Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My current "most overrated Ram" may surprise you.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

My current "most overrated Ram" may surprise you.

While this may come as a surprise to many, the player who I currently view as the most "overrated" Ram is Zac Stacy.

Let me define my terms.

I think Stacy is a very good RB. I believe that he is capable, with good health and a solid OL, to put up 1,200+ yards and an average of 4.2 or better.

What makes him "overrated" in my book is the way that he is regarded, by some, as the "answer" at RB for the Rams.

Here's my concern...

Stacy was frequently nicked up last year - a season in which he really only played 12 games. He has a bruising style of running (mostly between the tackles), and he's not a physical specimen comparable to Steven Jackson.

So, for those who see him as the "answer," I think you're asking too much of the guy.

Stacy should be the starter going into 2014. But, in my opinion, he should be a 15-18 carries/game guy. That means that the Rams will need to have somewhat of a committee approach. Whether Stacy's backup, Bennie Cunningham, is up to the task of being the No. 2 back is debateable. In my opinion, the Rams should bring in another back to compete (I'd look in Rounds 3-5 for a good value/fit).

This is a key issue in my book. There is no question that the Rams' success and failure last year turned, to a large extend, on the success and failure of the running game. The Rams can't afford, in my opinion, to be in a situation in which Stacy can't go, and the "committee" becomes Cunningham and ??? (Richardson? Pead?). They need another horse in the stable.

So, to me, Stacy, by being portrayed as a guy who fully answers the question at RB, has become the most "overrated" guy on the team.

He needs some help.
    Randart likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: My current "most overrated Ram" may surprise you.

His health is definitely a concern, especially with the type of runner he is. I would not mind at all adding a guy like Carlos Hyde or Jeremy Hill, but I wouldn't touch a RB before round 4.

THE DREAM TEAM

demiurge is offline Registered User

Interesting. Guess I don't feel the same way as everyone else, when Stacey didn't make 1000 yards and didn't average 4 yards a carry, something even old man Steven Jackson did the year before. He's definitely our starter and has a future, but he hasn't earned 'the man' status yet.

IMO the most overrated would probably go to Saffold, which is odd even in my own mind. Its that there's so many vocal detractors about this team even among the fans that its hard too merit to many of them as being highly rated in the first place. Saffold is one who has a lot of positive publicity for his work at OG and his flexibility so gets a lot of positive reviews. But we are all aware of the health issues, which makes a lot of the rest moot at times.

Laurainitis would be the other. Yes, I think he's good, he's certainly smart and a great leader, but he has athletic limitations, and while the # of tackles is very high they are often down the field. I'd say he's an above average MLB, while many think he's near pro bowl level. Of course, if the Rams were more solid at the DT spot we would see a jump there.

My most overrated player would probably go to James Laurinaitis.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    My most overrated player would probably go to James Laurinaitis.
    I'll name him my "most underrated," then... just to cancel out your vote.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    While this may come as a surprise to many, the player who I currently view as the most "overrated" Ram is Zac Stacy.

Let me define my terms.

I think Stacy is a very good RB. I believe that he is capable, with good health and a solid OL, to put up 1,200+ yards and an average of 4.2 or better.

What makes him "overrated" in my book is the way that he is regarded, by some, as the "answer" at RB for the Rams.

Here's my concern...

Stacy was frequently nicked up last year - a season in which he really only played 12 games. He has a bruising style of running (mostly between the tackles), and he's not a physical specimen comparable to Steven Jackson.

So, for those who see him as the "answer," I think you're asking too much of the guy.

Stacy should be the starter going into 2014. But, in my opinion, he should be a 15-18 carries/game guy. That means that the Rams will need to have somewhat of a committee approach. Whether Stacy's backup, Bennie Cunningham, is up to the task of being the No. 2 back is debateable. In my opinion, the Rams should bring in another back to compete (I'd look in Rounds 3-5 for a good value/fit).

This is a key issue in my book. There is no question that the Rams' success and failure last year turned, to a large extend, on the success and failure of the running game. The Rams can't afford, in my opinion, to be in a situation in which Stacy can't go, and the "committee" becomes Cunningham and ??? (Richardson? Pead?). They need another horse in the stable.

So, to me, Stacy, by being portrayed as a guy who fully answers the question at RB, has become the most "overrated" guy on the team.

He needs some help.
    Stacy was already hurt before he started the season so he never was 100%. How many running backs or players don't get nicked up, they all do. What I like is he played through it. I don't think Stacy is ever going to be the so called bell cow those days are gone... thank god. DRich is being unfairly judged IMO he had turf toe for crying out loud. He also was in the offense when it was a spread not the two and three TE sets we used after week four. Cunningham was coming off a major injury and played well. Pead well was Pead.

You don't like the depth so he is overrated?

Using your thought process Sam Bradford is "overrated" in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    You don't like the depth so he is overrated?

Using your thought process Sam Bradford is "overrated" in my book.
    I swear... some of you really need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

I did not say he was overrated because of a lack of depth. That's ridiculous.

I said he is overrated because many regard him as a guy who can carry the load of the running game for a full season. I'm concerned that he might not be "that guy" (i.e. a guy who can be a primary RB for a full season and stay healthy enough to be effective in December and, hopefully, January).

Stacy averaged 20.75 carries/game in the 12 games he started. Do you know how many guys in the league carried the ball that many times per game?

ZERO

So, if Rams fans think that he can keep up that pace and be effective (and stay healthy) they are overrating the guy, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I swear... some of you really need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

I did not say he was overrated because of a lack of depth. That's ridiculous.

I said he is overrated because many regard him as a guy who can carry the load of the running game for a full season. I'm concerned that he might not be "that guy" (i.e. a guy who can be a primary RB for a full season and stay healthy enough to be effective in December and, hopefully, January).

Stacy averaged 20.75 carries/game in the 12 games he started. Do you know how many guys in the league carried the ball that many times per game?

ZERO

So, if Rams fans think that he can keep up that pace and be effective (and stay healthy) they are overrating the guy, in my opinion.
    Why do you think that was the case? DRich was hurt! You know the guy, he will be sharing reps with Stacy next year to keep him fresh. The same guy that shared reps with SJ when healthy.

Whatever!

The Rams can't afford, in my opinion, to be in a situation in which Stacy can't go, and the "committee" becomes Cunningham and ??? (Richardson? Pead?). They need another horse in the stable.
    yeah the committee will be Cunningham and DRich. Cunningham already stepped in and finished a game by closing out the bears. Cunningham avg. 5.6 yards per carry not to shabby. Pead may be cut and we add another back that can happen. If you think we need another back just come out and say it.

Since you seem to be having a lot of trouble with this, let me reduce it to sound bites:

A starting RB could be rated as follows:

Highest rank: feature back (i.e. Steven Jackson in his prime, Marshawn Lynch today)
    Middle rank: platoon back (i.e. Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller in Buffalo)
    Lowest rank: inadequate starter (i.e. Lamar Miller)

I believe that many Rams fans think that Stacy fits in the "feature back" category and that, as a result, we're set for the 2014 season.

I think that constitutes an overrating of his abilty, and that he belongs in the "platoon back" category.

Now, it may be that some - perhaps you fit into this category - agree that Stacy is a "platoon back," but also believe that Cunningham (or DRich) is sufficient to fill out the platoon. That's a separate issue from the point I'm making but, to respond to your point, I'm not sure that Cunningham or DRich is sufficient, and I'd like to bring in more competition as a result.

Randart is offline Registered User

I have come out and said it all off season so I definately agree with AvR this time around. WE NEED ANOTHER BACK. Ours were all hurt last season except Peadster and he may be gone and the coaching staff seems does not trust him with the reins. Also DRich when in was horriffic in blocking check him out in the Whiners game it was scarry! Even if he had turf toe he whiffed badly often, really he could have fallen down and done better. Stacy and Bam Bam will do then we need another to help keep them healthy.

Hopefully a bigger back and I do not mind spending a pick earlier than round 4 as I think we will have multiple trade backs in this draft or I badly miss my guess.

It's definitely a good thing that we don't really have any "overrated" players. The best I could come up with was James because I feel like most Rams fans feel he is a top 5 MLB in the league when I don't feel that way. Most of our players are young and are not even in their third season so there aren't many guys that could be thought of as overrated.

THE DREAM TEAM

general counsel is offline Registered User

I see your point on Stacy, but i would vote for Chris Long, who i think is somewhat above average, but nowhere near a star and nowhere near the salary he is getting paid. I think Laurinaitis is a far better middle linebacker than Long is a defensive end and i dont view him as overated at all. With all the attention Quinn got this year, Long should have been a lot more impressive. He makes plays from time to time, but he is often blocked one on one or with a tight end. If he last name wasnt long and he wasnt the former #2 overall pick in the draft, i dont think he would get the credit or attention that he currently does. Dont get me wrong, i like the guy and think he gives great effort, but to me, he is really another Grant Wistrom with a much bigger salary. Good, not great and overated. I also dont see him improving in the future, although i would love to be wrong. 2014 is a big year for Long, because Quinn wont surprise anyone anymore, teams will have to game plan for him and you would think that Longs numbers would really benefit as a result (see what happened with Fred Dryer as Youngblood emerged as unblockable).

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    bradwill likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I agree that we need to add another play into the mix.

If Stacy can stay healthy all season, I have no doubt he will post stellar numbers. That's a big IF.

RB is the most punishing position in the NFL, and he had his fair share of minor injuries already during his rookie campaign. It would be the most prudent course of action to add another competent body who can both share carries with Stacy, and take over in the case of injury.

Chris Johnson comes to mind, but I think he'll ask for to much money. Either way, I could definitely see the Rams test the waters with him. With that said, after seeing the Rams wheel and deal for Stacy in the 5th, I'm confident they can find a cheap, solid backup in this years draft.

The Rams think he is a feature back per Les at the combine today. We shall see if they bring in enforcements.

The Rams have no plans to scale back Zac Stacy's workload for 2014.
    "He should be more productive (in 2014) because he should have more carries," were the words of GM Les Snead on Friday. Stacy averaged a whopping 24 touches in 11 games as the Rams' starter, but is still only 23 (in April). With Stacy breaking out as a rookie and the Rams lacking proven runners behind him, they have no reason to lighten his load. Stacy will be a solid second-round pick in re-draft leagues, and is shaping up as an excellent long-term Dynasty own. Feb 21 - 1:59 PM
    Source: Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The Rams think he is a feature back per Les at the combine today. We shall see if they bring in enforcements.

The Rams have no plans to scale back Zac Stacy's workload for 2014.
    "He should be more productive (in 2014) because he should have more carries," were the words of GM Les Snead on Friday. Stacy averaged a whopping 24 touches in 11 games as the Rams' starter, but is still only 23 (in April). With Stacy breaking out as a rookie and the Rams lacking proven runners behind him, they have no reason to lighten his load. Stacy will be a solid second-round pick in re-draft leagues, and is shaping up as an excellent long-term Dynasty own. Feb 21 - 1:59 PM
    Source: Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter
    He'll certainly have more total carries, as he will (hopefully) start 16 games, instead of 12. The operative question is whether he'll have more carries per game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast