MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

More encouraging news on Rams sale front ..

By Tim Klutsarits
    June 23, 1:35 PM
    There is some more encouraging news out there on the Rams sale front. There seems to be more signs pointing toward a sale coming sooner rather than later and the Rams remaining in St. Louis.

One of the signs comes from Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports who is one of the most tied in people in NFL circles when it comes to covering the league. I would place him ahead of the Peter King's and Chris Mortensen's of the world, that is how good his info is. In Friday's column Silver placed this note in his article on things he says you can take to the ATM....

"The NFL will waive its provision against cross-ownership of teams in competing markets to allow minority owner Stan Kroenke to purchase a controlling interest in the St. Louis Rams."

That would be a huge win for the Rams, the league and the fans. Kroenke has been a model owner in the NHL, the NBA and the English Premier League. As well he has been as good of an owner as a minority partner can be here in St. Louis. If the NFL were to waive the rule then there is no question that Kroenke would be the best option for Rams fans.

Bernie Miklasz at the Post-Dispatch wrote about how Kroenke has been silent during this whole process and will most likely continue to be. I am wondering if there has been some politicking going on in league circles to see if Kroenke can make the deal. In other words make sure you have the votes before you make the deal with the Rosenbloom family. It makes a lot of sense.

One other note from Silver in today's column that is an interesting thought and is another positive for Rams fans. Silver says that "I believe the league will try to ensure that St. Louis doesn't lose its team, and here's one reasons why: For all the talk about wanting to fill the L.A. void, I think NFL owners LIKE having a vacancy in the nation's second largest market. That's because every time a franchise wants a new or upgraded stadium in its current locale - often with outright public assistance or, at the very least, considerations from voters and lawmakers that improve the financial terms - the teams owner can explicitly or implicitly threaten to move to Los Angeles, and it seems believable. Once the L.A. market is filled, that blackmail option won't be as viable." I think that Silver is on to something there. I don't think that it is maybe said openly but it certainly doesn't hurt the other 31 owners if the doomsday option is on the table. Ask the Saints, Chargers, Vikings, Jaguars and now Rams if that might not be a motivator to help their situations.

Another article, and positive sign about the Rams sale situation, that is worth your time reading is by Josh Lobdell, the Sports Business Examiner. Lobdell believes that the Minnesota Vikings are more likely for Los Angeles than the Rams are. As I stated the first day this story came to life there is a long way to go before the Rams would even be considering a move to Los Angeles and there are a number of teams that can beat them there.

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: More encouraging news on Rams sale front ..

IF TRUE, this is very encouraging news for The City of St. Louis.

I'm kind of growing fond of it now anyway !!!!

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Silva has been wrong MANY times.

I'll believe it when its a done deal.

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Take this with a grain of salt, folks.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

One of the signs comes from Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports who is one of the most tied in people in NFL circles when it comes to covering the league.
    The question is not the credibility of Michael Silver, but rather that of Tim Klutsarits.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'll believe it when its a done deal.

I completely agree. I would love to believe this, but nothing is certain until it actually happens. I would be surprised if the NFL actually changes the rule on cross-ownership. They should, as it makes about as much sense as the blackout rule, but again, I'll believe that when I see it. I also think it's strange that they would want to keep L.A. vacant just to use as a ploy. Seems like a waste to me.
    :1:

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I dunno Banks, I think the cross ownership rule makes a fair amount of sense. If you own a part of, or a whole team in another city, why wouldn't you want to consolidate and have all of your teams in one city? Saves on travel time at least.

What I could see happening would be that the league either forgives the rule this one time, or that it revises it so that you can't have a MAJORITY stake in teams in another city. Then Kronke can sell off his majorityships in Denver for the cash to become the majority owner for the Rams.

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

If he's a model sports franchise owner, the type the league want in charge of it's member teams, then telling him he can't maintain majority ownership in the Denver teams and has to sell up is not a good way of encoraging the man, or others of his ilk, to be more involved in the NFL.

I understand the rules existence, but it should be a guideline that can be reviewed on a case by case basis rather than a cast iron league law. The rule serves to protect sports franchises, but Kroenke poses no threat to any of the teams he's involved with.

Truth is offline Registered User

Whether the Rams are sold, stay in St Louis, or move elsewhere really just depends on how happy the ownership is with the stadium and revenues from that stadium after the contract is up. Don't believe for a moment that the Rams (especially if they're sold) are committed to St Louis if they don't get what they want for a stadium at the end of this current deal. Personally, I think it stinks when teams move around too much. I think it's bad for the game and the fans.

As for the Vikings moving...you'd see a HUGE outcry from fans here. It would be like the Cardinals (baseball) leaving St Louis. Minnesota is a Vikings state. People here like other sports. But, the Vikings are the heart and soul of the fans in this state. It would be a huge mistake if the NFL and the owners let the Vikings move.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

It kind of a sad way to run a billion dollar business where blackmail is part of your mission statement...
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood