RamWraith is offline Registered User

More on Armey on the radio

Posted by Jedimach--

Rams board will be ready by end of next week. He, Linehan, McCutcheon and Zygmunt will have final say with input from position coaches. Zygmunt primarliy is there in case they want to trade up for a guy (cap ramifications).

Reggie Bush - special, special, special. Without a doubt the #1 player in the draft. He is #1 on Rams draft board.

Jay Cutler - Charlie is beaming about this guy. He says he plays up to the level of competition. He is decisive, reads the field incredibly fast and releases quickly. Likened him to Kurt Warner. Based on what he said, Cutler is not out of the realm of being selected by the Rams. However, if a guy like Huff is there, I think they would take Huff.

Michael Huff - Charlie says he is the total package. He is definitely the #1 CB in the draft. He said the reason he played saftey for Texas was because he was the defensive QB and called all the defensive schemes. Loves is size, speed and mind. Very high on Rams list.

A.J. Hawk - Charlie says he is another Brian Urlacher...maybe better because he has played the position whereas Urlacher had to move up from safety. Loves his explosion to the ball.

Vernon Davis - Charlie says once in a lifetime talent at his position. He has amazing speed and stregth. His ability to break tackles and take on DB's is awesome. His explosion is phenominal. All of his attributes help him overcome his height.

Kiwanuka and Wimbley - similar players who could be great edge rushers in the NFL. He referred to them using generic names (those kids, that young man, etc.) so I think the likelyhood of us taking them early is slim. He didn't have as much to say but did say he liked Wimbley more because he had more explosion.

Chad Greenway - Well, here is one for the Chad Greenway fans! Charlie is not worried about his slow 40 time. He says Greenway plays and reacts faster. He said he has known fast guys who react slowly...so running fast isn't the answer. He likes Greenway and thinks he is a linebacker who can play run and cover which will keep him on the field for all downs. Mentioned that Greenway played 8 man football at highschool in South Dakota and won track meet races. I guess if you don't have a lot of guys to race, there is opportunity (that is my input!). He obviously has done research on this guy so he must be under consideration to some extent.

Finally, he said it's the weakest receiver draft he has ever seen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by T-MAN61--

Charley Armey on radio this morning...

I heard Charley Armey on the radio this morning....Let me sort of paraphrase what he had to say.

1. Very, very high on Cutler. Is impressed with his skills and his head. Says he is someone that the Rams are looking at very closely.

2. Asked about AJ Hawk all he said was "Urlacher". Thinks Hawk is a can't-miss prospect.

3. Also high on chad Greenway.

4. Says he isn't that interested in 40 times; more interested in football speed. Says some guys due to their instincts, preparation, attitude just play a lot faster than guys who can actually run faster. Makes sense...Lou Brock was never the fastest base-stealer in the game; just the smartest.

5. Says he loves working with not only Scott Linehan but the entire new coaching staff. Said that the Rams were one big happy family again.

6. Says that due to a great offseason, the Rams wouldn't be reaching and would stay true to their board. Pointed out however, that if players were really close or equal, NEED would be a factor...but again...took great pains to say Rams wouldn't reach due to need.

7. Also said Rams value certain positions higher than others and that that will factor into the process.

Well....I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I was in my car and couldn't take notes.

Enjoy.....

Oh yeah....Also very high on Vince Young. Compared him to John Elway in that he feels their arm strength and accuracy coming out of college are similar and that they both know how to elevate their games when they need to. Isn't worried about Young's throwing motion....

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: More on Armey on the radio

Thanks RamWraith good stuff as always.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

VOTE NO ON CUTLER!!!!!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Jay Cutler - Charlie is beaming about this guy. He says he plays up to the level of competition. He is decisive, reads the field incredibly fast and releases quickly. Likened him to Kurt Warner. Based on what he said, Cutler is not out of the realm of being selected by the Rams.
    This is FO speak to be translated as..."Attention Cleveland, Baltimore, & Minnesota, we don't mind taking this guy if you don't pony up."
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFan16 Guest

Chad Greenway - Well, here is one for the Chad Greenway fans! Charlie is not worried about his slow 40 time. He says Greenway plays and reacts faster. He said he has known fast guys who react slowly...so running fast isn't the answer. He likes Greenway and thinks he is a linebacker who can play run and cover which will keep him on the field for all downs. Mentioned that Greenway played 8 man football at highschool in South Dakota and won track meet races. I guess if you don't have a lot of guys to race, there is opportunity (that is my input!). He obviously has done research on this guy so he must be under consideration to some extent.
    Sheesh I wish I was as smart as that. But I agree on his comments on Greenway. Cutler shouldn't be up there. If we draft him I'll be ticked.

BTW I forget who is Armey?

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Sheesh I wish I was as smart as that. But I agree on his comments on Greenway. Cutler shouldn't be up there. If we draft him I'll be ticked.

BTW I forget who is Armey?
    Armey is the current GM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFan16 Guest

Thanks very much man! SAY NO TO CUTLER!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    This is FO speak to be translated as..."Attention Cleveland, Baltimore, & Minnesota, we don't mind taking this guy if you don't pony up."
    True. There is no way we take Cutler, but letting those teams think we might is good draft strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

if we draft cutler wow!!!!!!!! idk i wouldnt like the pic

Drew4EverRams Guest

with young and leinart gone by the time we pick we gonna get a lot of phone calls off cleveland,minnesota etc...should be interesting to see what they come up with but in all probability we take huff at 11th pick!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Honestly, drafting a QB wouldn't be a bad move for the future, but I think it would be a wasted opportunity to draft someone else who might have more of an immediate impact and help this team find more immediate success. The draft isn't primarily about filling immediate needs, but you don't see teams regularly spending all their picks with just the future in mind, either. With all that said, I hope all three quarterbacks are gone by the time the Rams select so that we don't have to cross that bridge.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Titans, Raiders, Cardinals

If we're picking a QB in the first, it'll have to be between Jacobs, Whitehurst, and Croyle, cause the other three won't be there.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Mr. HUbison, I agree with your statement that the Titans and Raiders will be selecting qb's; but I'm not so sure about the Cardinals for the following reasons.

1.) Denny green is in his 3rd year and is coming off two-straight losing years. He MUST win this year or he's outta there in AZ.
    2.) Therefore Green needs a player in the first round who will contribute immediately not down the road.
    3.) How could Green pass on a player like Ngata or even Justice when either would be an instant starter?
    4.) Bidwell has shown the propensity to give coaches 2 losing years, but not three. Green should know this and plan accordingly.

P.S. I certainly agree that Cutler would be the best pick for the Cardinal Organization, but probably not for Green's future.

WHAT SAY YE?

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Did he say if Faulk is coming back?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    My thoughts exactly. I think Minnesota are a very strong trading partner if he falls to us. However i still dont see him getting out of the top 10. The Titans, Jets, Raiders, Bills, Lions and Cards are all teams that could use help at QB.