Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

The most disappointed Ram today is..

Mardy Gilyard. Poor guy spent all year behind the 8 ball trying to learn the offense and now he's got to start all over. He didn't show any penchant for picking it up quickly. Makes me wonder if he'll be the odd man out. You gotta feel for him, he seems like a good kid.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: The most disappointed Ram today is..

New free agent/ 1st round rookie
    Amendola
    Mark Clayton
    Donnie Avery
    DX
    Gibson

I think Mardy was gonna have a tough time making the roster regardless of who was offensive coordinator.

But I see what you are saying, if he had a hard time picking up the Philly WCO then how will he handle the supposedly more complex McD Spread O?

Of course, if Josh is as good as I think he is, and Mardy is as good as we all hoped he would be, then I don't see why he couldn't get a specific package to get the ball in his hands.

Unfortunately I just don't think he made enough big plays to be worth a roster spot.

Good kid, just not the playmaker we thought he was.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

If you cant read and remember, you probably shouldn't be playing football. Sorry Mardy, maybe next time.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i`m sure he`s a good kid but perhaps too much of a kid...when you enter the NFL the first thing you need to do is learn how to play in the NFL...not make up as many nicknames as you can for your team mates!
    i think he was due for the PS at best whoever was to be the OC for next season.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

I think Mardy may have a big year next year. You have to remember he ran a spread o in college.

Keen Eye is offline Registered User

If Mardy is as unintelligent as you say he is... he might have trouble making the squad.

However if he has the talent I know Spags/McDaniels will do their best to get him on the field...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Ease up, guys. He was a rookie, and we weren't exactly expecting him to be a polished recruit when we drafted him. It's a big learning curve to make the adjustment to the pros, and unlike last year, Gilyard and the rest will have a full off-season to study the playbook this time around. A fair amount of Avery's success his first year came from the times we just told him to "go long". Alexander got more playing time than Gilyard in 2010, but even he was used sparingly. Amendola wasn't exactly an instant success out of college either.

The way I see it, Gilyard is more of an agility player than one gifted with extraordinary strength or size or straight line speed. That means he has to be that much more precise in his route-running in order to get separation. We can probably all agree that the competition for spots next year is going to be fierce, but let's not count him out just yet.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

I think that Gilyard picks it up a little this year. Now that he's mostly learned at least one NFL playbook, it'll make it that much easier to learn the second. Similar plays and such will give him an easier time of learning. He's got a year of NFL experience now, so there are no excuses after this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=Goldenfleece;379441]Ease up, guys. He was a rookie, and we weren't exactly expecting him to be a polished recruit when we drafted him. It's a big learning curve to make the adjustment to the pros, and unlike last year, Gilyard and the rest will have a full off-season to study the playbook this time around. A fair amount of Avery's success his first year came from the times we just told him to "go long". Alexander got more playing time than Gilyard in 2010, but even he was used sparingly. Amendola wasn't exactly an instant success out of college either.

Problem is, the Rams have drafted Avery, Burton and Gilyard in the high rounds and NONE of them have even come close to giving them the type of production expected from a high selection, and it has cost the Rams dearly. Fans are understandably frustrated with our lack of playmakers at the receiver position and/or their collective inability to stay healthy. It is absolutely critical we get it right in the 2011 draft.

I have never been sympathetic to guys who can't master offensive terminology. It's about focus and concentration as well as repetition and drill. And if this is your career choice, there's REALLY no excuse. Gilyard couldn't even make an impact in the return game, which also speaks poorly for him.

Nonetheless, Gilyard will indeed be given a serious look given where he was selected and the dearth of other playmaking options currently on the roster.

MelloStang is offline Registered User

if he doesnt make the squad here but has talent some team somewhere will scoop him up even if its only practice squad first, get his foot in the door and keep working

MACD is offline Registered User

Oh I don't know...I think Sam will be much more comfortable and confident in a system more akin to OU's. Maybe he can REALLY help Gilyard too. Sam was learning a new system too last year, and may not have been able to help out like he can in a spread O. Anyway I hope that's so.

How many days 'til September?

Trevor is offline Registered User

Give him one more year to write him off, I think there are underlying issues that we don't know about..

Fastcat is offline Registered User

I think he will have a good year maybe even a breakout year becuase of his agility hence wes welker. Everyone thinks amendola will be that guy but he isn't agile or fast but he has excellent hands. Mcd has made every qb he has been around better than ever and also a receiver, welker and brandon llyod both had probowl years under him! Its mardys turn now

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Watching him on tape shows me he is as talented as any of the players we have at the moment, in terms of making people miss and gaining yards after the catch. The problem he's got is convincing the head coach that he can be counted on mentally on game day. Gibson had a similar problem early in the year, but got lucky through other players injuries and took his chance. It's good that we have a coach that is big on having all the little things top priority.
    Maybe now with Bradford showing he can stand up to the rigours of the NFL, both mentally and physically.
    Spags will loosen up a bit and give some of these players a chance to contribute?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Ding Ding Ding. Bingo.

Mardy Gilyard came from a spread offense in Cincinnati. Although I also was surprised why he wasn't able to learn even a simplified version of the playbook, I think he can still rebound and have success in Micky's semi-spread scheme.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast