Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

More from Vitt on Faulk on the Sidelines

Vitt Speaks! Highlights from Monday's press conference
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS
    12/20/2005

Upon further review, interim Rams coach Joe Vitt is STILL furious. He threw the offensive line under the bus during his Monday news conference at Rams Park.

Usually by this time of the day, after a tough loss, you calm down, you have time to reflect, but Ill tell you, Im still pissed, Vitt said. Im pissed. Its not right what took place yesterday on the football field.

To have the illegal procedure calls we had, the offside calls we had, was totally unacceptable. Its the same quarterback in practice with the same snap count all week long. Im not happy with the way our offensive line is practicing, Im not happy with the way were playing.

I think were (blocking) high, were soft, were not coming off the ball. Thats going to change this week in practice. Its been addressed, it just hasnt gotten done. So it will be addressed again.

The offensive line is the heart and soul of your football team. It protects the quarterback, it gets your running game going . . . its totally unacceptable.

Here were some other highlights:

On why Arlen Harris played ahead of Marshall Faulk on the final Rams possession: Marshall Faulk participated in 43 snaps yesterday. Its the most snaps hes had in two years. On the short-yardage run, he got dinged a little bit. Still went back in and played.

Our game plan in the two-minute drill . . . the back is going to block. Arlen Harris is our best at blocking big linebackers in nickel protections. He went in. I called the second-and-one run. We got to second down and one, I told Steve (Fairchild), hey, run it right here, Arlen carried it. Its going to be a first down five yards from a field goal, but we get offensive holding. As soon as we cross the 50, it was the plan for Marshall to go back into the game.

He was half-gassed. Hes getting as much water as he can. He played his ass off. Being around him yesterday, I understand why he is going to the Hall of Fame. Hes make some outstanding runs yesterday.

On what he will do with the offensive line in practice: Were going to work harder. Were going to get in the huddle. Were going to run to the ball. Were going to get down in the three-point stance and were going to finish blocks. When the ball is in the air, were going to cover. When its a run, were going to finish and were going to run back into the huddle, put your hands on your knees, get the call and get back up there again. No more walking! No more walking!

Its the holiday season, its the holiday week, all that stuff and I know where we are right now . . . but let me tell you something, were still going to practice hard. Were still going to practice hard.

On why there were so many fall starts: Theyre not hearing the snap count. Either they dont know what the snap count is on, theyre guessing . . . if its on two, you go on two. If its on one, you go on one. If its a quick count, be ready to go. If its a hard count, hold your water. Its high school football. Its high school football.

On the play of tackle Alex Barron: Pretty good. He battled. He has to get a little more confidence. I know his (surgically repaired) hand was hurting him. He was catching more than punching. I think that will come. I was proud of him. I really think hes going to be spectacular. When he has a whole offseason in the weight room with power lifts and getting stronger, I think hell be a premier tackle. To do what he did, coming back from surgery, playing with that cast, playing against Jevon Kearse, I was real proud of him.

On whether quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is loud enough: I dont think hes whispering. If anybody ever needs a hearing aid out there, then well get them fitted for a hearing aid. I didnt hear a lot of hard crowd noise out there. No excuses!

On what he can do about the screw-ups: I only have a certain pool of players that I can pick from right now. Were banged up. Those are that are able to play are going to play our way on our terms, not their terms, our terms.

On who will play quarterback Saturday: Well see. Well talk about that tomorrow when we get in our personnel meetings.

On why he yanked Fitzpatrick: The throws and the mechanics, decision making . . . the one seam route he threw to Brandon (Manumaleuna) for the interception, it was late. It was play action, try to hold the middle linebacker. The play action wasnt there. At that point in time, its a one-point game, there were some two-minute situations . . . I thought that Jamie (Martin) gave us our best chance to win.

On the play of his defense: We give up a big play again on defense in the first quarter. We got him stopped in the backfield, we got him wrapped up. He gets away, he breaks two more tackles. Story of the game. Story of the game. We wanted to win the game on defense. We wanted to shut them out and create field position for the offense. After that, we played OK.

On Chris Claiborne not playing at linebacker: Trev Faulk had 13 tackles. Probably the best defensive player we had out there yesterday. The best players are going to play.

On the play of his special teams: Special teams, we keep giving up the big return, create field position for the opposing offense. Our defense did go in there twice and make some nice stops. They answered the bell. But we will find people who want to tackle the ballcarrier on the kickoff team and on the punt team.

We have some options. Im not going to talk about them right now, you will see them on Wednesday. We do have some options. Well speak to the front office later on about it. We are going to address it.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Re: More from Vitt on Faulk on the Sidelines

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS
    12/20/2005

Upon further review, interim Rams coach Joe Vitt is STILL furious. He threw the offensive line under the bus during his Monday news conference at Rams Park.

Usually by this time of the day, after a tough loss, you calm down, you have time to reflect, but Ill tell you, Im still pissed, Vitt said. Im pissed. Its not right what took place yesterday on the football field.

To have the illegal procedure calls we had, the offside calls we had, was totally unacceptable. Its the same quarterback in practice with the same snap count all week long. Im not happy with the way our offensive line is practicing, Im not happy with the way were playing.

I think were (blocking) high, were soft, were not coming off the ball. Thats going to change this week in practice. Its been addressed, it just hasnt gotten done. So it will be addressed again.

The offensive line is the heart and soul of your football team. It protects the quarterback, it gets your running game going . . . its totally unacceptable.

On why Arlen Harris played ahead of Marshall Faulk on the final Rams possession: Marshall Faulk participated in 43 snaps yesterday. Its the most snaps hes had in two years. On the short-yardage run, he got dinged a little bit. Still went back in and played.

Our game plan in the two-minute drill . . . the back is going to block. Arlen Harris is our best at blocking big linebackers in nickel protections. He went in. I called the second-and-one run. We got to second down and one, I told Steve (Fairchild), hey, run it right here, Arlen carried it. Its going to be a first down five yards from a field goal, but we get offensive holding. As soon as we cross the 50, it was the plan for Marshall to go back into the game.

He was half-gassed. Hes getting as much water as he can. He played his ass off. Being around him yesterday, I understand why he is going to the Hall of Fame. Hes make some outstanding runs yesterday.

On what he will do with the offensive line in practice: Were going to work harder. Were going to get in the huddle. Were going to run to the ball. Were going to get down in the three-point stance and were going to finish blocks. When the ball is in the air, were going to cover. When its a run, were going to finish and were going to run back into the huddle, put your hands on your knees, get the call and get back up there again. No more walking! No more walking!

Its the holiday season, its the holiday week, all that stuff and I know where we are right now . . . but let me tell you something, were still going to practice hard. Were still going to practice hard.

On why there were so many fall starts: Theyre not hearing the snap count. Either they dont know what the snap count is on, theyre guessing . . . if its on two, you go on two. If its on one, you go on one. If its a quick count, be ready to go. If its a hard count, hold your water. Its high school football. Its high school football.

On the play of tackle Alex Barron: Pretty good. He battled. He has to get a little more confidence. I know his (surgically repaired) hand was hurting him. He was catching more than punching. I think that will come. I was proud of him. I really think hes going to be spectacular. When he has a whole offseason in the weight room with power lifts and getting stronger, I think hell be a premier tackle. To do what he did, coming back from surgery, playing with that cast, playing against Jevon Kearse, I was real proud of him.

On whether quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is loud enough: I dont think hes whispering. If anybody ever needs a hearing aid out there, then well get them fitted for a hearing aid. I didnt hear a lot of hard crowd noise out there. No excuses!

On what he can do about the screw-ups: I only have a certain pool of players that I can pick from right now. Were banged up. Those are that are able to play are going to play our way on our terms, not their terms, our terms.

On who will play quarterback Saturday: Well see. Well talk about that tomorrow when we get in our personnel meetings.

On why he yanked Fitzpatrick: The throws and the mechanics, decision making . . . the one seam route he threw to Brandon (Manumaleuna) for the interception, it was late. It was play action, try to hold the middle linebacker. The play action wasnt there. At that point in time, its a one-point game, there were some two-minute situations . . . I thought that Jamie (Martin) gave us our best chance to win.

On the play of his defense: We give up a big play again on defense in the first quarter. We got him stopped in the backfield, we got him wrapped up. He gets away, he breaks two more tackles. Story of the game. Story of the game. We wanted to win the game on defense. We wanted to shut them out and create field position for the offense. After that, we played OK.

On Chris Claiborne not playing at linebacker: Trev Faulk had 13 tackles. Probably the best defensive player we had out there yesterday. The best players are going to play.

On the play of his special teams: Special teams, we keep giving up the big return, create field position for the opposing offense. Our defense did go in there twice and make some nice stops. They answered the bell. But we will find people who want to tackle the ballcarrier on the kickoff team and on the punt team.

We have some options. Im not going to talk about them right now, you will see them on Wednesday. We do have some options. Well speak to the front office later on about it. We are going to address it.
    Thats the kind of talk I like to hear from our H.C. , To bad it took the end of the season for it to start ...

socalramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS
    12/20/2005

Hey Vitt you have bigger problems to worry about its called defense and pressuring the quarterback.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

This is why Jackie Slater needs to be brought in as the O line coach. The O-line has not been the same since Hanni left.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey