theodus69 is offline Registered User

Is it my imagination or.....

Is it my imagination or is Jackson a bit slow getting to the line of scrimage. Maybe if they stick with the running game than Faulk ought to get used alot more. Jackson is really starting to irritate me. He doesn't look like he can really see where he is going. I'm sure some(like the qb contra) like Jackson better than Faulk, but Faulk is healthy and looks like he can do a better job. This season has really went into a talespin. The coach is down ,the secondary stinks, and the O-Line smells just as bad! If the line is so bad why don't they go to the quick routes and slants to bring the D's up then shoot for the long ball? I'm really trying to be optomistic, but I'm fading fast!:clanram:

I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Is it my imagination or.....

"If the line is so bad why don't they go to the quick routes and slants to bring the D's up then shoot for the long ball? "

Exactly!! Against Arizona Martz started off with Bulger utilizing seven step drops and it is a wonder he didn't get him killed. We weren't playing from way behind in the first quarter either.

Hopefully Steve Fairchild will take what the Indy defense offers, and not try and dictate from the outset.

:football:

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Jackson is the starter. Faulk's knees just wont allow him to carry the running game for an entire game anymore. Remember, Jackson is a big back. You have to get him some carries so that he can warm up and start breaking those big runs.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Jackson does need some carries to get going, but the plays can't be designed for him to run laterally before heading up field. These plays don't work for Faulk either when the O'line isn't playing well, but are definitely losses when Jackson runs them.

Quick throws and runs up the middle will definitely help get things going early on, so that they can set up the 7 step drop plays to Holt, etc...

I've notice our KR game is lacking the speed of the ball...in other words, Johnson gets the ball and looks up for a second to see where he is going to go. While he is doing this, he starts off kind of slow before he hits the Jets. Marshall's theory of slow to the hole, and fast through the hole does not work on KR's. The reason our guy gets to the 19, and other teams get to th 29 on these plays is the 1 second it takes to get going. When the ball get's there.....GO!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    I've notice our KR game is lacking the speed of the ball...in other words, Johnson gets the ball and looks up for a second to see where he is going to go. While he is doing this, he starts off kind of slow before he hits the Jets. Marshall's theory of slow to the hole, and fast through the hole does not work on KR's. The reason our guy gets to the 19, and other teams get to th 29 on these plays is the 1 second it takes to get going. When the ball get's there.....GO!

I disagree, if you remember Tony Horne he started a little slow setting up his blocks and looking for the right hole.
    Another example is Dante Hall he does the exact same thing, he doesn't start out running full speed because he would just run into his blockers and wouldn't find the hole. Johnson must be doing something right since he scored a TD on a KR.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    Jackson does need some carries to get going, but the plays can't be designed for him to run laterally before heading up field. These plays don't work for Faulk either when the O'line isn't playing well, but are definitely losses when Jackson runs them.
    This is such a great point.

I'm not entirely convinced the Rams are utilizing Jackson the best way they can. He's a north and south runner who works best when he hits the hole and moves forward down the field, breaking tackles as he goes because he's already built up some speed.

But a lot of times you see the Rams running these misdirection plays or tosses where the line shifts laterally and Jackson follows, sidestepping behind them waiting for a hole that never comes. If we want Jackson to be successful, I think we need to concentrate on calling runs that put him between the guard and tackle or off tackle, something where we can open a hole quickly and get him through it rather than these wide running plays.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rampete is offline Registered User

theodus69, you're correct in your observation about jackson's tendency to be slow in the backfield. that was one of the very few knocks on him when he came out of oregon state...

he's much better when he decides quickly which hole to hit but sometimes he pauses in the backfield as if he's looking to see what is developing in front of him...

but i'll take that over missing assignments or not being able to pass protect...

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I think to really fix any problem of him getting hit in the backfield, we need to run him up the middle; and then later run him to the outside. This is when he is most effective. He wears down the inside defenders before running outside, basically nutralizing the inside surge. The outside guys are left alone, and generally these guys are the pass defenders, not run stoppers. This is a formula that guys like Jerome Bettis and Jamal Lewis have followed their entire careers. The thing with Jackson though, is that he has better speed than both of these guys.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

guess it wasn't my imagination! Thanks for the back up. This team has to change some things real quick or it's gonna be lights out! When personel changes and talent is less , you need to make adjustments! If Martz is this genious they say then he would have changed things a couple of years ago! I have 3 boys all from me and their mother and I have a different plan for each. I'm not seeing that with the Rams! Seems to me they have been figured out ,Martz knows it and he is scratching his head! That my friends is not a genious. That is a guy who marketed a product and it has faded with time and they are since on the verge of Bankruptcy. Bottom line, he's no genious. I know he is in poor health and I hope for the best for him, but I'm not high on his coaching skills! Bell bottoms are back so maybe this offense will work say................... 2020.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!