RamWraith is offline Registered User

More Bernie on the coaches

Post subject: Will Shaw wait for Rivera??

If they like Rivera enough, they'll wait.

I didn't get an indication of how committed they are to Rivera. They liked him personally, but one thing they want to hear is a "vision" of the entire team. Not just one side of the ball.

--B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject: Linehan...

He had a plan lined up for the entire team, not just the offense or the defense. He had good names for a defensive coordinator. He'd obviously put a lot of thought into having a "vision" for the Rams.

--B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no clear-cut front runner...

I just mentioned Linehan only because he's more of a candidate than I believed he'd be at the beginning...

I didn't take him all that seriously ... which was bad judgement on my part.

Because Shaw and Zygmunt are pretty focused on their list and aren't wasting time with non-serious candidates.

--B

Bernie: Ken Whisenhunt?

He'll be interviewed this week -- not sure of the day.
    Impressive candidate.

--B

Post subject: Fisher

I can't be any more emphatic about this: the Rams have not expressed any interest in Jeff Fisher.

If he gets fired, that's a different story. He certainly goes into the mix. But Shaw won't pay draft picks for a coach.

--B

I like Fisher, too.

He just needs to get himself fired if he wants the Rams' gig.

They aren't going to be used for leverage by Fisher's agent -- who wants a contract extension for Fisher if Bud Adams wants to keep him in Tennessee.

--B

Post subject: Bernie: Shaw's expectations for the offense...

Shaw very much wants to continue down this path with the current offense -- except he wants a coach or coordinator who will run more.

Maintaining this offense is crucial to him.

He won't hire a defensive-oriented coach if that coach is ambivalent about offense or if the coach doesn't have a couple of viable candidates to run the offense.

That's why it might make more sense to hire an offensive-minded coach who has a top defensive coordinator ready to bring in. That way you get the best of both worlds.

--B

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: More Bernie on the coaches

But Shaw won't pay draft picks for a coach.
    And here's where Shaw and I see eye to eye. Why give up draft picks just to get a coach? There are plenty of equally-talented coaches out there not under contract to be had.
    That's why it might make more sense to hire an offensive-minded coach who has a top defensive coordinator ready to bring in.
    Not necessarily, Bernie. For example, the scenario with Rivera as HC bringing in Turner as OC would work beautifully.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

hubison,i disagree , i would give up picks for the right coach, which i think fisher would be a great fit, hes young and could be around for many years,whos on your list of coaches ?

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    hubison,i disagree , i would give up picks for the right coach, which i think fisher would be a great fit, hes young and could be around for many years,whos on your list of coaches ?
    I must admit, I haven't followed this nearly as close as others, so my opinion should be taken with a grain a salt, if that much. Having said all that, of the names I've heard, I like Rivera. If upgrading our defense is the goal, he appears to be the best of the current crop to do it. I would want a noted offensive mind in as OC, though.

My off-the-wall choice would have the Jags DC Mike Smith coming up to take the job and bringing Saunders over to handle the offense.....but that's just my version of the story.

Right now I would like to see Rivera in place, but I like what I'm hearing reported on Linehan as well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    My question would be......what is it about Fisher that would make him worth multiple first-round draft picks?

rammiser is offline Registered User

No coach is worth any draft pick compensation higher than a 4th rounder. What good would it do to bring in Fisher and give up the 11th pick in the first, 2nd, or 3rd round? I know one thing it would do is give us one less player we badly need. If it takes a high choice to get fisher forget it!
    Just Fix It

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    And here's where Shaw and I see eye to eye. Why give up draft picks just to get a coach? There are plenty of equally-talented coaches out there not under contract to be had. Not necessarily, Bernie. For example, the scenario with Rivera as HC bringing in Turner as OC would work beautifully.

good post bison could not of said it better myself , Is shaw going to finally step in and do something ? WOW He could he's done it in the past , Lets see??? Good info RW ...