Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: My Entirely Selfish View of the Stadium Issue

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

My Entirely Selfish View of the Stadium Issue

As I look at the stadium issue, I realize that there is only one person I'm certain stands to gain regardless of how things ultimately work out, and that person is me.

It seems to me that there are three possible outcomes: (1) the Rams and the EJD agree to a plan to upgrade the existing facility, (2) the Rams build a new stadium in St. Louis, and (3) the Rams move to Los Angeles.

If the team upgrades the stadium, then it will be business as usual for me. I'll continue making my annual trip to St. Louis for the Bash. It will just be in a nicer facility. I'm all for that.

If the team builds a new stadium, that would also be great. It could add to the hotel and restaurant options for the Bash weekend and, hopefully, would lead to something I've always missed when watching the Rams play at home: the feel of an open air stadium on a crisp Fall day.

Finally, if the Rams were to move back to L.A., I'd continue to make the trip. Perhaps I'd have to stay an extra day to accommodate the travel, but it would still be feasible. And, once again, the idea of open air games would be very appealing.

Perhaps my view seems cold and uncaring to those residing in the St. Louis area. For that, I am sorry. But, in the end, I am a Rams fan... wherever they hang their helmets.
    RamDez, Rambos, THOLTFAN81 and 1 others like this.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: My Entirely Selfish View of the Stadium Issue

I agree about being a Rams fan, no matter what. However, I don't see the Rams moving anywhere.

So arbitration resulted in a decision favoring the Rams. Goodell has already stated that the NFL will assist with the funding. Kroenke is no fool when it comes to investments - in fact, I live about a mile or so away from one of his real estate holdings. Yes, he has them all over, including Springfield, for some reason.

If the CVB does not agree to "fix up" the dome, it is a non-issue. What will likely happen (90% or better probability) is that Kroenke will leverage his idea with the city, getting one heck of a good deal on another piece of property - either just north of the current EJD, or the old Chrysler plant. Of course, there ARE other choices - he could also pick a spot over near the old stockyard site in National City - a VERY blighted area that would kiss his...er, posterior...to get such an attraction. Kroenke holds ALL the cards...and St. Louis knows this. They also know he would only move out of the city as a last resort.

The best part about the Rams being in St. Louis is the geographical advantage it brings. While I am sure that there are fans out west who really want the Rams in LA, there are fans out east who would love to see them on the east coast, too. In St. Louis, it is a central location, where fans from around the nation can see the team without having to travel all the way across the US.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, I agree that Option 3 is the least likely.

To me, the biggest change I'm hoping for is to be able to look up during the game and see the sky.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I kind of liked the Riverport area back in the early 90s, so I believe the Maryland Heights area is a good second option. The Page Ave extension makes it a better area than it was in the early 90s. With Rams Park just across I-70, this is probably ideal for the Rams. One downside? the dump in that area can sometime be pretty rank. Another plus? Dave and Busters is nearby.

If the Maryland Heights area is not chosen, I would next prefer Fenton. Although, this could have a more difficult post game exit, and I don't believe there are enough eating and tailgating option in that area.

gap

Rambos is offline Registered User

OK if we are being selfish.... Welcome home Rams!

Last edited by Rambos; -02-03-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I doubt option 3 would make it since Kroenke was part of taking the Rams to St. Louis. He's just trying to bargain with the city until both parties can find a middle ground. Unless the city monumentally screws up the negotiations to keep them there, then welcome back Rams.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    OK if we are being selfish.... Welcome home Rams!

Don't worry - I am 100% positive that someday the St. Louis Rams will be at Farmer's Field...to play the LOS ANGELES RAIDERS...

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Don't worry - I am 100% positive that someday the St. Louis Rams will be at Farmer's Field...to play the LOS ANGELES RAIDERS...
    I would rather have no team here then the haters. I would take the Chargers through. I think the Rams will stay in the lou and build a new stadium, Stan will drive home a killer deal hanging the possibility of moving over the heads of the local fans.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

The Cardinals are revered around here and even they had to rely mostly on private funding. The thing with St. Louis is that the politics and demographics are just so screwed up. I think there is a compromise to be had here, but the process is probably going to be messy full with corruption and charges of racism before all is said and done.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As I look at the stadium issue, I realize that there is only one person I'm certain stands to gain regardless of how things ultimately work out, and that person is me.

It seems to me that there are three possible outcomes: (1) the Rams and the EJD agree to a plan to upgrade the existing facility, (2) the Rams build a new stadium in St. Louis, and (3) the Rams move to Los Angeles.

If the team upgrades the stadium, then it will be business as usual for me. I'll continue making my annual trip to St. Louis for the Bash. It will just be in a nicer facility. I'm all for that.

If the team builds a new stadium, that would also be great. It could add to the hotel and restaurant options for the Bash weekend and, hopefully, would lead to something I've always missed when watching the Rams play at home: the feel of an open air stadium on a crisp Fall day.

Finally, if the Rams were to move back to L.A., I'd continue to make the trip. Perhaps I'd have to stay an extra day to accommodate the travel, but it would still be feasible. And, once again, the idea of open air games would be very appealing.

Perhaps my view seems cold and uncaring to those residing in the St. Louis area. For that, I am sorry. But, in the end, I am a Rams fan... wherever they hang their helmets.
    I am in a bit of the same boat being that I live in New Orleans now. It shouldn't matter where the Rams play for me. But then, I'm from St. Louis, and I want to see the local economy thrive. However, even if the Rams move, I'll still be a Rams fan through and through, although it's getting harder and harder to resist the "Who Dat" chants for a second favorite team.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I wonder what the Vegas odds are as to whether the Rams will move to L.A.? For me, this is a non-issue. Not because I live so far away, but because pretty much from the get-go, the tea leaves have pointed to the Rams staying in St. Louis, just not at the Dome.

1) Anyone who has been to the Dome for a game can see that it is too small (footprint wise) to really be built into a top tier Stadium.

2) Stan Kroenke is first and foremost a real estate developer extraordinaire - it's primarily how he made is billions. I believe Stan already has a plan and is implementing it. The "plan" started when he bought 40% of the Rams along with the right of first refusal should the other 60% of the Rams be put up for sale.

3) Stan is now entering the final phase of his plan - that of housing his team in a state of the art stadium. I don't think he will attempt to hold the city of St. Louis ransom - he doesn't need to. I believe he'll use his significant leverage to acquire not only land, but favorable zoning, permitting, tax incentives, etc.

4) Stan has to go through the process dictated by the Dome lease agreement which is ongoing. He doesn't need to hurry - everything is falling into place. And yes, he will negotiate the best deal he can. That said, in the end St. Louis will likely be the better for it as Stan's plan will likely generate more jobs and income for St. Louis overall.

That's my two cents on it anyway .. And if I am wrong, and the Rams were to end up playing in some other city or state, certainly I would continue to root for them - after all, I am from L.A. originally, and initially was really bummed when they moved to St. Louis.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

My preference would be they return to LA, but then I have to decide if I keep traveling to a different city each year to see them play and buy season tickets, or just buy the tickets. Like AV though, for me it doesn't matter where they hang their helmets, I'll always be a Ram fan.

I will add that this has been an interesting drama to watch. Stan has gotten most all of ownership for a low amount of dollars in comparison to what others have paid for their teams in the recent past. St Louis has been taken to the cleaners on the dome and now must consider how much more they are willing to pay for possibly another stadium. The citizens of St. Louis are livid over this or at least the posters in the Dispatch are and it is all too familiar to me and what we went through he in LA/OC in the 90's.

Two more points I find interesting:

1. Little outcry over the decision of the arbitrators.
    2. No one mentions the fact that bringing the Rams to St Louis in 95 was supposed to be a huge financial boost, but yet the city still suffers to make the downtown somewhat attractive to people with money.

Joe
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

The Rams should have never left in the first place. If you can't make money in the 2nd largest media market in the country, something is terribly wrong, or you are simply mismanaging your franchise. Because I am one who is resistant to change for change sake, and I am also a Dodgers and Lakers fan, I would welcome the Rams returning to LA.

Another question I haven't seen asked or answered: If the Rams upgrade their current facility, where will they be playing their home games when it's being done? Doesn't seem possible for them to be playing in a stadium under renovation.

And If I were an owner as wealthy as Kroenke and wanted to keep the team in St. Louis, I'd pony up extra money to have a state of the art, brand new facility rather than a patchwork plan to upgrade the Dome- an ugly eyesore.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    My preference would be they return to LA, but then I have to decide if I keep traveling to a different city each year to see them play and buy season tickets, or just buy the tickets. Like AV though, for me it doesn't matter where they hang their helmets, I'll always be a Ram fan.

I will add that this has been an interesting drama to watch. Stan has gotten most all of ownership for a low amount of dollars in comparison to what others have paid for their teams in the recent past. St Louis has been taken to the cleaners on the dome and now must consider how much more they are willing to pay for possibly another stadium. The citizens of St. Louis are livid over this or at least the posters in the Dispatch are and it is all too familiar to me and what we went through he in LA/OC in the 90's.

Two more points I find interesting:

1. Little outcry over the decision of the arbitrators.
    2. No one mentions the fact that bringing the Rams to St Louis in 95 was supposed to be a huge financial boost, but yet the city still suffers to make the downtown somewhat attractive to people with money.

Joe
    I can't imagine just how much of an armpit downtown St. Louis would be without the Rams, Blues and Cardinals.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post

Joe
    I hope that I don't catch flack for this, and I also hope that things have changed (but I doubt it), but this was my experience in South St. Louis about 30 years ago.

There is/was a lot of racism (reverse) in St Louis that keeps it from becoming a vibrant area. This atmosphere is like the "good-ol-boy" "ceiling" that is attributed to other areas. Worse yet, because of the atmosphere, people in that area usually only do business with certain types of people/businesses. This happens even if they get charged more, to keep the money in the area. These people/businesses often take advantage of that, and don't complete the work as expected. Then projects are never completed, which makes the area look bad, and also chases away people who would make the place better.

As long as that cronyism (word???) continues, even to the levels of local Gov't, the City will stay in the shape that it is in. I certainly hope that things are changing in St. Louis, but based on some of the comments I read about downtown looking like a bombed out war zone, I doubt it will.

For the reasons stated above, I hope Maryland Heights is the future home of the St. Louis football stadium. My Second choice would be Fenton. The third choice is probably NEVER gonna happen, but I wouldn't doubt if Stan has thought about moving the RAMS to Columbia, MO.

gap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast