Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Jackson

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Mr. Jackson

Talk is cheap and almost every year you make a bold prediction and fall short. How about keeping your pie hole shut this year and focus on being a team player.

I am a big fan of SJAX but not his mouth.

Go Rams

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Re: Mr. Jackson

I liked hearing from him that he recognizes that the Rams have made the changes that will help keep those big legs churning and that jaw from flapping. I also was pleased to hear that he has changed his personal regimen to protect against these soft tissue injuries by raising his body fat a bit.

Fatherhood may also help him mature into the exemplary offensive leader we need him to be.

I look forward to seeing many roll-the-dice TD celebrations this season.

schut39 is offline Registered User

I don't mind him setting goals for himself. He obviously has the playmaking ability to get to what he says. He just has to worry about injuries. Sometimes he just gets a little over confident.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Are you talking about a recent comment or things he has said in years past?
    I'm confused.
    But i like the cockiness. Outside of sjax and Atogwe, the team doesn't really have any swagger.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Jackson certainly does his share of talking, but I really do think it's a matter of confidence and exuberance as opposed to cockiness. I've never had too much of a problem with what he has to say, although IMO he should probably tone down the "I still think I am the best" rhetoric until he has the consistent numbers to back it up. That said, he usually prefaces his comments with qualifiers like "it's only an opinion", and more importantly, he includes the team concept along with mentioning the need for support from his teammates when making a point about his abilities or expectations.

Jackson is going to talk, there's just no getting around that, but as long as he doesn't announce he's changing his name to "tres nueve", I'll be fine with it. By the way, I agree with Jackson in his assesment of who the best back in the NFL is.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I only have to complain about him saying he is the best. Until he proves that he is the number one back in the NFL, that comment should be made...

However, without Jackson, we are a terrible team. So he is a wonderful player to have here. I hope he has an outstanding season, injury free.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I really have no problem with SJax saying he's the best running back in the NFL. I feel the exact same way. I can understand the sentiments of those that do not like him saying these things. It really can go either way ...

I do have a problem with the continual comments about how Jackson needs to shut up. Listen to his radio show once or twice and you'll see that this kid loves living life, loves competition. You will also see that he is speaks very intelligent, very politely, and is very open minded. Why this is a crime I will never understand ...

He's going to have to stay healthy to cement himself as the absolute best in the mind of others. But no back in the league combines the set of skills that Jackson has. He has the "potential" to be one of the best ever. When he is focused and healthy, I don't think there is a more dominant or explosive runner in the league ...

All I hear when I hear Jackson talk is a running back that knows he has skills that sets him above the rest. I love his lofty goals, I love the fact that he wants to prove himself. If Jackson meets his goals, we could be extremely dangerous. I don't see how this is selfish ...

I really think this is the year he puts it all together. He should easily go over 2000 total yards if healthy in this offense ...

I say keep the swagger, it is much needed on this young squad ...
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -05-04-2009 at 07:00 PM.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

In his opinion, he's the best RB in the NFL. Nothing wrong with the guy believing in himself.

dvbear55 is offline Registered User

He can be cocky if he wants: he is one of the greatest runners in the NFL. He's just happy that now he has a solidified line and a blocking fullback in front of him.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Talk is cheap and almost every year you make a bold prediction and fall short. How about keeping your pie hole shut this year and focus on being a team player.

I am a big fan of SJAX but not his mouth.

Go Rams
    And every year some of you complain about him being confident. It's rediculous, the guy gets asked a question and responds. I guess he should give the whole "I'm a team player". "I will take it one day at a time". "I'm just happy to be here." SCREW that. I want him to be himself. If you didnt hear his interview a few weeks back on the Colin Cowherd show it is a must listen. He is everything Infiniti said and more. He is such a good kid yet according to some of you should never speak his mind. Yet when Bulger doesnt say anything you people slam him. Which is it should these two shut up or not im confused. Bulger opens his mouth, he should shut up, he shuts up and people scream he should be more outspoken. Jackson plays 100 percent when on the field. Even in the game he got hurt when he should have been on the sideline he was giving his all. I like it that Jackson is confident and cocky at least he shows emotion on and off the field.
    Just Fix It

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

"They've also made decisions in the draft and free agency to help me out"

"That's the biggest thing. You just don't want to throw it all on one guy, and don't give him anything to work with. I think in free agency and the draft, the things that needed to be addressed were addressed.'"

Though it might look that way, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said he's not trying to build the offense around Jackson.

"I would never build it around one person," Spagnuolo said. "He's certainly a big part of it, but it is a team thing. I'm a firm believer that in order to win in this league, you have to have good linemen, and that's offensively and defensively. It just so happens we got two offensive guys."
    Coming from a recent article posted on this site a couple of days ago, I think this highlights a difference of opinion over where the emphasis should lie.

I know who I'd sympathise with.

I've never been enamoured with Jackson when he starts tooting his own horn. There are a lot of backs out there with rings and statistics who, if they had a mind, could make the same claims as regards being the best but somehow don't.

If he really is the best then he needs to show us a little more and tell us a little less.

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    And every year some of you complain about him being confident. It's rediculous, the guy gets asked a question and responds. I guess he should give the whole "I'm a team player". "I will take it one day at a time". "I'm just happy to be here." SCREW that. I want him to be himself. If you didnt hear his interview a few weeks back on the Colin Cowherd show it is a must listen. He is everything Infiniti said and more. He is such a good kid yet according to some of you should never speak his mind. Yet when Bulger doesnt say anything you people slam him. Which is it should these two shut up or not im confused. Bulger opens his mouth, he should shut up, he shuts up and people scream he should be more outspoken. Jackson plays 100 percent when on the field. Even in the game he got hurt when he should have been on the sideline he was giving his all. I like it that Jackson is confident and cocky at least he shows emotion on and off the field.
    I guess when you say you guys since I am being quoted I must assume your including me?

WHOW

I guess I am not capable of speaking for myself???

I must of complained about Jackson being too confident and then I guess I am the one of those guys who attacks Bulger????

On a serious note Most of the feedback on Jackson was very positive and I have to agree with 100%.

QUESTION: How can you listen to SJAX radio show?

GO RAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    Coming from a recent article posted on this site a couple of days ago, I think this highlights a difference of opinion over where the emphasis should lie.

I've never been enamoured with Jackson when he starts tooting his own horn. There are a lot of backs out there with rings and statistics who, if they had a mind, could make the same claims as regards being the best but somehow don't.

If he really is the best then he needs to show us a little more and tell us a little less.
    Maybe Jackson should have said help me and Marc out because he's being honest. He's saying everything everyone on this board has been saying. We needed guys on the o-line to help Bulger and Jackson. When Jackson says it himself he's being selfish? I'm glad he's confident and thinks he's the best. I agree if he stays healthy he can be the best. A couple of years ago without injury he had a rediculous season. 90 catches for 806 yds and over 1500 yds rushing on a team we could all agree had a pretty sub-par o-line. We all know he needed help up front, so whats wrong with him saying they went out and got me help up front? They do block for him right? Their two main jobs are blocking for Marc and Steven right? So he's being selfish and not a team player when he says they got me help come on. This once again is nothing more than nit picking at the guy. I just can't figure out some of you guys. We have something good but some of you just try and find some of the smallest things to try and bang on the guy.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post

I agree 100%.

we are not picking on him rammiser. I'm a Jackson fan and I am hoping he will mature.

Rammiser you talk about confidence. IMHO Guys who truly have confidence do not need to talk ie.... Faulk, LT, Peyton, and the list can go on and on.

Go Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    I agree 100%.

we are not picking on him rammiser. I'm a Jackson fan and I am hoping he will mature.

Rammiser you talk about confidence. IMHO Guys who truly have confidence do not need to talk ie.... Faulk, LT, Peyton, and the list can go on and on.

Go Rams
    Steven Jackson didnt call a press conference to declare himself the best running back in the NFL. He was asked to do an interview and he answered questions. I remember before the Rams lost to the Patriots in the Superbowl Warner was asked what he would like to do as a pro and he said win 5 Superbowls because no qb has ever done that. Does that make Warner selfish and boastful? I just think that people are very hard on Jackson for no reason. Clinton Portis does a lot of talking, is he selfish? Wide reciever Steve Smith does a ton of talking is he selfish? I mean for every quiet superstar you give me I can find a guy who does a lot of talking. Jackson does no where near the talking that either of the two I just mentioned do yet he gets chastized for opening his mouth. You both say you like Jackson but nitpick his everyword. It's an interview and most of it is probably out of context anyway.

Maybe I'm over reacting to you guys but it happens everytime Jackson says or does something people jump him right away. When he missed part of voluntary workout people were up in arms before they even knew why. Turns out his girlfriend was giving birth. Most of this I think is because he is following Faulk and people just dislike him. I'm not saying you but for some it seems that way. I mean what did Jackson say that is so bad in that interview? Was it that they brought people in to block for me? Sounds like he is just stating a fact because they did bring in people to block for him. I'd hate to see the guy really do something wrong I bet he'd get run out of town.
    Just Fix It

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast