Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

More details on Pace's agents / Rams withdraw offer to Edwards

Pace hires agents from Chicago firm
    By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Monday, Feb. 28 2005

In a move that could lead to a multi-year contract with the Rams, left tackle
    Orlando Pace has hired agents Fletcher Smith and Kennard McGuire of CSMG Sports
    in Chicago.

"We think it's a tremendous opportunity," McGuire told the Post-Dispatch on
    Monday. "We're excited to get the ball rolling (with the Rams) and see where
    this takes us. We're looking forward to seeing this process through."

At Pace's request, McGuire declined to disclose specifics on why Pace chose his
    firm as agents. But Rams officials said Monday that the fact that Pace now has
    representation is a positive sign that he wants to sign a contract with St.
    Louis.

But as one Rams official said, "Having an agent is still a long ways from
    having a deal done."

St. Louis-based Rocky Arceneaux of Alliance Management and Kansas City-based
    Tom Condon of industry giant IMG Football had been the two agents most
    prominently rumored as front-runners for Pace's services.

McGuire and Smith have a modest stable of NFL players, and neither is known for
    holdouts. A quick survey of the NFL Players Association player-agent list
    showed them with 17 players on 12 NFL teams. The headliner of the group is
    Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Their client list also includes Dallas cornerback Terence Newman, the fifth
    overall pick in the 2003 draft; defensive lineman Ty Warren and linebacker
    Rosevelt Colvin of the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots; and Eagles
    running back Correll Buckhalter.

The news comes on the heels of a hectic weekend of Pace-related developments in
    which the Rams floated his name as a trade possibility to the Giants. Later,
    parties from both clubs strongly denied that anything resembling substantive
    trade talks had taken place.

On Sunday, coach Mike Martz said his frustration was increasing with Pace
    because the club had placed the franchise tag on him for the third consecutive
    year.

As long as Pace is under the franchise tag, he counts more than $8.4 million
    against the team's 2005 salary cap. A multi-year deal could slice that cap
    count in half, freeing up several million dollars to pursue other free agents,
    and ensuring that Pace has a full offseason and preseason of work with the
    club.

Rams withdraw offer to Edwards

Frustrated over their inability to get a contract done with Antuan Edwards, the
    Rams have rescinded what is believed to be a three-year offer to the veteran
    free safety.

Edwards was making the veteran's minimum when he was released by Miami last
    November and picked up by St. Louis. The club's offer to Edwards is believed to
    be in the range of $1 million per year. Edwards' agent, Cary Fabrikant, did not
    return phone calls from the Post-Dispatch on Monday.

The Rams apparently want to put that money to a different use with the free
    agency period beginning Wednesday.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Re: More details on Pace's agents / Rams withdraw offer to Edwards

Good riddance to edwards, fine to keep him on the cheap, but i still cant believe that he dropped the ball that hit him in the hands for the TD against atlanta in the playoffs.

general counsel

I wouldn't be surprised (in fact I actually hope it happens) if the Rams make a play on a free safety on the first day of the draft, in the event that Arch doesn't heal as expected or doesn't work out as a coverage player. Had they signed Edwards, they probably wouldn't have needed one as early, but without Edwards, they really need to find someone whose strength is playing the field.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Maybe we can pick up Ty Law cheap,or relatively cheap. He would be a great asset for mainly teachin the younger guys.He'd be the new Aeneas.Then maybe we could get his take on Superbowl 36 and find out why they got away with cheating so blatantly.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I wouldn't be surprised (in fact I actually hope it happens) if the Rams make a play on a free safety on the first day of the draft, in the event that Arch doesn't heal as expected or doesn't work out as a coverage player. Had they signed Edwards, they probably wouldn't have needed one as early, but without Edwards, they really need to find someone whose strength is playing the field.
    Well, there's Pool & Bullocks and that's about it for pure coverage safeties. Pool will probably be gone before our 2nd pick, and Bullocks may be gone by our 3rd pick. Another intriguing option that should be there to start day 2 is LSU corner Travis Daniels (6'1" 195). He's got decent speed, great technique and saw a lot of passes thrown his way (having to play across from Corey Webster). He's played some safety in addition to corner, so if he can stay healthy, he would be a good 4th rounder.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Maybe we can pick up Ty Law cheap,or relatively cheap.
    A Poston client and cheap in the same sentence? You must be joking.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

The falcons had released a safety....was it a strong safety?

I believe Cory Hall, the safety the Falcons released, is a free safety. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    I believe Cory Hall, the safety the Falcons released, is a free safety. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.
    You're correct, ZZR. Hall was the Falcons starting FS for 13 games last year. He's 28 and a 6-year vet. He puts up average numbers, but only has 3 picks in 87 career games and none in his last 26 games.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Well, there's Pool & Bullocks and that's about it for pure coverage safeties. Pool will probably be gone before our 2nd pick, and Bullocks may be gone by our 3rd pick. Another intriguing option that should be there to start day 2 is LSU corner Travis Daniels (6'1" 195). He's got decent speed, great technique and saw a lot of passes thrown his way (having to play across from Corey Webster). He's played some safety in addition to corner, so if he can stay healthy, he would be a good 4th rounder.
    For some reason I keep thinking that there are two defensive backs from Va Tech that have experience at safety as well, but I might be way off.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    For some reason I keep thinking that there are two defensive backs from Va Tech that have experience at safety as well, but I might be way off.
    Well, I can think of Eric Green (CB) of course, but he is purely a cover corner, I think. However, there is also Vincent Fuller, who's bounced back and forth between corner and safety. He's got good speed and is great in run support, but does make mistakes in man coverage.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Rams withdraw offer to Edwards

Frustrated over their inability to get a contract done with Antuan Edwards, the
    Rams have rescinded what is believed to be a three-year offer to the veteran
    free safety.

Edwards was making the veteran's minimum when he was released by Miami last
    November and picked up by St. Louis. The club's offer to Edwards is believed to
    be in the range of $1 million per year. Edwards' agent, Cary Fabrikant, did not
    return phone calls from the Post-Dispatch on Monday.

The Rams apparently want to put that money to a different use with the free
    agency period beginning Wednesday.
    So does this mean the Rams are done with Edwards, or does this mean they are going FA shopping first and then they may come back to him? Anybody know more details?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is like the Cris Carter situation from a few years ago. We'd love to have you...no response? *BOOM* The locker room door is slammed loudly in their face.

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    You're correct, ZZR. Hall was the Falcons starting FS for 13 games last year. He's 28 and a 6-year vet. He puts up average numbers, but only has 3 picks in 87 career games and none in his last 26 games.
    Corey Hall is a graduate of South High School here in Bakersfield...where I happen to teach It'd be kinda cool to see a former Rebel in the Blue and Gold. Here is a poster I made for his recent visit...