Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User

More Cuts (According to Jim Thomas)

Rams' Fitzpatrick traded to Bengals
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/01/2007

The Rams were minus one quarterback Saturday morning when they took the field for practice at Rams Park, and sent another packing a few hours later when they sent their final roster cuts into the NFL office.

The day began with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick traded to Cincinnati for a seventh-round draft pick in the 2008 draft. It’s believed to be a conditional pick, with Fitzpatrick needing to be on the Bengals roster a certain number of games in order for the Rams to receive the seventh-rounder.

Later in the day, the Rams placed No. 4 quarterback Brock Berlin on waivers. That leaves the Rams with only two quarterbacks on their active roster, a growing trend in the NFL.

"I think there were six or seven (teams) last year (with two quarterbacks), and I think there could be more including ourselves this year," Scott Linehan said. "Either way you’re giving up something, so we’ll have to have a contingency plan for a third. We’ve got a couple ex-quarterbacks on our roster. We’ll figure out what kind of plays we’d have to run with those fellows."

That would be wide receivers Drew Bennett and Marques Hagans, who were both quarterbacks in college. In the meantime, the Rams plan to sign Berlin to the practice squad if he clears waivers by Sunday afternoon.

The Rams made several other moves to get down to Saturday afternoon’s roster limit of 53 players. Offensive lineman Todd Steussie, who underwent surgery for a broken foot Friday, has been placed on the injured reserve list, ending his season. Cornerback Fakhir Brown’s four-game suspension for violating the NFL substance abuse policy began Saturday afternoon, meaning he does not count against the 53-man roster.

Besides Berlin, the Rams released seven other players -- according to league sources -- to reach the 53-man limit: wide receivers Derek Stanley and Dominique Thompson; offensive linemen Dustin Fry and Jeremy Parquet; linebacker Jon Alston; defensive tackle Keith Jackson; and cornerback Darius Vinnett.

As of late Saturday afternoon, the Rams had not confirmed those cuts or made an announcement on released players.

The biggest surprise in the group was Alston, a third-round pick in 2006, who although raw and unpolished, had seemed to make substantial progress over the course of training camp and the preseason. But it appears that rookie free agent Quinton Culberson has won Alston’s roster spot. Fry (fifth round), Stanley (seventh round), and Jackson (seventh round) were ’07 draft picks.

Even with Saturday’s roster moves, there could be more moves forthcoming before the roster settles in. The Rams still have nine defensive linemen -- one more than usual -- with ends Trevor Johnson and Eric Moore both on the roster as of Saturday afternoon. The release of Vinnett left them with only eight defensive backs -- one fewer than usual.

In addition, all four tight ends -- Dominique Byrd, Joe Klopfenstein, Randy McMichael, and Aaron Walker -- remained on the roster as did fullback Madison Hedgecock

BRUUUUUUUUCE

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: More Cuts (According to Jim Thomas)

That bothers me that we have 4 tightends but we can't see that Alston doesn't have any talent whatsoever to be kept. For the sake of his 3rd round pick, keep him another year and see what he can do.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Wow, seeing Alston on the list is surprising. I hope Culberson works out. Keeping all four TE's plus Hedgecock is interesting too.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Wow, seeing Alston on the list is surprising. I hope Culberson works out. Keeping all four TE's plus Hedgecock is interesting too.
    I agree, I was surprised about Alston also. I don't even know what to think about 4 TE's and Hedgecock. Maybe it's because there is too much potential in Byrd to cut him but he's not good enough yet to beat out Walker, so we keep them both and decide as the year goes on, or even next year, if Byrd is worth keeping.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Keenum is offline Registered User

You know it had to be hard when they decided to cut Alston. Hopefully he gets a shot somewhere else, or we may need to bring him back later.
    Any news on who is gonna be on the practice squad?

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    Any news on who is gonna be on the practice squad?
    I believe the rule is they have to make it through waivers first and then we can fill the practice squad.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post

Same here. Sad to see Alston gone, especially while Byrd is still in-house. We'll see what happens from here till Tuesday.

Best wishes to Alston (and Fitz). :r

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

You said it. Alston gives all he's got and shines throughout the preseason. He gets cut. Byrd continues to completely underwhelm us. He stays.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

So what does our D-Tackle depth chart look like now?

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Way too many TEs....not needed in this offense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigredman is offline Registered User

I can't believe we'll go into the season with 4 tightends. There must be some discussion of trade, otherwise it doesn't make any football sense whatsoever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Maybe Coach Linehan will be using alot of 2 TE sets in his offense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Maybe Coach Linehan will be using alot of 2 TE sets in his offense.
    Even then (although I don't see it based on his history) you would still just keep two TE's because you can always use a backup RB/FB in the position if one gets hurt. The only way this makes any sense is if two of those TE's are exceptional special teams players, and that isn't the case here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Let's not forget folks that this likely will not be our final 53. I find it hard to believe that Linny and crew are satisfied with our current depth at OT, plus the fact that when Fakir comes back someone's got to go to make room for him.

I too am shocked at the release of Jon Alston, but upon closer inspection alot of the shock is based on how high he was picked. Sounds like Culberson and McGarigle are really good football players though not exceptional athletes. Over the past few years we have had too many of the latter as opposed to the former ...

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Let's not forget folks that this likely will not be our final 53. I find it hard to believe that Linny and crew are satisfied with our current depth at OT, plus the fact that when Fakir comes back someone's got to go to make room for him.

I too am shocked at the release of Jon Alston, but upon closer inspection alot of the shock is based on how high he was picked. Sounds like Culberson and McGarigle are really good football players though not exceptional athletes.

Good observations Maui. I think a change or two may be in the works for our current mix at OL although I want to see M. Brown stay put, for sure.

On the other side -- and forgive my insistance and favoritism -- I hope McGarigle remains in the 53 man roster. To me, this LB can reach the same value that we appreciated in Jon Alston though not necessarily through the same physical attributes (even if same in size). I've been rooting for Tim since last year and am hopeful via his impressive collegiate achievements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast