laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Multiple Runningbacks

Alot of teams in the NFL have approached the running game with 2 or 3 decent if not solid runningbacks. Times have changed but we haven't. As we all know we have an absolute STUD in Steven Jackson but that's it, period.

The question in my mind is how important is it to have at least one other decent if not solid back behind SJ?

With all the holes in our team how high on the priority list is this issue?

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Re: Multiple Runningbacks

That's very high because as a franchise you want to keep fans in the seat. So in order to extend Steven Jackson's career by a couple of year or so, they need to get two more solid backs.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think it's important and our FO and coaches realize it, but we just haven't found that guy to steadily back up Jackson. We've had short bursts of solid play from some, but no one has stuck around enough to lock down the spot. I expect us to make a move for someone this off season, because Jackson simply can't be taking as many carries as he has been if we expect him to be around in three years.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I think a #2 RB is important, but not because of fans in the seats.

The team is being designed as a solid defensive team with a power run game to control possession and kill the clock when in the lead. If this is attained, fans will naturally be in the seats cause that is what winning does. If SJ runs down or gets injured, then the plan suffers.

SJ is our best, and almost only weapon, on offense. A proven or high probability of being good RB behind SJ insures against stalling the running game should SJ get hurt and provides breathing time for the big man.

As for current importance, I'd put it as the #2 or #3 priority behind DT and possibly QB.

I posted earlier that I thought a deal should be pursued for Micheal Bush in Oakland. He'd fit the bill in my opinion and OAK has Fargas and McFadden eating salary and playing time.
    Semper Fi!

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

it's up there but there are definitely other needs. qb, dt, de, rt, te, and a couple of lb.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

You could fill the backup RB position pretty easily with a 5th round draft pick and a lower tier free agent. With a team having so many holes, you basically are relegated to filling gaps everywhere and hoping those gap fillers turn into something better than expected down the line. For example a Noel Devine? Maybe a McCluster falls because he's so small? Michael Smith of Arkansas in the 6th round? Getting one of these guys doesn't have to be more of a priority, it's just that they need better talent behind SJ.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Great point. I've been wanting us to go in that direction for a few years now. The teams that win in the playoffs have great running games. Even Arizona with Kurt Warner's passing wouldn't be as successful without Tim Hightower or Beanie Wells running well.

I'm not sure how we address it draft-wise or FA, but we need to do it this off-season. At one point I thought Jonathan Dwyer (GA Tech) might be a good pick, but he looked awful in the Orange Bowl.

Go Rams!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Hmm. I figure Chris Ogby will figure into the mix. He's got some good potential. I'm guessing we'll probably use a late round pick who can rotate with Ogby as the back-up running back.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

It is very important- and he needs to do several things well; one, pick up 2-3 yards in short yardage situations when teams key on Jackson. Two, block and pick up blitzes well in the passing game. And three, spell Jackson effectively for short stretches while he rests.

We are not talking about a 1000 yard rusher here, just a good, solid, dependable guy- and the longevity of Jackson's career depends on it.