelling Carriker. But we don't know if the second year athlete is ready for full time duty at Nose Tackle. I'm also not going to ignore the weight Carriker put on, that has to be a signal he bulking up to play more NT.

Training Camp can not come soon enough....

eric2810 is offline Registered User

StarFoxx, just let it go man. Your mock is overall pretty good, yet it has it's flaws. As said earlier, time to go back to the drawing board

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    StarFoxx, just let it go man. Your mock is overall pretty good, yet it has it's flaws. As said earlier, time to go back to the drawing board
    Let what go? A question is asked, I explain my logic behind the decision. No big deal. I know it's not flawless, that goes without saying. I just want to discuss/debate what the depth chart needs to look like for our team to finish above.500.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    Look, I'm all for a youth movement on the defensive line, with Long, Ryan, Carriker starting. But let's not overate Ryan, he did prove to be valuable Spelling Carriker. But we don't know if the second year athlete is ready for full time duty at Nose Tackle. I'm also not going to ignore the weight Carriker put on, that has to be a signal he bulking up to play more NT.

Training Camp can not come soon enough....
    We don't know if the other second year athlete (Carriker) is ready for full time duty, either. Last year they were both getting a lot of reps. And to me bulking up to play defensive tackle at either position--or just to prepare for the rigors of life in the NFL--it doesn't mean anything. Carriker is listed at what? 308? That's not particularly heavy for a 6'6" DT. Marcus Stroud is 6'6", 310 lbs. at the same position. Shawn Rogers is listed at 6'2", 340 lbs. and he's coming off a 7 sack season. For that matter, Kris Jenkins is ginormous, and he has traditionally been a pass-rushing defensive tackle as well. Guys like La'roi Glover and Warren Sapp are lighter, but they're also about four inches shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq
    Ryan IS the starting NT. He performed best in this capacity last season, and will play the position on running downs, and probably some passing downs, depending on the formation. He's not as athletic as Carriker, reportedly, but excels in clogging lanes as a run stopping NT.
    Clifton Ryan has not started a game yet strictly speaking, so I think it's too early to guarantee him the job, either. Who is to say that we won't see a similar situation to last season with Carriker playing both positions, Ryan rotating in at nose, and Glover starting but frequently rotating out of the other spot?

And finally, to get back to a much earlier point in the discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    I agree about the speed at MLB. But I hope you agree there is a middle ground too. Brian Urlacher is 6'4 258pds, he's among the best when it comes to speed, run stopping and coverage. I really do believe we can find that guy in 2009 NFL Draft.
    Yeah, I'd love to find a guy who is good at everything. That's a lot easier said than done. I don't think these guys are as easy to find as you suggest. I could name Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis...who else weighs 250+, has good speed, and anchors his defense? Vilma's pretty good. He's 230. DeMeco Ryans--a stud at 239. Tatupa and Willis made the Pro Bowl at 242. Mike Peterson at 238 and Donnie Edwards at 224 have both been effective middle linebackers for a long, long time. Throw some more names at me.

Meanwhile, poor us...stuck with Will "Too Small to Play in the Middle" Witherspoon at 240 lbs. doing everything we could have asked from. We've got a guy who can play sideline to sideline, drop into coverage, and he has even shown a knack for rushing the passer.

I think expecting an instant Pro Bowler, Rookie of the Year like Urlacher from next year's draft is not something we can count on. To the point, Will Witherspoon is by far the best middle linebacker we've had since London Fletcher last town--and people said he was too small, too.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Clifton Ryan has not started a game yet strictly speaking, so I think it's too early to guarantee him the job, either. Who is to say that we won't see a similar situation to last season with Carriker playing both positions, Ryan rotating in at nose, and Glover starting but frequently rotating out of the other spot?
    So you know, I preafced with IMO to avoid this. But yes, you got me- counting zee clucking-birds before zey atch, as they say in France.

Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx
    We here coaches and players say their going to do things all the time. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed. Training Camp is where the decisions are made. Why did the rams draft Carriker in the first place, to use those thighceps for arms to stuff the run, to man handle double teams. Glover was dismal, he was below average. With sacks among DTs, he's in the top 10.

and etcetera
    To save more to/fro repetitive banter (not that I don't enjoy it), I'll post this instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    We don't know if the other second year athlete (Carriker) is ready for full time duty, either. Last year they were both getting a lot of reps. And to me bulking up to play defensive tackle at either position--or just to prepare for the rigors of life in the NFL--it doesn't mean anything. Carriker is listed at what? 308? That's not particularly heavy for a 6'6" DT. Marcus Stroud is 6'6", 310 lbs. at the same position. Shawn Rogers is listed at 6'2", 340 lbs. and he's coming off a 7 sack season. For that matter, Kris Jenkins is ginormous, and he has traditionally been a pass-rushing defensive tackle as well. Guys like La'roi Glover and Warren Sapp are lighter, but they're also about four inches shorter.

And finally, to get back to a much earlier point in the discussion...

Yeah, I'd love to find a guy who is good at everything. That's a lot easier said than done. I don't think these guys are as easy to find as you suggest. I could name Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis...who else weighs 250+, has good speed, and anchors his defense? Vilma's pretty good. He's 230. DeMeco Ryans--a stud at 239. Tatupa and Willis made the Pro Bowl at 242. Mike Peterson at 238 and Donnie Edwards at 224 have both been effective middle linebackers for a long, long time. Throw some more names at me.

Meanwhile, poor us...stuck with Will "Too Small to Play in the Middle" Witherspoon at 240 lbs. doing everything we could have asked from. We've got a guy who can play sideline to sideline, drop into coverage, and he has even shown a knack for rushing the passer.

I think expecting an instant Pro Bowler, Rookie of the Year like Urlacher from next year's draft is not something we can count on. To the point, Will Witherspoon is by far the best middle linebacker we've had since London Fletcher last town--and people said he was too small, too.

Carriker started just about every game last year. I'm pretty sure he's ready for more. Are you seriously saying weight doesn't matter when it comes to a specific position, are you really saying players can weigh what they want and still play their position?

Witherspoon is a good linebacker. His ability to rush the passer is even more of a reason for him to play weakside. I never said i expected an instant pro bowler out of next years draft, Urlachers dimensions is my point. If we can draft a player who has the thick frame and range, and the nose for the inside running game, who also is a team captain and plays mike. Why not draft him? It's not like that kind of prospect will be just in the first round.

Don't need to throw names to express my desire to have a bigger middle linebacker who can stuff the inside running game and shed offensive linemen with ease. Who can still hold his own in coverage and has adeqaute range. Runs up the middle was probably are biggest problem when it came to stopping the run. To many running backs have gutted us up the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    So you know, I preafced with IMO to avoid this. But yes, you got me- counting zee clucking-birds before zey atch, as they say in France.

To save more to/fro repetitive banter (not that I don't enjoy it), I'll post this instead.

See ya later.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123