View Poll Results: Would you Approve the Rams hiring Rob Ryan?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 22.73%
  • No

34 77.27%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: My Case for Rob Ryan as the next Rams Head Coach

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Re: My Case for Rob Ryan as the next Rams Head Coach

Bob Stoops anyone? When was the last time, if ever, had a qb been reunited with his former college head coach? Furthermore, whatever the price may be for Cowher, I believe Stan is prepared to make the offer.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

For those interested...

Just read a long article on Rex + Rob posted earlier this year by SI.com. It was an awesome article, very well written.

Heres some snippets from I took from it:

"People don't think anybody talks more trash than Rex," says Jim Ryan, the third brother, a St. Louis lawyer who is six years older than the twins, "but they don't know Rob."
    This is the St. Louis connection I mentioned in my other thread. I knew I heard that the Ryans had connections to St. Louis back when we were recruiting Rex to possibly be our next HC, and I just found it while reading this article. FWIW.

"There are so many coaches in the NFL who say one thing to the media and another behind closed doors," says Pool, the Jets' safety, who also played under Rob in Cleveland. "Guys don't want to play for phonies. We want to play for coaches like the Ryans. I don't know why the rest of the league hasn't figured that out yet. Maybe they aren't smart enough."
    Like I said at the beginning of this post, players gravitate towards these types of coaches. From the mouth of an NFL player right there.

Rob engenders such affection in the Cowboys' locker room that a player who knew him for only three weeks offered to put him on the Jill Lane nutrition program for the next six months, picking up the tab for a diet that Rob says will cost $16,000.
    Not much to really say about this other than he must really be well-liked.

Many of his friends don't know why he started growing it in the first place. When his daughter, Dimitra, was in elementary school, one of her classmates was diagnosed with cancer and lost her hair while undergoing chemotherapy treatments. Dimitra told Rob that the girl wore a wig donated by the nonprofit organization Locks of Love. Then Jim Ryan's son, James, was diagnosed with cancer at 14 and also underwent chemo. Rob grows out his hair every year, cuts it off, donates it to Locks of Love and starts again.
    Good guy.
    Fettmaster and Tampa_Ram like this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Many of his friends don't know why he started growing it in the first place. When his daughter, Dimitra, was in elementary school, one of her classmates was diagnosed with cancer and lost her hair while undergoing chemotherapy treatments. Dimitra told Rob that the girl wore a wig donated by the nonprofit organization Locks of Love. Then Jim Ryan's son, James, was diagnosed with cancer at 14 and also underwent chemo. Rob grows out his hair every year, cuts it off, donates it to Locks of Love and starts again..
    Nice, that shows dedication.

I don't really understand the argument that Ryan is not a good coach because he talks trash and is fierce and hot headed. IMO, players love these coaches. Let's get real, we are dealing with grown men here. Men, especially athletes, love to talk trash whether it be friendly or mocking. It's just how the majority of the male species works, and when it comes to sports, trash talking is abundant.

Personally, I'd love to see a coach that trash talks but has a winning mentality to coach our team. The mentality at Rams Park would certainly change drastically.
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Nice, that shows dedication.

I don't really understand the argument that Ryan is not a good coach because he talks trash and is fierce and hot headed. IMO, players love these coaches. Let's get real, we are dealing with grown men here. Men, especially athletes, love to talk trash whether it be friendly or mocking. It's just how the majority of the male species works, and when it comes to sports, trash talking is abundant.

Personally, I'd love to see a coach that trash talks but has a winning mentality to coach our team. The mentality at Rams Park would certainly change drastically.
    Exactly! I couldn't have put it any better. I think he is going to succeed somewhere, which is why I am really hoping its here in St Louis.

I have been all for a former HC, but just don't see it being feasible like I said. I also would like to address that by saying that I don't view Ryan as a "consolation" prize to those other guys. In fact, part of me would rather have him over Jeff Fisher.
    Tampa_Ram and RockinRam like this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Ive never been a fan of Fisher, dont know why just not a fan.

If you want me to be honest, i could care less if its a former HC or a current coordinator. As long as they have some fight in them and can rally this team and bring us some wins ill be happy.

I'd be fine with Ryan coming in here if he did things right. I like Billick as well. I like Martz but highly doubt thats happening again.

Only time shall tell.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    I'll tell you what, Ill take back to back Championship games over top 5 picks every year.

Call me crazy.
    You obviously don't understand. We are currently in the process of eliminating coaching prospects who won't win enough Super Bowls with the Rams. Making the playoffs isn't important, winning playoff games isn't important we are worried about Super Bowls.

Defensive minded head coaches don't know offenses so they must be eliminated from contention.
    Offensive minded head coaches don't know defenses so they must be eliminated from contention.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Let's get Tim Tebow as our coach. All he does is win. : )

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Voted no ... to many questions and to think he will emulate his brother is foolish ... i dont even like Rex anyways.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Well, I tell my big brother to F-off all the time, maybe I should throw my name into the hat?

I don't understand the "a coach must show emotion to be a good coach" theory. I've had both types of coaches in my life and I'll tell you, give me the calm, controlled manager over the yelling & screaming "look at me" types.

I want a coach that is in control when a situation gets tense, not some guy who's veins are popping out of his head because things aren't going his team's way. Now that's not saying they can't display some emotion with a good play or big hit, on the contrary, I like that. But I personally wouldn't go after any of the Ryan boys. Too much drama queen, not enough substance.
    Agrajag likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Well, I tell my big brother to F-off all the time, maybe I should throw my name into the hat?

I don't understand the "a coach must show emotion to be a good coach" theory. I've had both types of coaches in my life and I'll tell you, give me the calm, controlled manager over the yelling & screaming "look at me" types.

I want a coach that is in control when a situation gets tense, not some guy who's veins are popping out of his head because things aren't going his team's way. Now that's not saying they can't display some emotion with a good play or big hit, on the contrary, I like that. But I personally wouldn't go after any of the Ryan boys. Too much drama queen, not enough substance.
    For me, when i say i rather have a coach with some emotion, it doesnt just include on the field antics. he doesnt need to yell all the time or be a "look at me" type of guy. Jim Schwartz shows emotion, like Harbough, Sparanno etc.

I just want a coach with some life in him unlike Linehan and Spags. People in coma's show more emotion then Spags.

If someones playing horrible he needs to pull them aside and let them know there not pulling there wight, even sit them if needed(like King). If people make bone headed play over and over or cause the same penalties over and over get stern with them, yell if they dont get the message, let them know they are screwing everything up for the team. they dont need to yell and be loud all the time, just when its needed.

P.A.S.S.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Getting Rob Ryan is just as big of a gamble as keeping Spags and hoping for a healthier roster...Its gunna take time for Ryan to implement his 3-4

But i will approve of it thou because we need tenacity on this team!

It would be quite the change going from a coach who has so little confidence in his players he is willing to take a field goal over a touchdown with plenty of time left on the clock to score, and who knees out the clock... To someone who is extremely confident in his players no matter their talent level...

Give me the guy with confidence over the loser with no confidence.
    RockinRam likes this.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

I can't stand Rob Ryan.

Maybe I'm jaded due to my hatred for the Cowgirls, but every time I see that eccentric flamer screaming at the refs, I'm usually thinking what the heck? I've already seen the replay, yell at your own players! And I laugh when he spends a time out throwing his flag down temper tantrum style because I know it just cost the cowgirls a timeout.

He really doesn't know how to run an offense any more than Spagnuolo and with what I'm seeing right now with the epic FAIL from McDaniels, I don't want to see another coach jump in who can do no more than put his hands in his pockets and shrug when things go wrong.

Finally I really don't care how much that long hair help his situation with the cowgirls in the locker room, that attention ***** needs to cut that **** off.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    Finally I really don't care how much that long hair help his situation with the cowgirls in the locker room, that attention ***** needs to cut that **** off.
    Funny you should mention that...Also from the article I read on SI.com

Rob runs his fingers through his hair, a process that takes several seconds. "Look, if I have to cut it to become an NFL head coach, then I'll cut it," he says. "But I'll be pissed about it."
    There ya go.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I'd rather have a guy that has his mind and emotions tuned in to the game. If something good happens, he's fist bumping, high-fiving, chest bumping everyone. And when we do consistently bad, he calls people out, holds people accountable. When a penalty goes badly our way, he's yelling at the refs, making himself known as the guy who won't take $h!t.

I'm a solid people observer and I study how people think and act and react, and with coaches, it's all about their frame.

What is their frame? The impression and vibe they give to people around them. When you have a no nonsense coach that does not take $h!t from the media, refs, other coaches, you have a guy that you can look up to, a guy that you know can stand up for himself, your team, and the franchise. And when you believe you have a coach like that, players tend to play like how their coaches act, and in this case, it's aggressive, hard nosed, slam 'em in their faces football.

When the Rams do something good on offense or defense, the camera pans to Spags, and what do I see? Nothing. He just stands there with no emotion. It really bugs the hell out of me. Where is the passion? Where is the fire? I know you're only 5'6 Steve Spaguolo but there's got to be SOME inner testosterone-fueled emotionally charged passion inside of that small body.

Give people a damn high-five or a pat on the back for God's sake. Feed off that positive energy! Sheesh.
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast