Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chiguy
  • 1 Post By Randart
  • 1 Post By fearsome foursome

Thread: Most disappointing unit?

chiguy is offline Registered User

Most disappointing unit?

I've been a Sam supporter since he was drafted, but even I'm starting to have doubts that he can be the QB we want. But if we're talking about team performance, I still don't see how he can be seen as the "problem." This made me think about the following question -- which are the units that are not progressing/playing well, as that is probably where the "problems" are. My shot at listing them is below:

1. Offensive line. The most experienced group on the roster and one of the most highly paid. But there is no push in the running game and save the first two games, they haven't done much in pass protection either. JLong looked terrible last game...like REALLY terrible.

2. Linebackers. This was tough for me as WRs and CBs haven't performed up to snuff, but this group isn't getting the job done in the run or pass game. The d-line seems like they're doing what they're supposed to, but the LBs overrun the play and are susceptible to the cut-back. They don't shed tacklers. And, the coverage has been mediocre. JL hasn't looked good until the ***** game; Alex has been a bright spot, though he makes some rookie mistakes.

3. Running backs. Do we have any, or they victim of play calling and woeful blocking? I'm going with "all of the above."

4. Coaches. The unwillingness to adjust in game is perplexing. And at point are we going to emphasize 1) not running out of the end zone on kickoffs and 2) proper blocking. Seriously, the refs are not getting it wrong; we are. And why are our corners playing so soft? And so.

5. Special teams. K/P are fine. I'm sure everyone else is tired of starting drives behind the 10 yard line.

6. Secondary. Jenkins has been decent and so has Johnson. Everyone else? Meh. TJ and McCleod brings some wallop, but they also have issues with positioning. And Finnegan? He's been just terrible. And that was being generous.

7. WRs/TEs. There are good moments, but not enough. Given the youth of the unit, its somewhat understandable. But there are too many drops and an inability to get free.

8. Quarterback. He was fine the first two weeks, mediocre the third, and awful in the fourth. Most importantly, he's starting to look like he's losing confidence. Think Bugler at the end...its starting to look like that to me. Starting to.

9. Defensive line. We need more push, but they aren't the problem per se.
    Curly Horns likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Most disappointing unit?

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Offensive line. The most experienced group on the roster and one of the most highly paid. But there is no push in the running game and save the first two games, they haven't done much in pass protection either. JLong looked terrible last game...like REALLY terrible.
    For me, this is the most disappointing group. So much promise, but so little contribution. Any offense keys off it's OL, and that fact comes through loud and clear.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Quarterback. He was fine the first two weeks, mediocre the third, and awful in the fourth. Most importantly, he's starting to look like he's losing confidence. Think Bugler at the end...its starting to look like that to me. Starting to.
    No doubt it's starting to "look" that way, but we're only 4 games into the season, and IMO, he's only had 1 really bad game. As I've said before, if he looks like he did against the whiners next Sunday, I'll be worried.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Disappointing group?

Any one wearing a Rams uniform right now....

The NFL is won and lost in the trenches. It's always been about the o-line and d-lines. If you can't stop the run and control the LOS, and you can't run the ball. You won't win. Plain and simple. The Rams have been beating badly at the LOS all season long and if they don't find a way to win those one-on-one battles, they will not win another game. Right now, Jacksonville will handily beat the Rams...
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

That Rams unit that plays for the NFL. I went from super excited to "awe crap, here we go again". Special teams, offensive and defensive line, Lb's, corners, receivers, RB's, and now our QB. Untimely errors, silly drops, no coverage, no pass rush, no QB protection, no separation....its really not a unit thing but the team as a whole. Sorry if i'm venting but i couldn't believe what i was seeing thursday. I really hope it gets fixed and we don't fall into the gutter again this year. There was just too much promise for this team to go out and play the way we have. That youngest team in the NFL thing really bugs me because its supposed to work for us, not against us with the skill we have. Cmon Rams lets get it together. RAAAMS BAAABY!!!

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

What's really changed two things, The Defense, and the Running game. We have a new defensive coordinator, that's what's changed and he has the DB's playing soft coverage that's a major difference from last year. They're not in space to make plays. Then there's not aggressive RB like Steven Jackson to account for so now defenses are being really aggressive towards us. Now we're seeing who Bradford really is.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The most disappointing unit, as a function of expectations, is clearly the defensive line. With all due respect, i dont see how anyone could say that they are not really the problem right now and list them #9 on the list. The d line tied for the nfl lead in sacks last year. This was supposed to be a strength of the team. With the exception of quinn in spurts, we have had no functional pass rush at all and that is killing us. In addition, the d line is getting completely blown off the ball and we cant stop the run at all. Sure, the offensive line stinks, but that was a major concern for rams fans going into the season, especially with saffold being so injury prone and us knowing our depth was highly suspect. I defy anyone to find me a solid nfl defense that can not generate a pass rush or stop the run.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

1) Special teams with a guy like Austin we should be getting good field position.

2) Defense line, Brokers, Chris L, and Kendall Langford no shows.

3) Offense O line, J Long getting shredded at times. The whole line can not run block.

4) Defense CB playing so soft.

5) Offense TEs, Cook has disappeared and Kendrick blocking is horrible.

6) OC and QB both are putting the game plan together and so far it's been anything but advertised.

7) RB can't make a play out of nothing. Sometimes backs just have to do it on their own.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-30-2013 at 11:12 AM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm disappointed that our OC calls plays like a guy lacking a functioning unit.

Randart is offline Registered User

I am most disappointed in our coaches, a complete lack of understanding what it takes to change a non functioning game plan. Our line cannot hold out the oppositions front 7 and our backs and TE/hybrid WR's can't hope to block the aggressive LB's we have been facing. How is it I/We can sit here and see this but our coaches cannot??? I am aghast at their lack of ability to adjust to this and put in more blockers or guys with the ability to protect Sam. If it means less guys out in the pattern so be it! If you have to use linemen to be full backs and TE's to block for a pass play or a run you do it! Other coaches do it, why can't our coaches do this. When your backs and QB are gettting blown the heck up how can you not see what needs to be done??? Just WOW!
    fearsome foursome likes this.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

It has to be the coaches. Did all of our players suddenly get that far behind the rest of the league talentwise? They just are not performing to their talent level. The coaches are either not preparing the players to play or the scheme is so bad that the players don't have a chance. Mostly it's both. I miss Shurmers offense. He got more done with MUCH less talent on the field.
    laram0 likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

So let's see....

The offense stinks
    The defense stinks
    The special teams stink (Legatron almost missed that field goal Thursday night)

So,

Bad offense + Bad Defense + Bad Special teams = The coaching staff!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I got a dart board in my man cave--I'll just fling a dart and see what picture it hits--I'll get back with the results--since it doesn't really matter--there isn't much to hold up and cheer about at any phase of the ball

svh01 is offline Registered User

i'll put a positive spin on this & talk about our best unit, the cheerleaders.....

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The most disappointing unit, as a function of expectations, is clearly the defensive line. With all due respect, i dont see how anyone could say that they are not really the problem right now and list them #9 on the list. The d line tied for the nfl lead in sacks last year. This was supposed to be a strength of the team. With the exception of quinn in spurts, we have had no functional pass rush at all and that is killing us. In addition, the d line is getting completely blown off the ball and we cant stop the run at all. Sure, the offensive line stinks, but that was a major concern for rams fans going into the season, especially with saffold being so injury prone and us knowing our depth was highly suspect. I defy anyone to find me a solid nfl defense that can not generate a pass rush or stop the run.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    That's a fair point of view, I just see the games a little differently. I think that the d-line has been doing pretty well for what they've been asked to do -- generate a pass rush without blitzing and take up blockers so that the LBs can make the tackle. From what I'm seeing, every big run has been couple with an inability to shed blockers, bad angles, or overrunning the play...by the linebackers. Could our line play better? Yeah. But I don't see any obvious mistakes there like I do with the coaching, LBs, and secondary.