View Poll Results: Which Cut Surprised You The Most?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Donnie Avery

    45 56.25%
  • Renardo Foster

    4 5.00%
  • Fendi Onobun

    0 0%
  • Daniel Muir

    6 7.50%
  • Zac Diles

    3 3.75%
  • George Selvie

    12 15.00%
  • Jonathan Nelson

    0 0%
  • Thadeus Lewis

    10 12.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Most Surprising Cut

  1. #16
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,424
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    let's face it, no one called Avery being cut. I can't help but wonder if the cut was somehow a little personal? Avery's tweet made out like he wanted to go and we all know that spags will open the door for you on your way out.
    I dunno about that, Mikhail. There was a lot of rash crapola being thrown around about who was a "lock' among the WRs. And after the Clayton signing, it got even less clear who was going to stay & I think it will remain fluid all season, including the possibility of Avery coming back if he doesn't sign elsewhere. Ditto for the DB & LB corps. There'll be a lot of tinkering in those areas all season,imo.

    Avery's being upset about the decision is normal, no? Never heard anything about an attitude issue there before. Besides, the man is going to make $600,000 + this year even if he doesn't play a down. Cry me a river.


  2. #17
    SavageRam's Avatar
    SavageRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    438
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    Avery was the most surprising cut to me, followed closely by Selvie being cut.

    The most disappointing cut (but not surprising) has to be Thad Lewis. We knew the Rams were going to keep only two QBs on the 53. Feeley played good enough to keep his #2 spot, but I still held out hope they'd change their mind and somehow fit Thad in after such a sparkling performance this preseason.
    Last edited by SavageRam; -09-04-2011 at 04:20 PM.

  3. #18
    mikhal5569's Avatar
    mikhal5569 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mass
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,102
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I dunno about that, Mikhail. There was a lot of rash crapola being thrown around about who was a "lock' among the WRs. And after the Clayton signing, it got even less clear who was going to stay & I think it will remain fluid all season, including the possibility of Avery coming back if he doesn't sign elsewhere. Ditto for the DB & LB corps. There'll be a lot of tinkering in those areas all season,imo.

    Avery's being upset about the decision is normal, no? Never heard anything about an attitude issue there before. Besides, the man is going to make $600,000 + this year even if he doesn't play a down. Cry me a river.
    I agree with everything you said. I was just speculating on his "tweet" not defending the man in any shape or form.

    I just like to play GM. I know my opinon doesn't mean squat to any of the big wigs in St.Louis, but that's how it should be they're the one's getting paid. Still, that won't stop me from voicing my displeasure.

    Speaking of which, I say more power to Avery bringing home the money, he deserves it after out playing Pettis and still getting cut.

    *Found this on Avery's contract

    Howard Balzer

    Have some news coming on Donnie Avery contract. Salary ($638,750) guaranteed this year, so Rams hoping he's claimed. Otherwise, they owe him that money and it counts against the cap. No offset. If he clears and then signerd, he gets double dip.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -09-04-2011 at 04:41 PM.

  4. #19
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,940
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    While none of the cuts upset me I was surprised by Avery. Muir would be next in line.

    I don't look at Lewis as a cut because I think he makes it to the practice squad. (fingers crossed)
    I think the Browns claimed Lewis didn't they? So he won't be on our practice squad.

    Biggest surprises:

    1) Avery

    2) Foster

    3) Lewis

    4) Selvie

  5. #20
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,424
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    I agree with everything you said. I was just speculating on his "tweet" not defending the man in any shape or form.

    I just like to play GM. I know my opinon doesn't mean squat to any of the big wigs in St.Louis, but that's how it should be they're the one's getting paid. Still, that won't stop me from voicing my displeasure.


    Speaking of which, I say more power to Avery bringing home the money, he deserves it after out playing Pettis and still getting cut.
    Don't misunderstand me, I'm sorry to see Avery go. I've always hoped he would get on track.

    We all love playing GM but, with all due respect, I think being upset about Avery vs Pettis is a fan reaction, not a big picture GM perspective, any more than Lewis getting knifed by The Turk was a Thad vs AJ thing specifically.

    We all love playing GM & here's my half-baked imitation: no GM,imo, would think a player who made a half million on IR last year deserves another fat wad this year for more of the same nothingness, esp when it costs his team critical cap space both times.If I were to guess on the actual either/or connection, I'd go with DeSpags gambling on both Clayton being a more reliably productive guy coming off a knee injury, not being as speed-dependent for impact, with a hedge that Avery will still be dangling if Clayton/MSW/Pettis/DX flop/break and give the organization an outside chance of getting some return on their 3 year investment in Donnie.

  6. #21
    Dwight Frye's Avatar
    Dwight Frye is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Age
    47
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    It would have to be Donnie

    and ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    a player who made a half million on IR last year deserves another fat wad this year for more of the same nothingness, esp when it costs his team critical cap space both times.If I were to guess on the actual either/or connection, I'd go with DeSpags gambling on both Clayton being a more reliably productive guy coming off a knee injury, not being as speed-dependent for impact, with a hedge that Avery will still be dangling if Clayton/MSW/Pettis/DX flop/break and give the organization an outside chance of getting some return on their 3 year investment in Donnie.
    How can anyone debate that? That's PERFECT logic imo....
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

  7. #22
    mikhal5569's Avatar
    mikhal5569 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mass
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,102
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    Once again, I agree with your point, but there is numerous scenarios that could have factored into the decision. I know your not being serious with your analysis, but I wouldn't go telling the players union that these guys are stealing money because they're getting paid once they get injured. (I'm paraphrasing for dramatic effect.) Either way, without Avery even getting injured the Rams still cut the man knowing that they would have to pay him, like you stated yourself, hoping that another team would pick him up and pay for his tab.

    My guess would be more along the lines of.
    The coaching staff inherited a player that they didn't like. (Could have been, financial or health reasons, being the most likely factors. Maybe he didn't fit a scheme or had a diva personality, the reasoning itself is a mute point because of all the unknown factors.) The team than drafts two more players who just happen to be wide receivers as well as a free agent wide receiver. (I'm leaving out a few things here, because I'm not going for historical accuracy.) Eventually when it came down to make roster cuts they choose to keep the players that they themselves acquired. Including a player that has had five surgeries on the same knee and a player who had one catch the entire preseason.

    Now are you telling me, that they kept their own two draft picks and the FA pick up over other players acquired up by a different regime had no bearing in the release of a former third and fourth round draft pick? It was all health related? All of these other FA that were acquired this year, most of which who are connected to the Rams current regime was just a coincidence as well? I understand about good "PR" and developing young players. The problem I have isn't with the release of Donnie Avery. It's when the organization begins to say one thing and do another. Where's the development of young players? Is it me or does there seem to be less young talent and more thirty something veterans? If they want to win now and get in some quick fixes fine, just say that.

    I get it. I really do. If I was a GM and just drafted a fourth rounder who has yet to do crap I would keep him too. You can't have the new owner thinking you don't know what your doing. In fairness, Pettis deserves the chance and the Rams need a healthy body.

  8. #23
    RamFan_Til_I_Die's Avatar
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,159
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    Lewis surprised me the most, because let's be honest, who in their right mind wants Feeley in charge of the Rams destiny if Bradford went down. Apperntly the F/O does, but Ihonestly don't see it. He's less accurate, less mobile, throws more interceptions, has reached his potential ceiling, and is much older. Lewis played nearly flawlessly in every preseason game he played in, and it still wasn't enough. I'm not advocating cutting Feeley and keeping Lewis, because Lewis has proven nothing in a real game against starters, but instead keeping both and getting rid of one of many receivers we kept...DX or Pettis for example. I won't be surprised in the slightest if Lewis sees some action and does well, later this year if Colt doesn't play well or gets hurt.
    live4ramin likes this.

  9. #24
    Dwight Frye's Avatar
    Dwight Frye is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Age
    47
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    Obviously Thad outplayed Feeley but as someone pointed out earlier, maybe this has more to do w/ Sammy liking A.J. 'in his ear'?

    I'm w/ ya tho, how can you say Thad isn't the better option if something did happen?

    God forbid ....
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

  10. #25
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,424
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    Once again, I agree with your point, but there is numerous scenarios that could have factored into the decision. I know your not being serious with your analysis, but I wouldn't go telling the players union that these guys are stealing money because they're getting paid once they get injured. (I'm paraphrasing for dramatic effect.) Either way, without Avery even getting injured the Rams still cut the man knowing that they would have to pay him, like you stated yourself, hoping that another team would pick him up and pay for his tab.

    My guess would be more along the lines of.
    The coaching staff inherited a player that they didn't like. (Could have been, financial or health reasons, being the most likely factors. Maybe he didn't fit a scheme or had a diva personality, the reasoning itself is a mute point because of all the unknown factors.) The team than drafts two more players who just happen to be wide receivers as well as a free agent wide receiver. (I'm leaving out a few things here, because I'm not going for historical accuracy.) Eventually when it came down to make roster cuts they choose to keep the players that they themselves acquired. Including a player that has had five surgeries on the same knee and a player who had one catch the entire preseason.

    Now are you telling me, that they kept their own two draft picks and the FA pick up over other players acquired up by a different regime had no bearing in the release of a former third and fourth round draft pick? It was all health related? All of these other FA that were acquired this year, most of which who are connected to the Rams current regime was just a coincidence as well? I understand about good "PR" and developing young players. The problem I have isn't with the release of Donnie Avery. It's when the organization begins to say one thing and do another. Where's the development of young players? Is it me or does there seem to be less young talent and more thirty something veterans? If they want to win now and get in some quick fixes fine, just say that.

    I get it. I really do. If I was a GM and just drafted a fourth rounder who has yet to do crap I would keep him too. You can't have the new owner thinking you don't know what your doing. In fairness, Pettis deserves the chance and the Rams need a healthy body.
    Of course, I think players deserve to be paid when hurt but it doesn't mean a GM can ignore the negative impact of dead money or not do what he can to minimize the damage/recoup the loss. I thought you were suggesting The Rams owed the money because they dissed him. I think that's unfair.Nor do I buy the idea that they would cut a player whom they thought would, all things including money considered, help the team more just to keep from looking bad to a new owner.

    No doubt Avery was drafted for a different offense. So was Gilyard.That really is the bottom line,imo.

    I don't think it is at all true that The Rams aren't developing young players & at key spots. Anyway, don't all teams have a mix? Many holes & finite resources made the many short term deals a necessary evil, imo. Nothing a few competitive years & astute drafting for the same system won't fix.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-05-2011 at 06:47 AM.

  11. #26
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,806
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    Avery was on the bubble with Alexander and Gilyard, so I wasn't that surprised to see him cut. I think the bigger surprise was Muir, who was signed as a free agent only recently to help upgrade weak personnel at the DT position. But it would seem as if that weak personnel has beaten him out for a roster spot.

  12. #27
    supachump is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    san fran
    Age
    45
    Posts
    707
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    Avery by a mile.

  13. #28
    dgr828's Avatar
    dgr828 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    THE GOLDEN STATE
    Posts
    1,917
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    Maybe Donnie Avery wasn't quite heeled from his latest and often injuried career. It's still a surprise #17 was cut, thought he would get just one more shot. Oh well, he was Linny's boy anyways!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  14. #29
    badmoforamfan's Avatar
    badmoforamfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Most Surprising Cut

    Aside from Danny A.; who left in the WR core is under 6ft? Just saying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: -09-30-2010, 11:22 PM
  2. Most Surprising Rams Stat
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: -10-18-2009, 05:33 PM
  3. Surprising Rams begin difficult stretch
    By RamFan_Til_I_Die in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -10-13-2006, 12:44 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: -03-21-2006, 06:47 PM
  5. Some Surprising Pessimism From A Confirmed Optimist
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: -11-02-2005, 12:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •