Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dr. Defense

Thread: My .02

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

My .02

So I have refrained from any knee jerk reactions this season, just sitting back and watching as everyone posts ideas that range from super logical to crazy insane and everything in between. After Monday night's game I finally decided that it's my turn to say whats on my mind in no particular order:

1) We have Steven Jackson. USE HIM. He's the best player on the team, RUN HIM. I never thought I would say that I wish that Shurmer was OC.

2) That being said, I have a gut feeling Steve Jackson will not be on the team next year. Some HC is going to come in and gut the team, which means that we need money and picks. Trading Steven Jackson gets both. I do NOT want to see him traded at all, but that's what my gut is telling me.

3) Watching the Seattle game was so hard. It was impossible not to flinch watching that offense out on the field. It was like watching someone smoke in a bomb factory.....it can only end in disaster.

4) Sam needs to be benched. Not because he is terrible and not the future of the franchise. But because he is clearly hurt, we are going no where this season, these remaining games mean nothing, and there is no benefit to him playing. We save him if he rides the bench or we destroy him if we play. That's a pretty simple answer if you ask me.

5) There is NO WAY that we are drafting Luck. So anyone who thinks that needs to get it out of their head. To draft him is going to take a MINIMUM of this years 1st, next years 1st, this years 2nd, probably a 3rd thrown in somewhere and a player. Basically it's going to make the Ricky Williams trade look like a joke. I am not willing to trade all that, just to draft another QB that will fail because we can't build a team around him.

6) I really really really wanted Spags to be a good head coach, but it's just not working out. I like the team he is building and the system (on defense), but his inability to manage a game or the clock is absurd. The play calling on offense also needs to be called into question. As HC he has ultimate control over it. Why are we playing so conservatively when we have nothing to lose by going for it? He will be released at the end of the season. Who will take over I do not know

7) NO BIG NAME COACHES WILL SIGN HERE. PERIOD. END OF STORY. Bill Coher doesn't want to come here and fix a giant mess like this. None of these retired guys want to come out to fix us. And for those of you who say we'll pay them out of retirement? Don't you think that they got paid enough as HC's and are making more then enough right now as commentators/analysists? There is zero motivation for them to come here.

8) Billy will get ONE more year. But it will be a very hot year. I do not blame him for the free agent signings. This team had more holes than the Titanic when he got here. This team has been destroyed by the FA of years past. The contracts were terrible and hampered this team. We couldn't throw around the money that other teams were because we had it tied up in contracts. Billy fixed that. This year will be the first year that the books are going to be clean. As a result, I expect an aggressive off season, targeting the players that we have always watched other teams sign. He does need to step up his drafting though. Things are starting to get better, but are still questionable. One more screw up year and he gets shown the door fast.

9) Talking about FA, this team hasn't had it easy. We never have gone after the A quality guy, instead choosing to go after 3 B quality guys. Some people agree, some disagree. I personally agree. When you have as many holes as this team did, you need to upgrade them all. It's much easier to quickly move every group from an overall C to B, then take one group and go from a C to an A+. And as far as FA goes for this past year, the class was small and overpaid. There was not much talent out there, but it commanded top dollar.

10) This team is going to be imploded by the next coach. Particulary the offense. I think the defense (pending healthy) is one DT and an OLB away from being really good. The offense on the other hand needs to go. Saffold is confusing me on which player he really is, Bell is just over-payed and doesn't produce, as much as I like him Brown hasn't been producing (I am not sure if his heart is in it 100%. I'd love to see him come back and play like he did last year), Dahl is good, Smith is either getting cut or re-structuring his deal. We simply can't afford to pay him like an elite LT when he is a flip-flopping RT. As far as the WR go, I expect us to address that in the draft and FA. I only expect Alexander, Amendola, Salas, and Pettis to remain with the team.

11) I am giving this years team some breaks. We have just been rediciously unlucky in terms of the health department. Want to know how bad? 10 corners on IR, 3 OL on IR, 1/3 of the active roster wasn't in camp with us, the OL has played with 6 different combinations in the past 8 weeks.

12) Spags did one thing right unquestionably. He built a solid defense. This defense has yet to quit on him or this team. They are always running around the ball and swarming it. If it weren't for the decimation of the secondary, I think they would be a really good unit. I am not sure if he would or not, but I would LOVE to see Spags back as the DC. This is some of the best defense we have been playing in a long time.

Thats all for now. I'll post more as I think of them
    MoonJoe and GolfnRAMFAN like this.

RockinRam is online now Registered User

Re: My .02

First off, solid post. Second, if you want to voice an opinion, just voice it man. Sometimes knee jerk reactions are the most real reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    So I have refrained from any knee jerk reactions this season, just sitting back and watching as everyone posts ideas that range from super logical to crazy insane and everything in between. After Monday night's game I finally decided that it's my turn to say whats on my mind in no particular order:

1) We have Steven Jackson. USE HIM. He's the best player on the team, RUN HIM. I never thought I would say that I wish that Shurmer was OC.
    We definitely need to run him, but run him differently. We aren't correctly utilizing him right now. It's either the wrong time to run or we run it once too many times, or we choose to pass instead of rush.

2) That being said, I have a gut feeling Steve Jackson will not be on the team next year. Some HC is going to come in and gut the team, which means that we need money and picks. Trading Steven Jackson gets both. I do NOT want to see him traded at all, but that's what my gut is telling me.
    I would not mind one bit if I saw him on another team, granted he WANTS to be on another team. I have immense pity for him, and wish that he could taste success sometime in his closely diminishing career.

3) Watching the Seattle game was so hard. It was impossible not to flinch watching that offense out on the field. It was like watching someone smoke in a bomb factory.....it can only end in disaster.
    Our offense is bad. Everyone on this offense, coach included, are to blame.

4) Sam needs to be benched. Not because he is terrible and not the future of the franchise. But because he is clearly hurt, we are going no where this season, these remaining games mean nothing, and there is no benefit to him playing. We save him if he rides the bench or we destroy him if we play. That's a pretty simple answer if you ask me.
    I agree that he shouldn't have played last night. But I am sure he chose to, but I did not see any willpower or passion from him to lead the offense to any sort of production. He needs to do a better job in being a leader.

5) There is NO WAY that we are drafting Luck. So anyone who thinks that needs to get it out of their head. To draft him is going to take a MINIMUM of this years 1st, next years 1st, this years 2nd, probably a 3rd thrown in somewhere and a player. Basically it's going to make the Ricky Williams trade look like a joke. I am not willing to trade all that, just to draft another QB that will fail because we can't build a team around him.
    Of course not, the Colts will probably end up grabbing him and cause a huge dilemma between Manning, Luck and the organization.

6) I really really really wanted Spags to be a good head coach, but it's just not working out. I like the team he is building and the system (on defense), but his inability to manage a game or the clock is absurd. The play calling on offense also needs to be called into question. As HC he has ultimate control over it. Why are we playing so conservatively when we have nothing to lose by going for it? He will be released at the end of the season. Who will take over I do not know
    I like Spags as a defensive coordinator, because I think he's a good teacher. However, being a good teacher doesn't make someone a good head coach. You need much much more than that, and he just doesn't have that, yet.

7) NO BIG NAME COACHES WILL SIGN HERE. PERIOD. END OF STORY. Bill Coher doesn't want to come here and fix a giant mess like this. None of these retired guys want to come out to fix us. And for those of you who say we'll pay them out of retirement? Don't you think that they got paid enough as HC's and are making more then enough right now as commentators/analysists? There is zero motivation for them to come here.
    It's unlikely, but we'll see.

8) Billy will get ONE more year. But it will be a very hot year. I do not blame him for the free agent signings. This team had more holes than the Titanic when he got here. This team has been destroyed by the FA of years past. The contracts were terrible and hampered this team. We couldn't throw around the money that other teams were because we had it tied up in contracts. Billy fixed that. This year will be the first year that the books are going to be clean. As a result, I expect an aggressive off season, targeting the players that we have always watched other teams sign. He does need to step up his drafting though. Things are starting to get better, but are still questionable. One more screw up year and he gets shown the door fast.
    He might, he might not. It won't surprise me if he's gone, but it won't surprise me if he's not.

9) Talking about FA, this team hasn't had it easy. We never have gone after the A quality guy, instead choosing to go after 3 B quality guys. Some people agree, some disagree. I personally agree. When you have as many holes as this team did, you need to upgrade them all. It's much easier to quickly move every group from an overall C to B, then take one group and go from a C to an A+. And as far as FA goes for this past year, the class was small and overpaid. There was not much talent out there, but it commanded top dollar.
    There are many FA signings I do not agree with. Sorry, but we disagree on this part.

10) This team is going to be imploded by the next coach. Particulary the offense. I think the defense (pending healthy) is one DT and an OLB away from being really good. The offense on the other hand needs to go. Saffold is confusing me on which player he really is, Bell is just over-payed and doesn't produce, as much as I like him Brown hasn't been producing (I am not sure if his heart is in it 100%. I'd love to see him come back and play like he did last year), Dahl is good, Smith is either getting cut or re-structuring his deal. We simply can't afford to pay him like an elite LT when he is a flip-flopping RT. As far as the WR go, I expect us to address that in the draft and FA. I only expect Alexander, Amendola, Salas, and Pettis to remain with the team.
    Yes, our defense is only a few players away from being solid.

Jason Brown will not be back. He should not be playing football anymore. And I say that with absolutely no animosity whatsoever. His heart is no longer in it.
    Jason Smith should come back. I still have some faith in him, but he needs to move back to the left side.
    Jacob Bell has actually been one of our better linemen.

11) I am giving this years team some breaks. We have just been rediciously unlucky in terms of the health department. Want to know how bad? 10 corners on IR, 3 OL on IR, 1/3 of the active roster wasn't in camp with us, the OL has played with 6 different combinations in the past 8 weeks.
    We have been decimated by injuries, but it's the coach's job to prepare the next guy in line for the game. And that means cut Justin King.

12) Spags did one thing right unquestionably. He built a solid defense. This defense has yet to quit on him or this team. They are always running around the ball and swarming it. If it weren't for the decimation of the secondary, I think they would be a really good unit. I am not sure if he would or not, but I would LOVE to see Spags back as the DC. This is some of the best defense we have been playing in a long time.
    I love our defense, and we would win games if not for our offense. That's why I hate that rubbish saying that goes like "defense wins games." No, defense does not win games. You win points by scoring, and that's on the offense. And our offense sucks.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think the lack of continuity that this Rams team has had if evident and consistent all the way up to the coaching staff.....

bradwill is offline Registered User

Generally agree, except for this part:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Devaney has really saddled this team with salary cap hell. He's the guy who signed:
    Jacob Bell: 6 yrs/36mil, 13mil guaranteed
    Jason Brown: 5yrs/37mil, 20mil guaranteed. By far the biggest contract for a center in NFL history
    Both Bell and Brown have been colossal flops in terms of performance vs. contract. At least Bell is done after this season.
    James Butler: 4yrs/14mil. Has been a total scrub since Day 1 with the Rams and is 3rd string.
    Jason smith: 6yrs/61(!!)mil, 36mil guaranteed. Even when healthy, he's barely average.

That 3 of these 4 signings happen to be on the now awful OL and the Rams will be eating the Smith and Brown contracts for quite a while means Devaney just swapped out past contract nightmares for those he has now created himself, and left an OL that needs a drastic overhaul.

Between his terrible FA signings/contracts and ignoring the WR position(along with LB) until the Football Gods dumped Brandon Lloyd out of the blue into his lap, Devaney hasn't been much of an upgrade from Zyggy's incompetence before him.
    Last edited by bradwill; -12-14-2011 at 12:51 PM.