Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Is Mr. Boa our future O line?

Mark Setterstrom (OG)
    Richie Incognito (OG)
    Brett Romberg (C)
    Orlando Pace (OT)
    Alex Barron (OT)

Is this the Rams' O line of the future? Right now, they are making a case for being just that. Sure, Barron still needs to work on the false starts, Richie needs to keep under control and Romberg needs to hit the weight room in the offseason. But the Paceless version of Mr. Boa has done well in the past few weeks. The youth and athleticism of the interior linemen seems to be a plus for a team that has had old (Timmerman, McCollum) or relatively fat and slow (Terrell) players in these spots.

If this is the O line for 2007, that's a big plus going into the offseason. It would mean that the starting offense is essentially set (#3 WR may be the only spot to fill if Curtis signs elsewhere), and the FO can focus in FA and the draft on the defense and return game.

Thoughts?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Is Mr. Boa our future O line?

I don't see anyone beating out Orlando Pace for the starting job, they do make a strong case, but I'd be surprised.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I don't see anyone beating out Orlando Pace for the starting job, they do make a strong case, but I'd be surprised.
    Did you not actually read my post, Varg, or is it just that you've had too much egg nog (much like Grandma prior to her run-in with the reindeer).

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

We just gotta keep these young guys together and playing. A lot of success O-Lines have is based on them being together for a long time and knowing each others tendencies. Look at the San Diego Chargers line. About 5 years ago that line was put together with a bunch of rejects. Now their one of the best lines in the league.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Did you not actually read my post, Varg, or is it just that you've had too much egg nog (much like Grandma prior to her run-in with the reindeer).
    Hehe, sorry...I kinda skimmed. Been doing stuff around the house for xmas, and still trying to read some posts

But anyways...It would be nice to put our full attention to just the defense, but I honestly haven't seen enough of this line right now to be this trustworthy of it already. I say we get either an FA or get a 1st day O-lineman. I'd love to just stick with these guys because they have been doing well, but I just still have my doubts as of right now.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambos is offline Registered User

Mark Setterstrom (OG)
    Richie Incognito (OG)
    Brett Romberg (C)
    Orlando Pace (OT)
    Alex Barron (OT)

I think this is it, if one or both of the donut bro's come back thats fine, but lets stay young.

general counsel is offline Registered User

what i really love about it is the depth if timmerman and mccollum return. I would like to have steussie and goldberg back as well for depth. I think that is a very very solid young O line with lots of vet backups if needed. What had been a weakness could become a big strength of this team, and if bulger gets time to throw and jackson some room to run, we are going to see a LOT more performances like we saw yesterday.

At the very minimum, NO WAY am i either using a pick in round one or two let alone spending big money in free agency on a guard or center and lord knows we dont need a tackle, just need to keep coxing baron along.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Daspeerman is offline Registered User

See .... Now i disagree with this. I would use at least a 2nd rounder , or pay big bucks for a premier FA center. I believe this has been a weak spot for our line for a long time ,Andy was serviceable but never great, preferably a 3-4 year vet , to be the leader for our two young guards. An anchor to lead from the middle.
    DASPEERMAN!!!!!!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave intending on arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in hand, body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

general counsel is offline Registered User

I hear you dasperman, but you cant have an all star everywhere and its a question of choices in the cap era. Look at what lebentley charles got last year, about 12.5 mill up front. how can we pay all that money for a center when we need to resign bulger and are so desparate on defense. Its a luxery item we cant afford. We have absolutely nothing that remotely resembles a pass rush at defensive end and our defensive tackles are like a parting red sea against the run. That is where the cash has to get spent.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I hear you dasperman, but you cant have an all star everywhere and its a question of choices in the cap era. Look at what lebentley charles got last year, about 12.5 mill up front. how can we pay all that money for a center when we need to resign bulger and are so desparate on defense. Its a luxery item we cant afford. We have absolutely nothing that remotely resembles a pass rush at defensive end and our defensive tackles are like a parting red sea against the run. That is where the cash has to get spent.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I agree 100% with your post, although I thought you were saying a week or two ago that Kennedy was doing an alright job this year?

I have been surprised this year by how well Setterstrom and Romberg have played (I had high hopes for Incognito all along). We should keep the young guys in there and look to the doughnut brothers for depth next year I think. Earlier this year before the emergence of the young guns I saw guard as a major weakness for us and something we should probably spend a high draft pick on next year, I'm glad to say that's not the case anymore, we can look towards defense for at least the first 3 rounds it seems now, and boy do we ever need it...DT, DE, MLB would be my list of needs right now, prioritized.

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

To bad we lost Parker to the Packers. Would have been another young guy for depth. Look for late round guys, just like Parker and Stetterstrom (7th rd).
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Mark Setterstrom (OG)
    Richie Incognito (OG)
    Brett Romberg (C)
    Orlando Pace (OT)
    Alex Barron (OT)

Is this the Rams' O line of the future? Right now, they are making a case for being just that. Sure, Barron still needs to work on the false starts, Richie needs to keep under control and Romberg needs to hit the weight room in the offseason. But the Paceless version of Mr. Boa has done well in the past few weeks. The youth and athleticism of the interior linemen seems to be a plus for a team that has had old (Timmerman, McCollum) or relatively fat and slow (Terrell) players in these spots.

If this is the O line for 2007, that's a big plus going into the offseason. It would mean that the starting offense is essentially set (#3 WR may be the only spot to fill if Curtis signs elsewhere), and the FO can focus in FA and the draft on the defense and return game.

Thoughts?
    I'm not yet sold on Romberg as a long-term option at center. He looks servicable against a 4 man line, but I have to wonder about his physical capacity against a 320# nose tackle who would line up right over him. Av mentioned he needs more time in the weigth room, but at this point in his career I believe what you see is what you're gonna get. I view him more as a stop-gap player rather than permanent fixture; the kind of guy you're always looking to replace.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    At the very minimum, NO WAY am i either using a pick in round one or two let alone spending big money in free agency on a guard or center and lord knows we dont need a tackle, just need to keep coxing baron along.
    I disagree. I don't think a few solid games by the offensive line changes the fact that this area has been a problem for years now, including much of this season. I think we'd be making a big mistake by once again not addressing the offensive line simply because we think we've got a combination that we feel good about.

Personally, I would go out and sign a free agent offensive lineman to man one of our interior line spots (probably a LG like Eric Steinbach, Vince Manuwai, Kris Dielman, Derrick Dockery) and then have our younger players compete for the remaining two interior starting positions. Worst case scenario, we have much needed depth in the group in case of injury.

I also wouldn't be opposed to drafting a center from round three on, simply because I haven't seen enough of Romberg in two starts to feel like we've locked ourselves down there.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Mark Setterstrom (OG)
    Richie Incognito (OG)
    Brett Romberg (C)
    Orlando Pace (OT)
    Alex Barron (OT)

Is this the Rams' O line of the future?
    Mr Boa is out...we need Rambo!
    Richie Incognito (OG)
    Alex Barron (OT)
    Mark Setterstrom (OG)
    Brett Romberg (C)
    Orlando Pace (OT)

But seriously I would love to see how these guys do together against playoff caliber teams. I have a good feeling we will be finding out.

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Mr Boa is out...we need Rambo!
    Richie Incognito (OG)
    Alex Barron (OT)
    Mark Setterstrom (OG)
    Brett Romberg (C)
    Orlando Pace (OT)

But seriously I would love to see how these guys do together against playoff caliber teams. I have a good feeling we will be finding out.
    RAMBO! Man, how did I miss that one?

Mr. Boa would put the squeeze on opposing defenses, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast