Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: My 2006 Plan for Adam Archuleta

Wasn't that a fumble recovery though? I just turned 42, so my memory cells are starting to lose their effectiveness.

:tongue:

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

It was more like a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. He took the ball away from him and ran for the TD.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, I guess I'm not losing as many brain functionality as I thought. lol

However, that sort of validates my point. Archuleta still is extremely suspect in the passing game, and this year his tackling skills became somewhat suspect.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I'm curious about the timing of the tag offer. If we tag him (ie. make a $3 Mil offer), what's to stop him from taking that offer immediately and not waiting to see what offers come from other teams?
    As far as I know, the Rams can cut him without penalty. Since it's a one-year deal with no bonus money, the Rams can release Arch and get rid of the salary whenever they want to, I believe, without having to worry about any kind of cap hit. That's one of the benefits of the tag, especially if the Rams want to look at other safety prospects. It allows them the right of first refusal in case Arch gets an offer, and also means they have a back-up plan in case they can't sign someone else.

Also, because this is a one-year deal for $3 million, Arch may want to talk to other teams and try to get a longer-term deal with more guaranteed money. He may not find a team willing to pay him $3 million in his first season, but it's very conceivable he could find a team willing to pay him much more than $3 million over a four year deal or something.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

As for being one of the leaders on this team in tackles, so what, the team has a collection of guys that cant tackle to save their lives. He has missed plenty, more than he has made. To justify the first round status of the pick, he has to much more than a guy who can make stops when he plays up in the box.

Most important to me is his physical deterioration. what makes anyone think that he will EVER return to 100% health? He has a back problem that is not going to improve over time. He is lousy in pass coverage and always has been. He is a linebacker at heart, he is never going to be a strong cover safety.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to allocation of cap dollars. If a team has the available money to sign him and let him play up near the line on running downs only, he is a good guy if you want to take the health risk. However, with all of our needs, i dont see how we can pay $3 million a year of cap money for him, it makes no sense to me. he doesnt do enough things and he is too risky.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    As far as I know, the Rams can cut him without penalty. Since it's a one-year deal with no bonus money, the Rams can release Arch and get rid of the salary whenever they want to, I believe, without having to worry about any kind of cap hit. That's one of the benefits of the tag, especially if the Rams want to look at other safety prospects. It allows them the right of first refusal in case Arch gets an offer, and also means they have a back-up plan in case they can't sign someone else.

Also, because this is a one-year deal for $3 million, Arch may want to talk to other teams and try to get a longer-term deal with more guaranteed money. He may not find a team willing to pay him $3 million in his first season, but it's very conceivable he could find a team willing to pay him much more than $3 million over a four year deal or something.
    Well then....I don't see what it could hurt. It's kind of like our little insurance policy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

I for one dont think that Arch will be greedy! I think he loves the game of football! He hasnt been used in the right way IMPO! I think that if the Rams showed him that they were willing to get back too the playoffs. that he would play for alot less than people would think! I dont believe he's greedy!

general counsel is offline Registered User

i dont think he is greedy either, but i dont think its greedy to do whats best for yourself and your family, especially when your career span is so short. if the rams were offering him money that was close, i would think he might stay, but i think someone is going to give him a lot more than he will and i dont see any reason that he should leave several million dollars on the table to accomodate the rams.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    i dont think he is greedy either, but i dont think its greedy to do whats best for yourself and your family, especially when your career span is so short. if the rams were offering him money that was close, i would think he might stay, but i think someone is going to give him a lot more than he will and i dont see any reason that he should leave several million dollars on the table to accomodate the rams.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    True but, do you think that there is anyone out there as said earlier that would give Arch a multi million dollar contract?

adarian_too is offline Registered User

You guys are hilarious. Reward him with any kind of contract offer? He can gather his plyometrics, throw in his two 1st round buddies, and take the next slow boat to China.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I don't think Archuleta is going to get a huge free agent offer, considering his video resumé for this season will include him whiffing on such tackles as the Koren Robinson reverse and the Michael Hicks touchdown run. And even if he did get a big offer, we'd still have the luxury of deciding to match it or not.
    Totally agree with you, except that one of his worst (if not the worst game) was against the giants. That shockey TD was an horrendous cover by him

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I say if the price is right, resign him. We need all the depth we can get in the secondary. At the least he's on special teams.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    As for being one of the leaders on this team in tackles, so what, the team has a collection of guys that cant tackle to save their lives. He has missed plenty, more than he has made. To justify the first round status of the pick, he has to much more than a guy who can make stops when he plays up in the box.

Most important to me is his physical deterioration. what makes anyone think that he will EVER return to 100% health? He has a back problem that is not going to improve over time. He is lousy in pass coverage and always has been. He is a linebacker at heart, he is never going to be a strong cover safety.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to allocation of cap dollars. If a team has the available money to sign him and let him play up near the line on running downs only, he is a good guy if you want to take the health risk. However, with all of our needs, i dont see how we can pay $3 million a year of cap money for him, it makes no sense to me. he doesnt do enough things and he is too risky.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I would agree with GC here. I don't see how he'll ever be more than a box SS playing close to the line of scrimmage, his numbers over the last 4 years will bear that out. I think he's still a competitor and I don't see a lack of 'want to' from him but I think his injuries have taken a toll and have reduced his effectiveness.

His strength used to be his tackling, would anyone give him that now?

Looking at the overall state of our D I'm not sure that we can afford to bring him back, we have too many holes now to play him the role to which he's best suited. I'd like to sign him at the right price but I think he'll get a better offer elsewhere and jump.

I just think we can get better value at the position that seeking to resign him to a long term deal or tagging him. We have to start again at both safety positions.

Let's move on and let him move on too.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    True but, do you think that there is anyone out there as said earlier that would give Arch a multi million dollar contract?
    Somebody will. This is a weak class of FA safeties. They're all either too old, or too bad. Arch is on a short list of FA safeties that have proven results and are still young. He'll spend a lot of time getting checked out by doctors, but if his back proves to be healthy, somebody will make him a higher offer than the Rams would.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I don't really like the idea. What if no one offers him a contract? He isn't even a top 20 safety imo he would be way overpaid.
    RamsFan16

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast