RamWraith is offline Registered User

More Ram Signings

By
    Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/14/2007

With two weeks remaining before training camp, the Rams have successfully completed negotiations with six of their eight draft picks. On Friday, the team agreed to three-year deals with Clemson center Dustin Fry, Michigan State defensive tackle Clifton Ryan and Georgia tackle Ken Shackleford.

Fry and Ryan were fifth-round selections; Shackleford was taken in the sixth round. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Signed previously were Tennessee cornerback Jonathan Wade, a third-round selection, plus seventh-rounders Keith Jackson, a defensive tackle from Arkansas, and Derek Stanley, a wide receiver from Wisconsin-Whitewater.

Still without deals are Nebraska defensive lineman Adam Carriker, the teamís first-round selection (No. 13 overall), and Rutgers running back Brian Leonard, a second-rounder.

The 6-foot-3, 314-pound Fry started for two seasons at Clemson and was an All-Atlantic Coast Conference pick as a senior. He was a state-champion wrestler at Summerville (S.C.) High. Veterans Andy McCollum and Brett Romberg are expected to compete for the starting job at center. Fry, who also will get a look at guard, could earn a job as backup or land on the practice spot.

Ryan, 6-3 and 310, was recruited as a linebacker and also played defensive end for the Spartans. He made 35 starts, collecting 118 tackles and 10Ĺ sacks. Barring a deal for a veteran defensive tackle, Ryan and Jackson are expected to compete for a backup assignment on the line.

Shackleford, 6-5 and 330, played tackle and guard in college. He started a strongside tackle his junior and senior years. Shackleford probably is headed for the practice squad.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: More Ram Signings

This should wrap up any leverage money-wise the Carriker will have in the rookie pool money. The only thing left will be the length of the contract, and the up front money. Right?

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Fantastic news, I really have a good feeling about this years draft and I can see most of these young guys staying around for a very long time.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

I too have a very good feeling, and I just see good things with this coaching staff. They're balanced, creative, and down to earth, unlike Martz. This year's draft shows a way of thinking that I've seen associated with Andy Reid and the Eagles. He likes to build his teams from the inside out, meaning that he makes sure his lines are solid before moving out to the linebackers and QB and RB and then out to the secondary and the wide receivers. They targeted our biggest need first and then got a couple of skill players who were rated highly and then got a whole string of less flashy talents but those who have a good opportunity to bring a lot to this team in terms of depth and have potential to be real gems.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

i really dont know why, but something is telling me that the DT Jackson we picked up in like the 7th right? well anyways somethings telling me he is gonna be a real stud, lets hope its right
    Built RAM tough

TekeRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    i really dont know why, but something is telling me that the DT Jackson we picked up in like the 7th right? well anyways somethings telling me he is gonna be a real stud, lets hope its right
    Well, his dad played in the NFL, so he has the bloodlines, and maybe the father-son competition to want to be a stud. Of course, he could also could have been pushed in by his dad and he doesn't really want to play, but I doubt he'd be good enough to be drafted if he was that.

Some stats on his dad: TE for Oklahoma, in the College Football Hall of Fame.
    From wikipedia:
    "After being drafted by the Eagles in 1988, Jackson recorded 81 receptions for 869 yards and 6 touchdowns in his first season, along with seven catches for 142 yards in the Eagles' only playoff game that year, and won the NFC Rookie of the Year award. In his nine seasons, Jackson made the Pro Bowl five times (1988-1990, 1992, 1996). In his final season, Jackson made 40 receptions for 505 yards and a career-high 10 touchdowns, assisting the Packers to a 13-3 record and a win in Super Bowl XXXI.

Jackson finished his career with 441 receptions for 5,283 yards and 49 touchdowns."

Seeing that, I would definitely say that our Jackson certainly has a chance to be a diamond in the rough find for us, if he can do as well as his dad. And hey, he might have some pretty good hands for a DT too. We could play him as a TE in goalline situations! Sapp did it, Jackson can do it!