BernieM is offline Registered User

My ClanRam Exclusive Draft Review

I wrote an article at the PD on the draft, but I thought I shold write a special review here at ClanRam, as I am aware that this site has a much higher level of fans than the slobbering mob of dunderheads that frequent the PD site.

Here's how I truly view the draft

Round 1: Jason Smith
    This is a great pick if you look at it from the standpoint of taking an OT for need. Mark Sanchez was the guy I wanted, so I really can't get behind this pick entirely. Also, if one of the other OTs who was selected in the first round ends up being a better player, then that's who I would have taken.

Round 2: James Laurinaitis
    I find that stats, versatility and character are all too nebulous to use as evaluators, particularly for LBs. What concerns me is the Dark Alley Factor (i.e. which player would you least likely wish to meet in a dark alley). Rey Maualuga had a DAF of 8.7. Laurinaitis' was only a 3.1 (which indicates that he'd probably help you out of the alley and buy you a cup of coffee. That is a tangible measurement that can't be disputed). Bad choice by the Rams.

Round 3: Brad Fletcher
    I've never heard of him, so he must suck. People I respect tell me otherwise, but since I knee-jerked an opinion and said he was a major reach on my Litterbox Message Board, I'm sticking with my first impression.

Round 4: Dorrell Scott
    I like this pick. He's a bit light (somewhere between 312-320 lbs.). I'm thinking of offering my services as a personal trainer to get his weight up.

Round 5: Brooks Foster
    The Rams really need more depth at WR, so I hate this pick.

Round 6: Keith Null
    When in this franchise's history has a QB that nobody heard of in college done anything in the NFL?

Round 7: Chris Ogbona...naya...naya
    ...well, naya gonna make this team, that's for sure!

Overall grade: M

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: My ClanRam Exclusive Draft Review

Post this on the PD board and watch the "Miklites" sing his praises and agree with his analysis..Lemmings...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Oh Bernie. always bringing your "A" game to keep me from making the mistake of trusting my own judgment.

haha, this one was a good one. too funny. thx

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

I definitly don't think laurinitis was a bad pick, but why couldn't we take Mauluga instead. I'm just confused.

I'm also confused about the Fletcher pick because we go wide reciever two rounds later when Brandon Tate and Ramses Barden were sitting there in the 3rd.Then two rounds later we go grab the No.3 reciever from UNC. I'm not sure a no.3 reciever in college could produce in the NFL. At least not like those other guys we could have grabbed.

I think it was a bigger need to get a guy to develop opposite of avery than the corner.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The simplest reasons why we went laurinitis instead of mangula. Safer pick. More consisent. More fundementally sound. Healthier. Better character guy (no team suspensions). Far superior in pass coverage. A three down guy. Better fit for our scheme.

Lets put it another way. Spags and billy d, two professionals wanted laurinitis to the point that they were trying to trade up to get him. Tell me why you think rey would have been a better pick for us. Please dont say because he is an intimidator. Give us some factual basis for preferring him over laurenitis.

You ask a fair question. Same question as why fletcher over michael johson or why smith over monroe. Unfortunately, as fans, we dont always get the answers we want or any answers at all. Bottom line is we picked him because the rams liked him better than the other available choices.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GC
    The simplest reasons why we went laurinitis instead of mangula. Safer pick. More consisent. More fundementally sound. Healthier. Better character guy (no team suspensions). Far superior in pass coverage. A three down guy. Better fit for our scheme.
    Well yea, but other than that...
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Overall grade: M
    From the response so far, Bern, I think you're going to have to start putting a "FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY" disclaimer on your posts.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Slobbering mob of dunderheads...slobbering mob of dunderheads...teehee....I think bernieM has finally pushed me over the edge.

edit: say slobbering mob of dunderheads five times while looking in the mirror and you'll see a nekkid Shawgmunt in an unmanly embrace.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -04-27-2009 at 02:34 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The fact that there are serious responses to this thread is making BernieM laugh (so I'm told).

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

Round 7: Chris Ogbona...naya...naya
    ...well, naya gonna make this team, that's for sure!
    Made my afternoon with this one!
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

ramsfan559 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BernieM View Post

Round 5: Brooks Foster
    The Rams really need more depth at WR, so I hate this pick.
    you cant hate this pick...
    he could adds an option at kick returner to an already weak kick returner unit and he adds pretty good size and depth to our reciever core...im not saying he's going to be jerry rice or devin hester but i see him bieng something like a Josh Cribbs kinda guy

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Revelstoke View Post
    Made my afternoon with this one!
    Office Space references are automatically funny!