throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

My latest thought will be even more controversial than SLOP

Here it is...

I can see the Rams deciding not to sign
    Steven Jackson to a long term deal when
    his contract expires at the end of the year.

Does that sound nuts? Well, stick with me for a moment. Here's how I can
    see it happening.

If the Rams want to sign Jackson long term, it will mean paying a huge sum of
    money, which would impact the cap status for years to come. While Jackson is young, history shows that RBs who sign long-term deals rarely stay healthy and
    productive long enough to justify their contracts in the long run.

So, will the Rams just let Jackson walk? Of course not.

However, it might be a very good gamble to franchise Jackson. This would result
    in two possible outcomes:

1. Jackson plays for the franchise amount, remains hungry for that long term deal, and the Rams have no long-term obligation if he has a major injury; or

2. Some other team signs him away, giving the Rams two first round draft picks, and the Rams fall back on Brian Leonard.

Now, the reason I thought of this today, of course, is that Leonard showed a flash of being a very capable #1 back. Obviously, for my plan to make sense, Leonard would have to continue to show this over a period of at least a few games.

That said, I could see this happening.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Re: My latest thought will be even more controversial than SLOP

as far fetched as that may seem, it is indeed a possibility Av....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Rambos is offline Registered User

I can see the Rams deciding not to sign
    Steven Jackson to a long term deal when
    his contract expires at the end of the year.
    Finally we agree AV. SJ is a great back but he will cost this team a ton of money and we still need more talent across thr board.

Also we have Pittman. Pittman and BL would be a nice one two. I want SJ but at the right price.

BL has played well in every game he has played in.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-07-2007 at 10:35 PM.

bigredman Guest

I totally agree. Jackson's mouth has been more productive than his play on the field, at least as far as his demonstrated ability in his commercials as opposed to his on field prowess. To be fair, he has been behind a less than good offensive line, and I see better play calling at my Pop Warner games. I want to see Jackson hit those holes like a man possessed, just like his Nike commercials, stop the dancing at the line of scrimmage, and mostly internalize his rage and desire to punish the opposition. If he does that, he will demand the big bucks.

Truth is offline Registered User

If Jackson would have spent less time comparing himself to Faulk, and more time learning from him, he might be better at hitting the hole, and reading defenses.

As for the franchise tag, that will probably just bruise his ultra fragile ego. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him whinning about a trade if he gets the tag.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'd like him to be a little more humble too but I'd be very surprised if we didn't re-sign him on the back of a disappointing season and a couple of decent games from Leonard.

Jackson has to produce when next in the line up however.

My point was not to bash Jackson. I think he is a Top 5 back in this league.

Its more a question of fiscal responsibility. There are 2 inescapable facts:

1. RBs rarely earn the money they receive in long term deals, as injuries and age can reduce productivity severely; and

2. History has demonstrated that you don't need a Top 5 RB to win the Super Bowl.

Given those facts, I think the franchise tag could be a good option for the Rams with Jackson.

Truth is offline Registered User

My point wasn't really to "bash" Jackson either. However, he has made the bed. My point about what I think his reaction will be is still valid. I believe that putting the franchise tag on him instead of giving him the payday he believes he deserves will just make him angry. I think he would demand to be traded.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I love Jackson but i'd give him up for two number one picks in a heart beat. After all we do have Leonard and running backs are a dime a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    My point wasn't really to "bash" Jackson either. However, he has made the bed. My point about what I think his reaction will be is still valid. I believe that putting the franchise tag on him instead of giving him the payday he believes he deserves will just make him angry. I think he would demand to be traded.
    That's what is great about the franchise tag. You don't have to trade him. If some other team wants to give him a huge long-term deal, they can do so and give the Rams two first round picks.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

But with his opinion of himself, do you really think he'd accept a franchise tag?

Granted, you could franchise him on the basis that you're expecting to trade him but then what happens with our ability to use the tag again and what message would it send to the team?

And given a sub-par season, as this ones has all the indications of being, woud is vlaue slip past the point where it could be worth it?

I can see the pyrotechnics now.

Interesting question though..........................

I suppose he could threaten a holdout or demand a trade, but don't forget, the franchise number for a RB is going to be a heck of a lot more money than Jackson's ever made in a year so, at the end of the day, I doubt he'd turn it down. Once he takes it (and assuming another team does not sign him and give up the picks), I don't think his playing with a chip on his shoulder would necessarily be a bad thing.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Franchise tagging him might protect you for the long term in terms of eventually having to take an accelerated cap hit, but you're taking a big immediate hit that might prevent you from being able to improve your team in the here and now.

For example, look at Larry Johnson's recent contract; his 2007 cap hit is half of what the franchise tag for a running back was.

So I guess it just depends on when you want to have the money count against your cap - now with the franchise tag or down the road with a possible accelerated cap hit.

I'd clearly rather have the initial hit, because I at least know that it would come at a point in Jackson's career when he's likely to be producing for the team. With a long term deal, if there is going to be an accelerated cap hit, it will likely be because he is not being productive.

I also think that there would be teams who would be tempted to give up 2 first round picks for Jackson.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'd clearly rather have the initial hit, because I at least know that it would come at a point in Jackson's career when he's likely to be producing for the team. With a long term deal, if there is going to be an accelerated cap hit, it will likely be because he is not being productive.

I also think that there would be teams who would be tempted to give up 2 first round picks for Jackson.
    You make very valid points in the first paragraph, but I disagree with you in the second. I don't think productive running backs are so hard to find that a team would be tempted to do that.

Provocative thread, though. It will certainly be interesting to see which direction the Rams go in addressing this issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast