Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: This is the most difficult season (as a fan) since 2002.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

This is the most difficult season (as a fan) since 2002.

As a long time Rams fan, I've endured bad seasons. Its never fun. But this one is more painful than most. In fact, I recently found myself wondering how long its been since I've been this disappointed at the start of a season. The answer I came up with is 2002.

In the Line#@& years, I didn't expect much, and I didn't get much. So, as painful as a 1-15 season was a few years back, it didn't hit me as hard as the start of this season has.

The difference, of course, is that this year I had hope. Heck, I fully expected the Rams to win their division (a proposition that seems like a pipe dream now).

In 2002, we were coming off a great season that had a bad ending. Still, we had a talented team that looked poised to return and contend again. Unfortunately, a combination of injuries and the mythical "Super Bowl hangover" lead to an 0-5 start on the way to a 7-9 season that effectively ended the GSOT era.

This time around, it seems like the Rams are the victim of a "perfect storm." The strong points from last year (O line, improving defense) now look like flukes. The weaknesses that remained (WRs, OLBs) have become more pronounced. And, on top of it all, the decimation of the Rams CB corps has turned a potential strength area into a huge hole.

I think this team CAN be fixed relatively quickly, but I don't see it happening this year.

As was the case in 2002, the destruction of hope is a bitter pill. I, for one, am still trying to swallow it.

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Re: This is the most difficult season (as a fan) since 2002.

Fully agree Av. As mentioned in a different thread some people just don't get it. There just aren't a lot of even reasonably competent CBs and receivers out there just hanging out waiting for us to call. There are some that will be FA next season, and of course the draft. But you can't just replace all the guys we lost overnight. The pool of available players just isn't there. And players coming off any practice squad are generally development projects that really aren't ready for starter positions. Ala King. Hey I made a funny. Point is the CB and receiver problems aren't going to be fixed overnight, or even likely before the end of the season, as hard as that is to say and accept. And we made a HUGE mistake in letting some of the players leave in FA ourselves. We should have just spent the damn money and kept them.

Hope for this season? I still hope to at least end 7-9 like last year. I think it can still be done with a lot of hard work.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breads creation.
    PARamfan likes this.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

Were going to have to hit on the first 3-4 rounds in the draft perfectly next year.

Bartells career might be over and with Fletcher out, how durable will he be next year?

Our WR core is below average and we absolutely need a play maker for Sammy B.

We're going to have to draft a RB and DT for the future as well.

Not to mention our OLB's are in their 30's and our O-line is much less promising then it was last year.

This is so stressful. At the beginning of the season, I had huge hopes for this team. Now it seems as if we have more holes then we can patch up quickly.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

I feel exactly the same. I feel like this season is a wash. And we move on to next year get a good weapon in the first round receivers mainly. Bradford needs weapons, we need like a Megatron on our team or something. Something to give us that edge of continuously making first downs. we also need to play the draft for good linebackers.

In the midst of all this it looks like we need a new o-line the way there were picking up blitzes this past Sunday.

I feel like our scouting hasn't been very good, we are playing the draft looking for young talent yes. And some times its a hit or miss. We keep missing, and as a ram fan i am getting tired of it.

Bradford IMHO is a stud. we need to get him some good weapons.

this season seems like a lost cause, how many teams have made playoffs starting 0 - 4? i don't know of many, i hope i am wrong, but this year i don't think i am.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -10-06-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianpunch View Post
    In the midst of all this it looks like we need a new o-line the way there were picking up blitzes this past Sunday.
    I would disagree with the O-line, I'd give them a chance through midseason to see how they're capable of because it seems they're still accustomed to running Shurmur's offense. Even though they allowed Bradford to get sacked 7 times, part of that was his own fault because he had the tendency to hold the ball for too long rather than throwing it away when you knew the cookie was bound to crumble. If anything really, Bradford needs to start doing what Manning did in 2009 and make quick releases on his throws with receivers running the short routes until the O-line can get used to running the spread offense.
    hawaiianpunch likes this.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

But they need to learn how to pick up blitzes, that outing was terrible. They all looked confused. Dropping back to block on a passing play doesn't take a full year to learn though.

if Bradford sees the pressure he has to let it go. But Bradfords recievers have to catch the passes when he throws it out to them on blitzes. The amount of dropped passes were just unacceptable, forcing Bradford to make poor decisions. Even if this is a new offense. Dropped passes and protection on pass plays are unacceptable.

it did seem like at the end of the last game, Bradford lacked that fire to try and win the game that other quarter backs have with a bunch of overthrows. I have not seen Bradford lead a comeback in the 4th quarter yet to win the game with a touchdown. We still have much to see from this whole team in general. Bradford can be accurate but there are glimpses of pressuring him making him choke. But any quarter back chokes under immense pressure. Brady's Superbowl against the giants comes to mind.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -10-09-2011 at 01:20 PM.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    I would disagree with the O-line, I'd give them a chance through midseason to see how they're capable of because it seems they're still accustomed to running Shurmur's offense. Even though they allowed Bradford to get sacked 7 times, part of that was his own fault because he had the tendency to hold the ball for too long rather than throwing it away when you knew the cookie was bound to crumble. If anything really, Bradford needs to start doing what Manning did in 2009 and make quick releases on his throws with receivers running the short routes until the O-line can get used to running the spread offense.
    Do you mean go back to last years offense.? I do expect the Rams to go back to last years offense some, when the Rams play the Packers.? This offense versus the 3-4 is going to get Bradford hurt, simple as that.? So I hope the Rams will do the right thing, and cut back on the 7 step drops. Its too easy for opposing D's at the moment, Bradford is becoming rattled and teams are now targeting him especially. IT NEEDS TO STOP
    hawaiianpunch likes this.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

+1

The last many years I have kind of expected us to play bad, offcourse I told my self at the beginning of each season that it could happen and any given sunday!

But this year I really believed it, told everybody who couldn't get away before I got started how good the Rams would be in 2011 and so forth.

Well I hurts alot to get ones hope crushed........

Go Rams!

THOLTFAN81 is online now Registered User

This reminds me of my thread Av. I'm with you. This losing is the worst. Last night my dad (a jet fan) was like "I feel so bad for you. It's only October and you're already talking about a new coach and next season". I said to him though it's justified because this years over before it ever really began.

Great post Av. I'll be a Rams fan no matter how bad it's about to get, and even if this years a waste.

Just hope kroenke brings in the right people to get us competing next year... Which isn't unlikely considering it's been done many times when the right people are bought in. Dolphins went 1-15, bought n a new gm and coach and made the playoffs the next year.

I want Gruden or another former HC... And no I am not Jon Gruden, just love everything about him

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Isn't it amazing how the Rams going 7-9 and not going deep into the playoffs is now considered a disaster of a season?

For some people their biggest complaint was that we used a timeout when it wasn't absolutely necessary and one day, that might come back to haunt us so we should replace the head coach. Think about how things have changed since those glorious years and what people complained about then versus now.

I remember clearly hearing people demand we fire Martz. When asked who you would hire to replace him and the argument was "anyone is better than Martz". Oh how things come back to bite us where it counts.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Time will tell whether last year was the fluke or this year as far as the offensive play. I agree that the failure is hard to swallow, though. This was supposed to be the year we took the great leap forward despite the brutal schedule. With O.J. the only major free agent departure and his spot being filled capably by the arrival of Mikell, it looked like we had nowhere to go but up. We brought in one of the hottest young coordinators in the game in McDaniels. We acquired Dahl to strengthen the offensive line. All for naught. It's all about expectations, and we expected so much more.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Yep, great expectations has turned into another tragic comedy. Difficult, painful, and at times laughable.

rampower is offline Registered User

We should change our name to the St Louis Rebuiders. Its all we been doin lately. Its getting soul destroying.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The thing that hurts the most is our last loss. The Redskins are lucky to be 3-1 and we should have been able to handle them especially at home. How Spags can stand in front of the microphones and not show any anger or disgust is beyond me. He's steady as a rock on the outside. I wish I knew how he was feeling on the inside. Although PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS? Did you say PLAYOFFS? are looking very grim I still see our team stringing a few wins together. I know I need it and I think the rest of us around here need some positive news from our team. I'm truly disappointed but I'm anxious for our team to get back on the field.

GO RAMS!!! Win one for the CLAN!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast