Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: More Bernie !!!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

More Bernie !!!

Miklasz leaves radio to focus on Post-Dispatch, STLtoday.com
    Print
    3 hours ago • By Dan Caesar

The major upheaval in St. Louis sports-talk radio now is shifting to hit the market leader in the format. Bernie Miklasz is set to leave WXOS to expand his duties at his primary employer, the Post-Dispatch and its STLtoday.com website.

The move, announced Wednesday, is to take effect after Miklasz’s radio contract expires at the end of April. Miklasz has been a Post-Dispatch sports columnist since 1989 and said a long thought process led to his decision to stop hosting a sports radio show — something he has been doing in St. Louis since he returned to the Post-Dispatch and succeeded Kevin Horrigan in giving his opinions on sports. Miklasz has mixed his writing work with stints at KMOX (1120 AM), KFNS (590 AM), what currently is KXFN (1380 AM) and now at 101.1 FM.

His impending departure from hosting a midday sports-talk show comes at a time of unprecedented turmoil locally in the format. It recently was announced that KFNS, the longest-standing station in jock-jabber, will switch to ‘’guy-talk’’ this spring and its sister outlet, KXFN, will drop sports for programming that targets women. Adding to that is that 101.1 has had a major ratings drop, but Miklasz said his decision isn’t related to any of those issues.

He said on his 53rd birthday, in February 2012, he woke up and said to himself that he had to take control of his health. The first thing he did was lose a significant amount of weight. His second big goal was to streamline his professional life and work for one employer instead of spreading himself out. And now is the time, because his radio contract is about to expire.

“I’ve always loved writing more (than radio), it’s my calling,’’ Miklasz said. “Whatever good things I have in my life professionally have been because of the Post-Dispatch. It has led to other opportunities. When I was a high-school kid, my dream was to be a writer. I’ve always wanted to be a writer. The stress of trying to do two jobs was too much. I don’t expect anyone to have sympathy, not at all, but I never could shut my brain down. I was constantly worrying about the next day’s show, waking up in the middle of the night and sending emails to my producer about this or that. It was starting to wear me out. I’m very intense about work and it was really, really difficult to be pulled in different directions, as much as I love (both).

“If I didn’t (drop one) it was going to be a matter of working 16 hours a day, seven days a week for the rest of my life. Nobody can maintain that pace.’’

He talked to WXOS, Fox Sports Midwest and the Post-Dispatch while deciding where to try to consolidate his work duties.

“The Post-Dispatch was unbelievable about their commitment of stepping up and creating a job that will expand on my roles as a writer but also allow me to financially walk away from radio,’’ Miklasz said.

Post-Dispatch sports editor Roger Hensley is glad Miklasz decided to turn his work focus on the paper and its website.

“I’m thrilled things worked out the way they have and that we’ll have Bernie exclusively here at the Post-Dispatch and STLtoday.com,’’ Hensley said. “Will I miss hearing him on the radio? Sure. And I’m sure many others will feel that way, too. But we’ve got many new initiatives we’re working on in-house that should lead to folks still getting to hear Bernie’s voice, in addition to interacting with him much more through our website.’’

Miklasz is to continue writing four sports columns a week for the paper and doing his online “Bernie Bytes’’ five times a week. He also will add video and audio components to his STLtoday repertoire.

“I love new media, I love advanced media, I love blogging, I love the idea of doing all kinds of innovative things,’’ Miklasz said, adding that he plans to do something different.

“I don’t think a blog ever has been done the way I think it should be at the Post-Dispatch,’’ he added. “Blogs aren’t supposed to be once a day and long, they’re supposed to be frequently updated and short. So if there is breaking news they can click on (my blog) and I’ll fill them in on what’s going on and I’ll have an opinion or analysis. I envision, in effect, blogging all day long, with update after update after update.’’

That could happen even in the middle of the night if he wakes up and has something on his mind.

Hensley sounds excited about the plans.

“Bernie and I have been talking about the very near future and we’ve been calling it “Bernie 24/7.” Look, he’s always been a workhorse. Four print columns per week, five daily online-exclusive columns and a ton of interaction with readers in our forums. On top of that, he still found time to do a daily radio show and all the preparation and research that went into that. And you know what? He did it all very well.

“I’m not ready to go into specifics because we are still fleshing out our ideas. But one thing I can say for sure is that our readers, viewers and listeners — yes, listeners — will get plenty of Bernie Miklasz.’’

There are no hard feelings at WXOS about Miklasz’s departure, station program director Chris “Hoss’’ Neupert said.

“He’s such a dynamic personality, but at the end of the day how can you be mad at a guy who’s going back to his roots and giving it his all?’’ Neupert asked. “He wants to do his part to help take an industry that has been down’’ on an upswing.

“It’s bittersweet (for the station) because what he is doing is very honorable and really cool, so it’s hard to be upset with him. The guy is such an awesome personality.’’

Neupert says that although Miklasz will be gone from his high-profile slot, he still might make appearances via phone on a different 101.1 weekday shows.

“We’re still working on this,’’ Neupert said. “That would be a great way to kind of keep him on the roster, as part of the team, and he could promote all the stuff he’s doing’’ for the Post and STLtoday.com. “Still having him on the station’s roster means a lot; we still consider him a friend and an asset. It’s like the ‘Godfather,’ he had an offer he couldn’t refuse.’’

No St. Louis media member is more well-connected to all the major area teams than Miklasz, so Neupert won’t be able to replace that wealth of information and perspective the show currently provides. But the fact there is more than a month of lead time greatly helps in finding a replacement, although that new show undoubtedly won’t have the insights Miklasz provides.

“I’m diligently working on what it will be,’’ Neupert said. “But there’s nobody who can replace exactly what Bernie is. It’s not going to be the same show at all, it has to be something different because he’s such a unique guy. My effort is to put in a great show that will entertain and inform the audience.’’

Neupert added that it hasn’t been determined if the replacement program will occupy the slot Miklasz is in, 11 a.m.-2 p.m weekdays, or if the current lineup will be shuffled a bit to accommodate the change.

There you go Av .. More Bernie !!!

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Re: More Bernie !!!

Bernie's a good guy and a fair/down-the-middle sports talk show host. The fact that he has taken care of his health is admirable. St. Louis, IMHO, is not exactly the epicenter of sports talk, although I am a native St. Louisan. So, it's sad to see a good guy and a bright sports talk show host leave the airwaves. Good luck and God speed Bernie.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully, now he'll have time to do more research than his typical 5 minutes on Google and then another 10 minutes cutting and pasting from Pro Football Focus.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Who is Bernie miklszwhateverhisnameis?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Hopefully, now he'll have time to do more research than his typical 5 minutes on Google and then another 10 minutes cutting and pasting from Pro Football Focus.
    Yep, obviously Bernie knows he needs to tighten up his writing work. Can't wait to see the improvement.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    How's the view from the cheap seats. AV?
    When was the last time you were presenting your briefs DAILY to a largely hostile and wholly ignorant audience in print AND in a live format, on a 24 hour basis. With the inherent lack of prep time.
    I'm guessing, make that I KN0W, lawyers operate in a wholly different time frame, and their arguments and (I doubtl) speculations /opinions are targeted to a much narrower audience, most of which probably have a rudimentary understanding of the principles and legal bases for said presentations.

Think you're being (somewhat churlishly) harsh on the guy, from, I might add, your safe little (probably government protected) cocoon in whatever corporate hole you work in, while during said duties you miraculously find time , significant time actually, to monitor yet another rowdy bunch of true and (not-so-true) hearted fans of our team, The Rams.

Think it's high time Lawyers became eligible for journalism awards. Assuming of course, you actually knew what was involved, which you most certainly do not.

Ain't it funny how PC disappears when things get personal?
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -03-29-2013 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Let's leave the politics out.
    Fargo Ram Fan and Beastified like this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    How's the view from the cheap seats. AV?
    When was the last time you were presenting your briefs DAILY to a largely hostile and wholly ignorant audience in print AND in a live format, on a 24 hour basis. With the inherent lack of prep time. I'm guessing, make that I KN0W, lawyers operate in a wholly different time frame, and their arguments and (I doubtl) speculations /opinions are targeted to a much narrower audience, most of which probably have a rudimentary understanding of the principles and legal bases for said presentations.

Think you're being (somewhat churlishly) harsh on the guy, from, I might add, your safe little (probably government protected) cocoon in whatever corporate hole you work in, while during said duties you miraculously find time , significant time actually, to monitor yet another rowdy bunch of true and (not-so-true) hearted fans of our team, The Rams.

Think it's high time Lawyers became eligible for journalism awards. Assuming of course, you actually knew what was involved, which you most certainly do not.

Ain't it funny how PC disappears when things get personal?
    You're right. My job is a lot different. When I write a brief, its not 6-7 paragraphs, its 20+ pages.

As for my audience, given that I spend a great deal of time representing plaintiffs in employment cases in the Federal District Courts of Florida, as presided over by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, my audience is generally more hostile than entirely ignorant.

I do, of course, also make arguments with subtantial prep time, though I often have to respond to somewhat random inquiries from the judiciary.

I also work within the journalism field, though a specialized one. I have been on the Editorial Advisory Board of a national legal publication for several years, and I contribute articles to that publication on a regular basis.

So, despite your efforts to prove otherwise, the truth remains...

For Bernie (or any other sports "journalist") to do my job, they'd have to go to law school, pass the bar exam, practice for over 20 years, and become Board Certified in a legal speciality. He'd also have to have the willingness to do a job that truly impacts the lives of others.

For me to do Bernie's job, I'd need a press pass.

In the end, you're not capable of getting "personal" with me because you know nothing about me.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-29-2013 at 10:39 AM.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I live in NC, but I try to listen to STL Sports radio sometimes in the backgroudn while I'm at work. Not a big fan of Bernie, but do you guys like the Fast Lane. I feel they are more realistic and objective, Farr and Randy have good takes on the Rams.

To me, it always comes down to a simple rule:

Some members of the sports media view their job as being a conduit for information and analysis.
    Some members of the sports media view themselves as "part of the story."

The first type can lay claim to the title "journalist."
    The second type should work for TMZ.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Actually, the personal refernce referred to your, IMO, attacking Bernie the person, which was not very PC of you. As far as your credentials, I would argue the Architect's (five-day) licencing exam is probably as difficult as the bar. And I'm as proud of my accomplishments as you are. Point being, Bernie Miklaz is probably not impressed with either of our sets of credentials, but I doubt he would say "give me a legal pad, and/or a pencil, and I could do your job(s).

Your "to do Bernie's job, all I'd need is a press pass" comment pretty much makes my point. As always, nice chatting with you, and as Bernie would say, thanks for reading.
    Cheers.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Actually, the personal refernce referred to your, IMO, attacking Bernie the person, which was not very PC of you. As far as your credentials, I would argue the Architect's (five-day) licencing exam is probably as difficult as the bar. And I'm as proud of my accomplishments as you are. Point being, Bernie Miklaz is probably not impressed with either of our sets of credentials, but I doubt he would say "give me a legal pad, and/or a pencil, and I could do your job(s).

Your "to do Bernie's job, all I'd need is a press pass" comment pretty much makes my point. As always, nice chatting with you, and as Bernie would say, thanks for reading.
    Cheers.
    You miss the point entirely.

I don't care what Bernie thinks of my credentials, as he is not my client.

I, on the other hand, am one of Bernie's "clients" to the extent that I am a "consumer" of sports media. Therefore, it should come as a surprise to no one that when the service being provided is substandard, I feel it is appropriate to express my thoughts.

And yes... I could easily do Bernie's job. I don't wish to (for me, sports is a hobby... not something to devote my professional life to), but it would not be at all difficult.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

And yes... I could easily do Bernie's job.
    Oh, really?

I bet you couldnt last more than a few days sitting at the computer all day, eating 5000+ calories in a 14 hour span, and brainstorming atleast an hour for every dull sentence you write. 5000 calories are expensive and hard to do if you dont have the massive man room Bernie has to store said calories. Not to mention, you're probably not even a certified member of the PFF, like Bernie. Good luck going through the rigorous training to become one.

Go back to your lawyer duties. You're not cut out for the hard life of B-MiK.
    MoonJoe, AvengerRam and gap like this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I live in NC, but I try to listen to STL Sports radio sometimes in the backgroudn while I'm at work. Not a big fan of Bernie, but do you guys like the Fast Lane. I feel they are more realistic and objective, Farr and Randy have good takes on the Rams.
    I can sometimes pick up 1120 on my way into work, and I drive along the intercoast waterway. Bear Island and the Atlantic Ocean to my left, and a USMC Military Reservation dead ahead. Unfortunately they aren't usually talking sports at the hour.

gap

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

You know, Bernie is not everyone's cup of tea. He is often self-serving, tries to set himself up to be right on future events (ignoring things when he's wrong), and as Av mentioned, often thinks he's part of the story. He is a polarizing figure who seems to take joy in using his platform to belittle those that don't follow his musings in lock-step.

For me, Bernie's "bytes" and articles on Sam Bradford last year represent why I'm not a big Bernie fan. He would rip Bradford in one article, then in the next, he would criticize the Bradford "basher" fans, then in the next, he's singing Bradford's praises, then follows it up by intimating that there could be a quarterback controversy next year, and that it would be "naïve to dismiss the possibility", basically trying to create a story where there isn't one. Classic Bernie.

And let's be real here, it's been a running gag for years and years to have some laughs making fun of Bernie and his columns, so I'm not sure I get the almost passionate support for the guy or the compulsion to blast those that don't like what Bernie puts out. Bernie is a big boy, knows criticism goes with the territory, and can take it. Let's not make him out to be some unfairly treated victim.

I'll give Bernie credit for one thing, his articles often spark debate, which is why I post them.
    AvengerRam likes this.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I don't listen, but I do hear them before, during and after games sometimes and I would agree with you based on that sampling. They also seem to really know what they're talking about. Unlike some people who shall remain nameless (except in the title of this post and elsewhere).
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast