Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

My 2006 Plan for Adam Archuleta

I would slap the transition tag on him.

Basically, for those who aren't familiar with it, the transition tag would allow the Rams the ability to match any free agent offer Archuleta would receive. If Arch does not get an offer, then it basically means that the Rams have given him a one-year contract for a salary equal to the average of the ten highest paid safety contracts.

Think of it as the Franchise Tag Lite, and by Lite, I mean the tender offer is for less money and the Rams would not receive any draft compensation should Arch go elsewhere.

But this would allow Archuleta to explore the market and see what he's worth, and should he get an offer, we could decide to match it and keep Arch under that contract. It would ensure the Rams the ability to allow Archuleta to find a market value without risking losing him. Losing him would be our choice, should we not wish to match the offer he gets.

The reason I'd prefer to do this rather than resign him before free agency begins is simply because I don't think Archuleta is going to get a huge free agent offer, considering his video resumé for this season will include him whiffing on such tackles as the Koren Robinson reverse and the Michael Hicks touchdown run. And even if he did get a big offer, we'd still have the luxury of deciding to match it or not.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamJackson39 Guest

Re: My 2006 Plan for Adam Archuleta

Thats a good thought. I still think that Arch is a great player. I just want to see him playing closer to the line like he did in 03'.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I like the idea too. I would love to keep Archuleta at a bargain price and see if he can come back renewed and a 100% healthy, which I do not believe he has been this year.

sprtsmac Guest

Nick, thats a very good idea and its safe for the Rams. I would hate to see the Rams offer an outrageous contract to Arch as I feel he doens't deserve it and this way they could see what the market will be for Arch. I just hope the Rams front office do the smart thing.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    The reason I'd prefer to do this rather than resign him before free agency begins is simply because I don't think Archuleta is going to get a huge free agent offer, considering his video resumé for this season will include him whiffing on such tackles as the Koren Robinson reverse and the Michael Hicks touchdown run. And even if he did get a big offer, we'd still have the luxury of deciding to match it or not.
    Given that video resume why would you want the Rams to re-sign him? He's never been able to cover anybody. NEVER. Furrey in a half of a season has as many interceptions as Arch does for his career. He used to be a good tackler but this season has shown he's a liability there now too. Look, he's a true linebacker who's too small to play linebacker in the NFL. Rams fans need to let go as far as Archuleta goes. I'd only consider keeping him if played for next to nothing on special teams. The Rams defense is weak and he's one of the reasons.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    If Arch does not get an offer, then it basically means that the Rams have given him a one-year contract for a salary equal to the average of the ten highest paid safety contracts.
    The average of the ten highest paid safeties in the NFL I assume would make him one of the top 5 paid safeties in the league for that year. I would be interested in knowing the dollars before doing the deal. I have serious concerns about Arch in coverage I agree with most that he is better around the line of scrimmage but I would rather see our safeties next year be good in coverage. We are going to have either a lot of young guys or new guys in the secondary next year along with a new D coordinator and scheme. Because of that I would like two safeties in the backfield that can cover.

Interesting thought but I would want to know the cap hit and what else we might be able to acquire via free agency for the same or less dollars.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -12-27-2005 at 12:20 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    Interesting thought but I would want to know the cap hit and what else we might be able to acquire via free agency for the same or less dollars.
    According to the NFLPA's website, which provides salary info for all active players, the average of the ten highest salaries for safeties in 2006 is a little over $3 million.

However, keep in mind the transition tag is not final. It would not keep the Rams from shopping on the open market. To my knowledge, they can remove the tag at any time, and Archuleta becomes a free agent and the tender offer is off the table.

This is win-win for the Rams.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Tony Soprano Guest

Interesting plan with little downside!

In regard to his play:
    Why do I think the staff will not be interested in keeping Archuleta around? He had a niche when he was a terror in RUN D, but with his back limiting his RUN D and his terrible coverage skills, I think Archuleta better be prepared to play elsewhere. He should consider any tag a compliment.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont think he is terrible, but i could never call him a great player since he is lousy in pass coverage. furthermore, hoping for a return to his prior years is very tough to see given his injury history. i dont mind keeping him, but the price has to be right. i dont want future cap liability associated with him so for short money, he is fine.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

He's very inadequate in the passing game. I still can't get over the Jets game last year when the ball was literally thrown right at him on the Rams goal line and he dropped the ball.

Arch can leave. No transition tag, no franchise tag, maybe a blue light special tag.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree, to see AA leave is fine with me. We need a better all around player at his position.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

the average of the ten highest salaries for safeties in 2006 is a little over $3 million.
    I'm curious about the timing of the tag offer. If we tag him (ie. make a $3 Mil offer), what's to stop him from taking that offer immediately and not waiting to see what offers come from other teams?

I think some team will offer too much for him, but not $3M too much! If I were him and a $3M, 1 year, guarantee was placed in front of me, I'd jump on it before the ink got dry.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

While this idea makes some good sense, one thing really worries me.

What are the chances that he'll "Turley" us?

Seriously, after last year's back injury, there is a chance that he may re-injure his back sometime after the offer is made, and if it is a bad enough injury, no one else will want him. If he then gets cut while tagged, won't we be responsible for honoring the terms and still pay him? Then where will we be? 3 Million less to spend on a needed position. Or would he be paid if he's injured before the season?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I don't know. Arch has been blowing coverages and missing tackles for his entire career. He has made a few big plays, but not enough, in my opinion.

He is not a very good tackler and never has been. He has been a big hitter at times, but never a sound fundamental sure tackler.

Now he is being held together by strings and barbed wire.

I say let him go and look for a fresh body that excels at tackling.

RamJackson39 Guest

I find the tackling comments very funny. He is one of the leaders on this team in tackles. Yes, he does need to work on it, but he has not been 100% this season. He has been played out of position by Marmie. Does anyone remember why he was a beast in the Run D? Because Lovie played him close to the line, there he was a beast.

Also, TX, you bring up the Jets game. What about the Bucs game? If Arch doesnt make that AMAZING play, then the Rams dont even have a shot in the Jets game. We lose to the Bucs and can kiss our season goodbye. Arch basically saved our season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast