stlramman is offline Registered User

On Monday Night Countdown...

Mort said that Marshall Faulk wants a shot at the Rams Head Coaching gig. He said he didnt think he would get it but he wants a shot. It would be interesting to see how that would go over with S.J.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

Re: On Monday Night Countdown...

It's be interesting...but epic failure. He has no coaching experience...

stlramman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyHigh1212 View Post
    It's be interesting...but epic failure. He has no coaching experience...
    I am not saying they should do it. If Marshall wants to be a Head Coach he will probably have to quit his T.V job and be a Running Back's Coach for someone and start getting his feet wet.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I'm as big a Faulk fan as there is but that sounds kinda crazy. How about starting out as an assistant first? Maybe a RB coach somewhere (he could probably coach WR and O-line too based on his experience I'd think), I doubt it would be possible to go straight to offensive coordinator, let alone head coach. I do think that Faulk has the potential to be a very good coach, in my opinion he both demands respect and inspires those around him. He also knew the entire offense as a player, where everyone was supposed to be and how everyone was supposed to execute each play, he was as smart of a player as I have seen. I don't know if he has the patience to go into coaching though, this doesn't sounds like it, nobody starts at the top.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

There is no doubt that Marshall has a lot of football savvy, but making St. Louis the test lab for his attempt at playing NFL head coach doesn't seem like a good idea. Especially for a guy who has zero coaching experience, at any level.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

No no no no no! Running backs coach is fine. Not head coach. We need some kind of experience.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Marshall is thinking well, but Head coach Marshall? I would like to bring him in as an assistant so that he gets the feel for coaching in general. Hopefully if he pans out well, he can move up over the years. However, Marshall is not head coach ready at all at this point.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    No no no no no! Running backs coach is fine. Not head coach. We need some kind of experience.
    This is where he needs to make his mark. If he's successful, then maybe we move him up a notch to assistant offensive coordinator or something like that but no! not head coach, not yet. Let the guy earn his spot.

Falconator Guest

Faulk was a GREAT player.......but I watch him some on NFL Network and I don't think him to be a very good analyst. I just don't think he has what it takes to be a good head coach or GM........if Marshall Faulk wants to be a head coach - he should start out as a runningbacks coach, work up to offensive coordinator and go from there. NFL teams don't just hand those head coaching jobs out like candy to anybody that wants them........Look at Mike Singletary, he paid his dues and is now getting his shot in SanFran.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd put him in the front office, before I'd put him on the sidelines. There's a reason the best coaches typically were average-at-best players. Coaches have to relate to more than just superstars. They might understand the 1 or 2 pro bowlers, but what about the 31 rosters spots that are held by backups? Seasons can be won and loss, but backups.......would Faulk be able to relate to them?

However, in the front office, he could use his x-ray vision (from a talent perspective) to find the wheat from the chaff in free agency and the draft.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod