View Poll Results: More passing attempts, or more rushing attempts?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rushing

13 46.43%
  • Passing

15 53.57%
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By general counsel

Thread: More attempts rushing, or more attempts passing?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

More attempts rushing, or more attempts passing?

Will Jeff Fisher's 2012 offense have more rushes, or more passes by season's end?

More rushing

More passing

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: More attempts rushing, or more attempts passing?

I sure hope the answer is rushing, because given Fisher's philosophy and history, if we are throwing more than we are running it means we are spending a lot of time behind in the game.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RockinRam, NJ Ramsfan1 and JM7 like this.

I'm not a big fan of predictions, but I'll go out on a limb and give a 16 game prediction. Once we enter the playoffs, I'll need to reevaluate ..

rushing attempts 415

passing attempts 395

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I believe Fisher's philosophy leans toward the ground attack. That is not to say Bradford is going to be a wallflower- he'll get plenty of reps, as did Steve McNair when Fisher was in Tennessee. I just don't think you're going to see a lot of games where he's throwing the ball 40-45 times in the coming seasons. It ain't gonna' be Warner, Bruce, Holt and company, that's for sure.

This year, I believe it will be very balanced, as there are a lot of unknowns at both the running back and receiver positions. Will Jackson be the productive Jackson we've been used to or will he start showing noticeable signs of wear? How good is Pead and is he ready to take on the type of workload expected from a guy who could be Jackson's heir apparent? Can the receivers stay healthy and show they can be productive? Can Pettis, Salas, Quick and the rest of the 2nd year guys/rookies show us they're capable of meaningful time?

The answer to these questions will determine whether Fisher can stay true to his preferences or have to make a departure from them.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The NFL has become a passing league. Therefore I will go with more pass attempts.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

I think it all depends on how well the offensive line performs with creating holes for the rushing attack and on that basis I think we'll pass more.

That said I just have a feeling that we'll see a more balanced approach that will have a positive effect on both aspects of the offensive game. That's just my two cents for what it's worth.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It's hard to say really. With Mcnair, he typically passed the ball more. With Young, he ran it more. Ultimately, I just want points on the board, regardless of how they get there.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    The NFL has become a passing league. Therefore I will go with more pass attempts.
    As GC mentioned, passing stats can be skewed if a team is behind and must try to catch up in a hurry. Rushing attempts will fall off dramatically in that type of scenario. However, I agree with your observation that the NFL has become more and more a passing league. There is another scenario that can occur during a game which leads to more passing attempts, and it isn't predicated on a team's being behind.

Sharp offensive coordinators will take what a defense gives them, particularly if it gives said coordinator extremely favorable matchups. A team with a good QB and ample receiving talent can stress a defense if its O-line can hold up long enough. In this scenario, an OC can simply keep throwing until the defense can figure out a way to stop the onslaught. Throw in some runs now and then to keep an opposing D honest, and chalk up a win.

I thought about this a while before I voted. Ultimately I voted for "more rushing attempts." Given the new offense and abundance of rookies, it likely will take a while before Sam gets on the same page with all his receivers, and visa-versa. By running the ball and hopefully placing Sam in 3rd and short situations, Sam can regain his confidence and by the latter half of the season, I'm hoping we are throwing more to exploit as opposed to trying to catch up .. My two cents anyway ...

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

As much as we will be a big running team with fisher. I think we will be trending with the league and Schotty + Bradford will have way more pass attempts than the teams rushing attempts

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Balanced attack with a slight edge towards passing. Why? I believe the Rams will be forced to throw because they'll be behind late in a lot of games. Remember, I only see 4-5 wins this year. Plus, short, quick 5 yard passes are not much riskier than running the ball, which is also why I think passing will be slightly higher than rushing. I expect a tight, controlled passing game setting up the run. Only an occasional deep ball to keep the defense honest.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Shocked that my vote broke a tie breaker.

In this NFL, balanced does not mean 50/50. More passing attempts all the way.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    In this NFL, balanced does not mean 50/50. More passing attempts all the way.
    In today's game, that is correct. Last season there were only 4 teams (Texans, Broncos, whiners, Jags) with more running attempts than pass attempts.

The average team passed on 55.5% of their offensive snaps. We were slightly above that at 57.3%. But surely with Fisher, that number will come down closer to, if not below, the average.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    In today's game, that is correct. Last season there were only 4 teams (Texans, Broncos, whiners, Jags) with more running attempts than pass attempts.

The average team passed on 55.5% of their offensive snaps. We were slightly above that at 57.3%. But surely with Fisher, that number will come down closer to, if not below, the average.
    Pretty ironic though that of those four teams who ran more than they passed three made the playoffs.

Up to this point the voting percentages are:

Rushing: 46.15% of the vote

Passing: 53.85% of the vote

I'd venture a guess that these vote percentages could end up being pretty close to the actual run/pass percentages at season's end ..