RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Most dominant pass catcher in the NFL - Torry Holt!

The most dominant pass catchers in the NFL

By Cris Collinsworth
    Special to NFL.com

(Oct. 19, 2006) -- A look at my top five wide receivers:

1. Torry Holt -- Rams
    As a rookie first-round draft pick in '99, Torry Holt had 788 receiving yards. That's not a bad total for a rookie and wouldn't be worth mentioning, except for the fact that it's the only time he's had less than 1,300 yards in his eight-year career, including two years of over 1,600 yards. On Sunday, he became the fastest player in league history to get to 10,000 receiving yards. He has averaged 101 catches over the last four years with a career high of 117 in 2003. The only thing missing from his resume is a huge touchdown year. His career high is a more than respectable 12, but with a league-high seven touchdowns so far this year, that may be next. Holt has no major flaws as a receiver. He has great speed and acceleration, runs good routes and can make spectacular catches, as anyone who saw his 67-yard touchdown against the Seahawks this weekend can tell you. He had a little trouble early in the year adjusting to Scott Linehan's new offense, but his 153-yard, three-touchdown game last weekend shows that he's up to speed and looks to be well on his way to his fifth Pro Bowl.

2. Steve Smith -- Panthers
    Steve Smith just wins football games. The Panthers started the season 0-2 when Smith was out with a hamstring injury, and they're 4-0 since his return. He was incredible against the Ravens last week with eight catches for 189 yards on the road against one of the best defenses in the league. His 72-yard, fourth-quarter touchdown catch effectively ended the game. He began his career as a Pro Bowl kickoff and punt returner and still plays with that punt returner mentality. His biggest weapon is his open-field running. Once he gets the ball in his hands, all bets are off. Whether it's on a reception, punt return or reverse, he's a threat to score any time he touches the ball. If you still aren't sold on Smith, just ask the Chicago Bears. He lit them up for 218 yards and two touchdowns on 14 catches in the playoffs last year. When a reporter asked NFL Defensive Player of the Year Brian Urlacher what happened in the game, he responded, "Steve Smith."

3. Marvin Harrison -- Colts
    Marvin Harrison makes playing wide receiver in the NFL look too easy. He catches everything thrown to him and runs his routes as if they were etched on the field. The most amazing thing is that he does it anonymously, without the elaborate celebrations or self-created drama that has become the hallmark of the wide receiver position. He doesn't get the attention of most of his contemporaries, but he does get the stats. Of all the records that he holds, and there are a lot, the most impressive is that he has averaged more than 92 catches per year in his 10 years in the NFL. There have been a lot of great receivers who never reached 92 catches once in their career. He has double-digit touchdowns and 1,000-plus receiving yards each of the last seven years. As if that wasn't enough, he also holds the single-season record with 143 catches, more than I had in my two best years combined.

4. Santana Moss -- Redskins
    Like Steve Smith, Santana Moss is a relative newcomer to the ranks of elite receivers, at least compared to Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt. He also joins Smith as the only receivers on this list under 6-feet tall. Come to think of it, Moss has a lot in common with Steve Smith. They both have breakaway speed, good hands and have shown the ability to take over games. His two touchdowns covering 109 yards in the last four minutes against the Cowboys last year was the regular-season equivalent of Smith's playoff performance against the Bears. I love his mental and physical toughness. He never backs down from any player or any situation.

5. Terrell Owens -- Cowboys
    Owens is the only big body on this list. He uses that big body to shield defenders from the ball and break tackles after the catch. He's almost impossible to bring down with a smaller corner and too fast to cover with a safety. He has to be double-covered off the line, which has created matchup problems for teams that also have to worry about Terry Glenn on the other side. I know that I have been critical of him throughout his career, but I am a huge fan of his preparation, his talent and his work ethic. The Cowboys are just now figuring out how to use him. I think he is most dangerous in the slot where he can use his big body and long arms to maintain rebound position on the defender and create easy throwing lanes for his quarterback. Unfortunately, he is also capable of destroying a team. There are people that I really respect in this league that have told me that he is the single worst player that they have ever been associated with. Guess which teams they play for.

----

Finally some love for Torry Holt, he is THE best WR in the NFL right now, no ifs or buts, he's the best.
    Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -10-20-2006 at 10:01 AM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Most dominant pass catcher in the NFL - Torry Holt!

Feel the love, rocognize the respect. Great rating for Torry by a former WR himself.

And you can't help thinking that Torry Holt is going to make some more Big Game plays this season, even perhaps a game winning TD or two -- if only the defense will support the lead.

Thanks RODenmark. GO TORRY HOLT!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: The most dominant pass catchers in the NFL

WOW! THATS A SHOCK! It's kinda funny like...now they realize he's the best? lol

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: The most dominant pass catchers in the NFL

Thank you Cris finnally some love for the top WR in Footie!! shame its took this long....

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

The thing I'm most thrilled about (and Collinsworth mentions it too) is that Torry is seriously putting up some TD numbers this year, he's always had the yardage, but he's lagged behind players like Moss, Owens, Harrison when it comes to TD's. Not anymore. I mean Steve Smith is mentioned by some as an MVP candidate this year (and last), I think if you do that you have to discuss Torry Holt too. He might have a shot at the honor if he continues anything like he started, it sure has been a while since anyone who's not a QB or RB has been named MVP. Who knows, time for that to change?

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

The nice thing about this article is that Holt is doing this in a new system. We all know Mike Martz is gone along with his offense genius. Roy Williams and John Kitna are having career years under Mad Mikes system. So, again having Torry stand out this season is extra special IMO.

bela is offline Registered User

about time he got some recognition, just wish it didn't take a career day against the seahawks to get people talking.

I swear, if all he did was play the hawks he had 30 TDs and 3000 yards every year...

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Torry Holt, best WR in the national football league,-has a nice ring to it doesn't it?
    Built RAM tough

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    Torry Holt, best WR in the national football league,-has a nice ring to it doesn't it?
    ...yeah because its true lol

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Torry Holt is obviously the best WR in the league right now, but stupid casual fans are too easily entertained by Chad Johnson types that they will never appreciate him, until he leaves the game of course.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I couldn't agree more. If I were a lady, I would definitely have Holt's baby.