general counsel is offline Registered User

Most dominant unit of all time

Not a ton to talk about these days that is not a repeat of stuff that we have already been discussing over and over.

What is the most dominant unit you ever saw on a football field? For sport, let's discuss the relative merits of the 2001 rams offense vs the 1985 bears defense (for those of us old enough to remember that bears unit).

Much as i hate to say it, while the 2001 rams were certainly as good as any offense in the history of the game, i am not sure if they were really any better than some of the recent patriots offenses (although we were more balanced) or the redskins offense that had the 500 point season. From a skill position perspective, the Rams of 1999-2001 had the greatest collection of talent ever. However, while the offensive line was good, it was not one of the all time great offensive lines, especially at the right tackle spot, which cost us big time in sb 36 when rod jones missed the huge block that led to an INT TD.

The 1985 bears, while possibly not the statistically most dominant defense in the history of the league (although close), were the most dominant unit i ever saw, especially when you take into account their performance in the 1985 playoffs and super bowl. That team had the best front 7 ever and i am not sure its even close. Their corners were average (nowhere near as good as the great steelers teams or the great rams defenses of the 70's), but that front seven was effectively unblockable. The scheme was new and while often copied after the fact, executed to the extreme. What people forget about that 1985 bears defense was that it was missing two starters all year who held out (al harris at linebacker and todd bell at safety).

Discuss.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Most dominant unit of all time

I'd put the 1976 Steelers defense up against the '85 Bears. Led by HOFers Mean Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Mel Blount, they allowed ony 28 points, TOTAL, the last 9 games of the season, with 5 shutouts. 8 of the players on that unit made the Pro Bowl. They didn't win the Super Bowl that year (Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier were injured in the AFC Championship game), but they were the most ferocious, dominant defense I ever saw. It's close, but I'll take the Steel Curtain.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

At age 39, the most dominant unit I saw personally in my football following years would have to be the Chicago bears defense of 85'.

Offensively, a toss up between the Rams circa 1999-2001 and as much as I really, really hate to say it, the Patriots of a couple seasons back.

Best special teams ever? The Rams of 2011 . . . . . . . . . .

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

For offense, I'd say an argument could be made for any of the GSOT Rams, the '07 Patriots, the '84 Dolphins, '11 Packers, '11 Saints, '04 Colts, '98 Vikings, '83 Redskins, '82 Chargers,

For defense, '02 Bucs, '00 Ravens, '86 Bears, '85 Bears, '78 Steelers, '78 Broncos, '77 Broncos, '77 Rams, '77 Falcons, '76 Steelers, '75 Steelers, '75 Rams, '71 Vikings, '71 Colts, '69 Vikings

Gun to my head I will say.....'07 Patriots for Offense, '76 Steelers for Defense; just too many to choose from. I will note though that any study of these dominant units will notice the shift after the '86 Bears (and an argument could be made for some of the late 80's and early 90's Giants D-units) that the dominance of the game shifted to the Offense. What the 70's were for Defense, the 00's were for offense.

So when does the pendulum swing back?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

The pendulum is not swinging back anytime soon because of the rule changes. Chicks dig the long ball.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The pendulum is not swinging back anytime soon because of the rule changes. Chicks dig the long ball.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Ah yes, but rules were made to be changed. They could always change again. Sadly, as your colorful colloquialism capably confirms, the fans do seem to enjoy the scoring of points rather than the stopping of points scored. Personally, I've always been partial to the Defensive side of the ball, but alas, I am in the minority.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

The 1985 bears, while possibly not the statistically most dominant defense in the history of the league (although close), were the most dominant unit i ever saw, especially when you take into account their performance in the 1985 playoffs and super bowl. That team had the best front 7 ever and i am not sure its even close. Their corners were average (nowhere near as good as the great steelers teams or the great rams defenses of the 70's), but that front seven was effectively unblockable. The scheme was new and while often copied after the fact, executed to the extreme. What people forget about that 1985 bears defense was that it was missing two starters all year who held out (al harris at linebacker and todd bell at safety).
    I saw both the 76 Steelers and the 1985 Bears, and I've got to agree the Bears were the most dominant I've ever seen. Not taking anything from the Steel Curtain, but man - those Bears really were BEASTS!!