Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

And For My Next Trick...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how to mark my 2000th post on these forums. It's taken me a long while to get here, since February of 2006 actually, so I thought I'd take the time to at least commemorate (or commiserate?) my way through our past three seasons here at the Clan.

What's really taken me lately is the amount of posters gearing themselves toward 2010. Already. I have to say that I don't understand this at all. When things were falling apart for us last season, the light at the end of the tunnel for me was the 2009 NFL Draft. A new coach, a new direction and a host of new players. I have to say I was genuinely thrilled come draft day. For me, draft day involves waking up at three in the morning because I'm too excited to sleep before the draft itself starts sometime around 6AM. It's been televised in Australia the past two years which has been fantastic.

Then, after the draft was over and all the dust had settled, I discovered something: I really missed Rams football. The season before I had put so much stock into next year that I hadn't taken the time to appreciate what was on my TV Screen. The draft was over and it was almost like clutching at straws, upon realising that in all likelihood, we still had a long way to go. It was almost like I'd skipped out on a year of football because I wanted to win now, and the only way I could compensate was to hold out for '09. Admittedly, there wasn't a whole lot to appreciate. 2-14 does bad things to your internal organs.

2009 has indeed rolled around, and, as many of us thought would happen, the Rams are headed in the right direction, especially on defense, but we continue to struggle. But something's changed. For me, at least. I've stopped caring about 2010. I don't care that we are, in all likelihood, destined to end up with the first overall selection in the draft and could well be grooming a new QB for 2011. I don't care that the offensive line play is only marginally better than last season. I see no reason to look forward to 2010 any more than I look forward to this coming Sunday. Win, lose or draw, the St. Louis Rams are playing and I'll be damned if I'm going to miss it.

We're going to continue making progress, week in and week out. By the end of this season, we're going to be an improved football team. But the only way we can make these improvements is by taking every single sunday as it comes. Treating every single sunday like it's the most important game, rather than a precursor to what is supposed to be a bright future. I don't care if we lose every game by double digits. I care that we're making progress. I care about this team coming together and playing cohesively. To me, that's the mark of a true stepping stone to playing well. Sticking it to the other team week in and week out, even if you're well behind in the W column.

Finally, I'd like to say a quick thanks to Dez, HUb, Nick, Av, Mike, Laram0, Sam, Alpha, Jk, EDM, Ramsbruce, BRM, RFTID, Utterblitz, general_counsel, Infitinti, Ramwraith, Cali, Mooselini, Maui, Varg, Ramarkable, 39TheBeast, RF16, Goldenfleece and any of our other regular cast and crew who I've forgotten and will undoubtedly need to apologise to via PM. You all have made this my second home on the internet. Thanks for putting up with me! I look forward to visiting each and every day for my dose of all things Ram. Though I've never met any of you in person, I consider you all my Clan family. Except for BernieM. Haha!

Thanks for making this site what it is: the best damn Rams board on the world wide web.

Here's to another 2000, (and maybe a WIN this season??)

BBQ.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -10-07-2009 at 08:13 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: And For My Next Trick...

Well said !

An articulate, heartfelt, & potent statement of hope worthy of such an impressive milestone post.

Congrats, BBQ, and long may The Rams flag fly in your distant outpost of ClanRam. I'm confident it will when it's in such passionate and resolute hands.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Wow, 2000! Nice work Bar-bq. You're a credit to this site and a valued member. As Joshua mentioned, great post.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Big congratulations to you, BBQ. You're one of the staples of this forum. Don't be satisfied with 2,000.

I'm not looking over this season at all. The future of the Rams is promising with Devaney and Spagnuolo leading the way. There will be some growing pains along the way, but it's comforting to know this team is headed in the right direction. It'll feel like a playoff victory when they (finally) win their first game. Can't wait.

So far I've watched every game twice - once streaming live on Sunday, and another time on NFL Game Rewind during the week. This season is the first time I've been able to see every Rams game. As painful as it can be to watch them sometimes, I'll always cherish the fact that I can.

You and anyone else that are still here, as loyal Rams fanatics, are true diehards.

Ram on!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Awesome, congratulations! I feel the same way bro, this forum has some really great people and I'm honored to be a part of it.

Although it's a tough time for us right now, I am confident in saying that we all have a lot of character and loyalty. Wish I knew you guys in person!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

shower beers is offline Registered User

I'd give you rep if I could

Excellent post.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Congrats good post... I wish I did something like this with my 1,000th post

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: And For My Next Trick...

Two thumbs up BBQ! Keep up the good work as part of the best Rams Clan!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Congrats, partner.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

It brought a tear to my eye *sniffle*

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

congrats BBQ, looking forward to your next 2000 posts,always enjoy them and hopefully you will be able to post about the remarkable turnaround of the 2009 Rams.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Finally, I'd like to say a quick thanks to Dez, HUb, Nick, Av, Mike, Laram0, Sam, Alpha, Jk, EDM, Ramsbruce, BRM, RFTID, Utterblitz, general_counsel, Infitinti, Ramwraith, Cali, Mooselini, Maui, Varg, Ramarkable, 39TheBeast, RF16, Goldenfleece and any of our other regular cast and crew who I've forgotten and will undoubtedly need to apologise to via PM.
    Damn right you will. Now I know who not to give a shout-out to in my upcoming post #1000 spectacular. Oh well maybe I'll let you get away with it this one time seeing how it's your 2000th post and all

But only if you let the Copenhagen Clams beat you in fantasy football this week!

Congrats on the big 2K buddy

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Damn right you will. Now I know who not to give a shout-out to in my upcoming post #1000 spectacular. Oh well maybe I'll let you get away with it this one time seeing how it's your 2000th post and all

But only if you let the Copenhagen Clams beat you in fantasy football this week!

Congrats on the big 2K buddy
    Damn! I can't even rep you! SO sorry! Haha!

The Clams have it coming this week, Jerome Harrison was on my waiver list, too!

Thanks for the kind words, everybody.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Damn! I can't even rep you! SO sorry! Haha!

The Clams have it coming this week, Jerome Harrison was on my waiver list, too!

Thanks for the kind words, everybody.
    That's ok, I'll let you owe me

I think I screwed up the promised post #1000 spectacular with shout-outs and festivities and ended up posting a Taliban cheerleader joke in the relocation thread instead anyway.

Race you to 3000 haha

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

What a beautiful post....bbq....I think I am going to cry....such compassion, such loyalty, such LOVE.....awwwww......

and you don't even need any wins to go with those 2000 posts.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]