View Poll Results: Would you Approve the Rams hiring Rob Ryan?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 22.73%
  • No

34 77.27%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: My Case for Rob Ryan as the next Rams Head Coach

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: My Case for Rob Ryan as the next Rams Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I'd rather have a guy that has his mind and emotions tuned in to the game. If something good happens, he's fist bumping, high-fiving, chest bumping everyone. And when we do consistently bad, he calls people out, holds people accountable. When a penalty goes badly our way, he's yelling at the refs, making himself known as the guy who won't take $h!t.

I'm a solid people observer and I study how people think and act and react, and with coaches, it's all about their frame.

What is their frame? The impression and vibe they give to people around them. When you have a no nonsense coach that does not take $h!t from the media, refs, other coaches, you have a guy that you can look up to, a guy that you know can stand up for himself, your team, and the franchise. And when you believe you have a coach like that, players tend to play like how their coaches act, and in this case, it's aggressive, hard nosed, slam 'em in their faces football.

When the Rams do something good on offense or defense, the camera pans to Spags, and what do I see? Nothing. He just stands there with no emotion. It really bugs the hell out of me. Where is the passion? Where is the fire? I know you're only 5'6 Steve Spaguolo but there's got to be SOME inner testosterone-fueled emotionally charged passion inside of that small body.

Give people a damn high-five or a pat on the back for God's sake. Feed off that positive energy! Sheesh.
    Right on brother!!!

Whenever we see spags 75% of the time hes bent over with his hands on his knees. the rest of the time hes a mannequin.

Your from Mass., i thought everyone from there was loud and outspoken? come on Spags show some fire for once. Your a great guy and i wish your were our DC, but as a HC your fail. Time to bring someone in the team can rally around and fight for them.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

And thats why Im actually considering Ryan here. His passion and fire is unbelievable. I'd LOVE to see somebody screw something up and go up to him after the play. We need someone like that. But the 3-4 could be a dangerous switch. Why do it? Chris Long just broke out with 12 sacks, why fix something thats not broken? How will Quinn change? We dont even have a NT, and that by far is the most important piece in a 3-4, so unless we draft a NT or sign one even though the best available will be Aubrayo Franklin, I say no.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    And thats why Im actually considering Ryan here. His passion and fire is unbelievable. I'd LOVE to see somebody screw something up and go up to him after the play. We need someone like that. But the 3-4 could be a dangerous switch. Why do it? Chris Long just broke out with 12 sacks, why fix something thats not broken? How will Quinn change? We dont even have a NT, and that by far is the most important piece in a 3-4, so unless we draft a NT or sign one even though the best available will be Aubrayo Franklin, I say no.
    One thing to keep in mind regarding a team switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4....The Houston Texans who were the worst ranked defense in the NFL last year, hired Wade Phillips to be their DC. Switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4...in a shortened offseason mind you, and are now the top defense in the league.

Also, the way it appears to me is that all of the NFLs top defenses are 3-4. Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston, etc. Those top 3 defenses are all 3-4, so just as a football fan I also think it would be awesome to see the Rams run a 3-4.

But like you said which I agree the 3-4 transition could be risky, but in the end I think could have a nice payout for us.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

We need swag, attitude, and change so i wouldnt be mad if he came here. He would bring everything we are lacking. I heard on a show a few weeks ago that the number 1 thing a hc needs to be is a leader of men. You can be the best offensive or defensive mind ever known to football but if you cant lead men you cant be a good hc. That being said rob looks to part. And as far as defense, we are the worst team against the run (maybe in ram history... Maybe even nfl history) so we cant get much worst. So bring on the 3-4.

And is spags really 5'6? If so he's lacking the little man syndrome.... He should be tearing da sidelines up.
    THOLTFAN81 and RockinRam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind regarding a team switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4....The Houston Texans who were the worst ranked defense in the NFL last year, hired Wade Phillips to be their DC. Switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4...in a shortened offseason mind you, and are now the top defense in the league.

Also, the way it appears to me is that all of the NFLs top defenses are 3-4. Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston, etc. Those top 3 defenses are all 3-4, so just as a football fan I also think it would be awesome to see the Rams run a 3-4.

But like you said which I agree the 3-4 transition could be risky, but in the end I think could have a nice payout for us.
    Its true. I've thought that too. I think if we can find a quality NT we can make the switch. Long and Quinn seem real scary at OLB. Im just not so sure because that would mean were only using 3 defensive lineman and 4 linebackers. And at this points, I'd like to think our 4th defensive lineman would be better than our 4th linebacker.

If we can find some quality pieces in the draft (Dont'a Hightower at ILB or Burfict in round 2) after we take Blackmon Im assuming.

In FA we can take a NT like Aubrayo Franklin and maybe a DE to pair with Franklin and Bannan.

If we can find some quality pieces in the draft (Dont'a Hightower at ILB or Burfict in round 2) after we take Blackmon Im assuming.

In FA we can take a NT like Aubrayo Franklin and maybe a DE to pair with Franklin and Bannan.
    All for this plan. Rob Ryan, with a switch to the 3-4 could bring on a Rams attitude the likes of which we've never seen.

Another tidbit, that I think you will like from that SI article:

Rob finally scored his upset in 2000, chosen over more pedigreed candidates to be the Patriots' linebackers coach after an interview in which he spent six hours scrawling coverages on a grease board for Bill Belichick.
    This guy deserves the opportunity to be a Head Coach, and like I said I am hoping it is with us as I feel we will reap the rewards.

I found the snippet I had been looking for these last few days.

This was posted by Jim Thomas after we decided to Hire Spags, and Rex went to the NYJ.

Nonetheless, coaching the Rams would have been intriguing.

“It was tough because my brother (Jim) lives in St. Louis,” Ryan said. “I’m a Midwestern guy and all that. But at the end of the day, what was best for me and my family was that I felt the (Jets) owner believed in me. I think that was important.”
    I think this quote will mean that Rob will be particularly interested in the Rams job if we are interested in him. Also, we play the Jets next season. They hyped up the Harbaugh bowl all off-season... Imagine the attention the Ryan Bowl would get? The Rams could use some attention.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

viper is offline Registered User

When I first saw this poll, my thoughts were not too hip on the idea. Probably due to the epic failures that we have been through with recent coordinators as our HC. But, after reading this entire thread, I have to say that I would be willing to give Ryan a shot. I do think that we could use some emotion around here. I think the players would feed off of that.

I have felt for a long time that our front four have not been able to get consistent pressure on opposing QB's. This forces us time and time again to blitz leaving our backsides vulnerable too often. I've been hoping for years that we could go to a 3-4 defense that is designed to get more pressure on the QB. Every time the subject comes up, it is dismissed as if it would be unthinkable here, because we don't have the personnel. Well, I'm here to say, then we will go get the personnel. It has been done before and it can be done here. I would absolutely love that compared to the lack of pass rush that we have been living with for most of this decade.

So yeah, give me some Rob Ryan and his defense and his fiery sideline emotions. Throw in a little McD as our offensive coordinator and we just might have the recipe for something special here in Ram nation. A defense that can get pressure on the opposing QB and a balls to the wall offense that keeps our opponents off balance. That might just be the ticket.

This assumes that we can't get one of the big name former head coach's to come to St. Louis, of course.

Go Rams!!!
    Last edited by viper; -12-08-2011 at 09:26 PM.

I actually like the idea. Rob will eat you alive if you make a dumb play, something we've almost never had. Im only worried about our offense. They are so bad its almost unbelievable. Our defense is fine, but could be taken to the top with a switch to a 3-4. I think if we do, we have to make some moves and we can make the transition. I think if we make the switch, we must pursure 2 players that could be dominant forces for us on the line; one that already plays in a 3-4 and one that could make the transition, both being divisional rivals: Calais Campbell the DE for the Cardinals, who is a monster at DE in the 3-4, the other being Red Bryant, DE/NT from the Seahawks. Bryant weighs 350 lbs. He could play NT while Bannan and Robbins/Darell Scott play the other DE spot. We'd have one of the best LB cores in the league with Quinn, Laurinaitis, and Long.

Some other players we must pursue on the defensive line because Campbell and Bryant will most likely be re-upped. We must go after NT Aubrayo Franklin. He will not be retained by the Saints so we have an opportunity to get a NT that was a top 5 just last year.

We should go after another NT Shaun Rogers. He and Franklin both play for the Saints. They needed to fix up their run game, and its worked. For years Rogers was the best NT in the league.

Dan Connor is a LB that we must go after to pair with Laurinaitis. He`s stepped in for the injured Jon Beason and has done a solid job.

I think we should end up with something like:

Bartell |Murphy | Mikell | Stewart | Fletcher

Quinn | Laurinaitis |Connor | Long

Bannan | Rogers | Franklin
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -12-08-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quinn and Long are athletic enough to play OLB, but they are better suited and have more potential as 4-3 DE's. I know we probably wouldn't put them in pass coverage much often, but having each occasionally in the flats and curl zones is something we can't afford to waste their talent on.

I'd accept the move for Rob Ryan, I'd love to add his "fire" to this team as I've always agreed with a few on this forum, Rob is the type of coach this team needs. However, I'm not going all in for the guy. Let's wait til the off-season to see who truly are contenders and pretenders as potential head coaches.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

No Thank You. Being someone who live about an hour and a half from Philly I remember how much a blowhard Daddy Buddy Ryan was. And he was so arrogant it was the ONLY time I actually HATED the Eagles.And what did his arrogance ever accomplish?? 0 wins in the playoffs. The one playoff loss I take great pleasure in remembering was the '89 wildcard game in which our Rams went to Philly and sent them home on their own turf after a whole week of Buddy shooting his mouth off saying the Rams had no chance and that they were gonna run all over us. Rexy is a complete flashback a big mouth with nothing to show for it. It works the first couple years and then the players start wondering when the parade is gonna happen. So , no thanks to blowhard #3.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Rob Ryan ... next Rams HC. Hmm, sorry, I just don't know; couldn't vote yes or no.

I actually like the idea. Rob will eat you alive if you make a dumb play, something we've almost never had. Im only worried about our offense. They are so bad its almost unbelievable. Our defense is fine, but could be taken to the top with a switch to a 3-4. I think if we do, we have to make some moves and we can make the transition. I think if we make the switch, we must pursure 2 players that could be dominant forces for us on the line; one that already plays in a 3-4 and one that could make the transition, both being divisional rivals: Calais Campbell the DE for the Cardinals, who is a monster at DE in the 3-4, the other being Red Bryant, DE/NT from the Seahawks. Bryant weighs 350 lbs. He could play NT while Bannan and Robbins/Darell Scott play the other DE spot. We'd have one of the best LB cores in the league with Quinn, Laurinaitis, and Long.

Some other players we must pursue on the defensive line because Campbell and Bryant will most likely be re-upped. We must go after NT Aubrayo Franklin. He will not be retained by the Saints so we have an opportunity to get a NT that was a top 5 just last year.

We should go after another NT Shaun Rogers. He and Franklin both play for the Saints. They needed to fix up their run game, and its worked. For years Rogers was the best NT in the league.

Dan Connor is a LB that we must go after to pair with Laurinaitis. He`s stepped in for the injured Jon Beason and has done a solid job.

I think we should end up with something like:

Bartell |Murphy | Mikell | Stewart | Fletcher

Quinn | Laurinaitis |Connor | Long

Bannan | Rogers | Franklin
    Great ideas and great in-depth post on the switch to the 3-4 Sosa....It can be done. I also believe the Jets ran a 4-3 under Mangini before Rex came in and switched them to a 3-4. Many teams do it.

Oh yeah, and welcome aboard the Ryan train.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Defense just gave up 391 yards to the Giants at home with the division on the line. Had a 12 point lead with 5 minutes to go. Third time in 2011 Dallas has squandered at least a 12 point lead in the 4th quarter to lose.

No thank you.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -12-12-2011 at 01:00 AM.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Id rather stay with Spags over Rob Ryan.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast