Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My final take on Michael Sam.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

My final take on Michael Sam.

I rooted for the guy. I wanted him to make this roster. He's a Mizzou guy....of course I wanted to see him in a Rams uniform. But the one thing I was afraid would happen has happened; on a small scale at least. In May, the Rams are some kind of social vanguard. But in August they are a social pariah when the time comes that Sam doesn't fit the roster.

I'm in the gym yesterday watching PTI on ESPN. And Michael Wilbon (who is one of the biggest idiots on TV) starts blathering implications of how Sam's cut from the active roster and deterrence from the practice squad MUST have been due to his sexual orientation. Wilbon just couldn't see how the "SEC Defensive Player of the Year" could not be on practice squad". Wilbon stated he had "seen guys who were real fumble bums on practice squads, and Sam can't make the practice squad?" Wilbon declared "Sam belongs in the NFL". When referring to the notion that Sam's dismissal was a football decision, Wilbon concluded that "there has to be more to it". To ESPN's credit, at least Kornheiser (who I dislike only slightly less than Wilbon) had the good sense to say that Fisher is a smart defensive guy, who bases his football decisions on what makes the roster the best.

Again, I'm glad Fisher gave him a shot. He's a talented Mizzou kid who hopefully makes it somewhere. It's just this crap coming from morons like Wilbon that really tick me off.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: My final take on Michael Sam.

Cowboys plan to sign Michael Sam to practice squad

By Marc Sessler
    Michael Sam's NFL journey isn't over yet.

The Dallas Cowboys plan to bring the free-agent defensive end in for a physical on Wednesday, a team source told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport. If the rookie passes, Sam will be added to the team's practice squad.

"I'm excited to be to be joining Dallas, I just want to play football, it's great to be heading back to my home state," Sam told the Dallas Morning News on Tuesday night after his arrival in Dallas. "... It's been a roller coaster this past week but I'm happy where I'm at now. ... I'm just looking forward to being a Cowboy, my focus is on making the team."

The seventh-round pick of the Rams cleared waivers on Sunday after St. Louis released him during their roster reduction to 53 men. NFL Media columnist Michael Silver reported that coach Jeff Fisher "remains a fan" but the Rams needed practice help at other positions due to injury concerns.

The NFL's first openly gay player racked up 2.5 sacks this preseason and led the Rams with six tackles in Thursday night's preseason loss to the Miami Dolphins.

The Cowboys spent Tuesday calling their own players to gauge reaction to making Sam a Cowboy. With the Rams out of the picture, Dallas looms as a solid fit for last year's SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year because of the team's 4-3 scheme and a desperate need for help on defense.
    Last edited by Rambos; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:54 AM.

Rambos is online now Registered User

My final thoughts on Sam and The Rams. If it wasn't for the Rams to step up to the plate and draft him then coach him up not sure he gets on any team in the NFL. We gave him enough reps to show he can play in the NFL just not for a team loaded on the D line in his rookie year. Lets hope ESPN can let the guy play and not try and cash in because they can.

I was reading a comment from someone who posted about how the Rams treated Sam. She said I never followed the Rams prior to Sam being here, she went on to say the Rams treated him more then fair and in the end will follow Sam's career but also said she will stay a Rams fan, thought that was pretty cool.
    Last edited by Rambos; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:03 AM.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I rooted for the guy. I wanted him to make this roster. He's a Mizzou guy....of course I wanted to see him in a Rams uniform. But the one thing I was afraid would happen has happened; on a small scale at least. In May, the Rams are some kind of social vanguard. But in August they are a social pariah when the time comes that Sam doesn't fit the roster.

I'm in the gym yesterday watching PTI on ESPN. And Michael Wilbon (who is one of the biggest idiots on TV) starts blathering implications of how Sam's cut from the active roster and deterrence from the practice squad MUST have been due to his sexual orientation. Wilbon just couldn't see how the "SEC Defensive Player of the Year" could not be on practice squad". Wilbon stated he had "seen guys who were real fumble bums on practice squads, and Sam can't make the practice squad?" Wilbon declared "Sam belongs in the NFL". When referring to the notion that Sam's dismissal was a football decision, Wilbon concluded that "there has to be more to it". To ESPN's credit, at least Kornheiser (who I dislike only slightly less than Wilbon) had the good sense to say that Fisher is a smart defensive guy, who bases his football decisions on what makes the roster the best.

Again, I'm glad Fisher gave him a shot. He's a talented Mizzou kid who hopefully makes it somewhere. It's just this crap coming from morons like Wilbon that really tick me off.
    I just watched that this morning on my DVR and I just went back through it now and it was Kornheiser who said "He was the Co-Defensive Player of the SEC, the elite conference".

You left out the part where Wilbon said he changed his mind from his first reaction because he was persuaded by Bill Pollian who said "he's a one dimensional player, he's marginal, and the scouting reports were correct based on his pro day, and to make it a social issue is unfair to the people you are talking about, and also to Sam himself". So Wilbon did change his mind after his initial reaction which was early that morning on Kornheiser's radio show.

Wilbon did say "stumble bums" though.

I do watch both Around The Horn and PTI more for the comedy than the sports, and because the shows are based on opposite opinions from 2 or 4 people on most subjects I know there will be a side taken that I don't like or agree with because that's the nature of the shows.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:06 AM.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'd ask Mr. Wilbon the following:

Is Michael Sam better than Robert Quinn?
    Is Michael Sam better than Chris Long?
    Is Michael Sam better than William Hayes?
    Is Michael Sam better than Eugene Sims?

I think its pretty clear that the answer to each of these is "no."

Then, there's only one question remaining:

Is Michael Sam better than Ethan Westbrooks?

Reasonable minds may differ, but a strong case can be made for Westbrooks.

So, yes... Michael Sam is good enough to be a DE on an NFL team.

Just not THIS NFL team.
    chucknbob likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Someone could argue that Michael Sam was a better pass rusher from defensive end than Westbrooks. You won't be able to argue he is better against the run or a better player from the defensive tackle spot than Westbrooks. Ethan Westbrooks brings versatility which Sam can't, which is why he made the team

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Michael Sam had nothing but good things to say about the Rams and his time with the team after he was released. It was the Rams players and coaches who accepted him, treated him with respect, defended him, and showed the world that having an openly gay player in the NFL was not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sam
    I want to thank the entire Rams organization and the city of St. Louis for giving me this tremendous opportunity and allowing me to show I can play at this level. I look forward to continuing to build on the progress I made here toward a long and successful career.

The most worthwhile things in life rarely come easy, this is a lesson I've always known. The journey continues...
    People like Wilbon need to wise up and stop with the baseless ideological garbage.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

It's quite simple. Robert Quinn is not just a good pass rusher, or run stopper he's disruptive. Now add the addition of a Chris Long who has a high motor, on the opposite side and now you have a problem. Not to mention the Rookie and Bohemeth stuffing the middle. Now comes the interesting part, is Sam a better pass rusher than Westbrooks? Definitively yes, his high motor keeps him in the play. However Westbrooks is not only a decent pass rusher but he can play every position on the line. That alone makes him more valuable of a player. I also failed to mention Westbrooks can play ST and Sam can't

Now you factor in the fact the we came away with some bumps and bruises we obtained and need to carry those needs on the PS and Sam just wasn't viable not matter how bad any of use wanted keep him. I really wanted Sam to make the squad. See this isn't about showering with a gay guy or what he does at home, this all about football and football only. I detest the gay lifestyle but I wouldn't have a problem with a guy like Sam being on my team, because the guy can flat out play. He had a great opportunity learning from the best DL in the league he'll make one heck of a player.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I listen to sports talk radio religiously every day in the largest media market in the country. I haven't heard ONE SINGLE COMMENT since Sam was released that has been critical of the Rams. Straight-thinking fans and media types alike realize the Rams' strength on the defensive line and understand Sam not being kept was a football decision and nothing else.

If Michael Wilbon wants to use his bully pulpit to make it appear differently, then the world will recognize him for what he truly is- a fool. At this point, no one cares.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

First, I predicted that the Rams would not be able to cut M. Sam if necessary. I was wrong, and am glad to be wrong on that matter.

If he must be in the NFL, he is on the right team.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Jerry now has the hot tater. He want's it god love him.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

...wait, are you trying to tell me that someone on ESPN is attempting to make more out of a Michael Sam story than it actually is?

I am truly shocked, sir.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

citr92 is online now Registered User

I mean yea, if he wasn't trying to make the best D-line in the NFL...lol

he'll have a better shot with the cowboys

and then there's that book about what some players did in the cowboys locker room years back >.>

mh-i is offline Registered User

I think the Rams from day 1 did what they thought was in the best interest for the Rams to be successful in 2014 and into the future. The Rams it turns out did have a need for what in reality a 7th round pick is projected to be which is a special teams player. Sam got a fair shake, had a decent camp and was beaten out by an undrafted free agent who also had a good camp but that the team felt could fill the teams' needs better this season. It's as simple as that. Maybe one day Michael Sam will be on the regualr roster of an NFL team and I wish him all the luck in the world that that can happen for him. That said, if it does happen and the Rams line up against him he will then become the enemy for that game. That's the way the game is played.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Hey Wilbon! Lalalalalalalalala what lalalalalalalalalala!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast