general counsel is offline Registered User

My observations from the game

I watched the replay starting at midnight eastern time last night. I fell asleep in the fourth quarter, but i dont think that i missed anything of any real relevance to the season. A few thoughts, in no particular order.

-There is nothing wrong with Bulger. As i have said a million times, you cant throw from flat on your ass. You also cant complete timing plays with pass rushers in your face on every down. The biggest difference was terrific pass protection. If bulger has time, he is deadly. A bit of a running game helps also.
    -Bennett can not hold onto the ball. BUlger threw him a perfect ball early on for a 30 yard gain and he missed it as it hit him in the hands. Sure, he had a guy on him, but for 30 million, he has to make that catch.
    -Adam Goldberg was very impressive against suggs.
    -Donnie Jones may be the best player on the team. He has a sensational leg.
    -I dont care what anyone else thinks, Alex Barron is a LOT better than people give him credit for. I am not saying he is a pro bowler, but he is solid and still has plenty of upside. I would love to sign him long term.
    -Witherspoon is an all pro caliber guy.
    -Burton looked great. He had a spectacular one handed catch that was reversed on review (the refs got the call wrong, it was a catch)
    -Avery looked promising, but had a couple of bad drops, one for a td.
    -Dane Looker can play and while i think its going to be hard for him to make the team, i dont think that caldwell or for that matter dante hall are better than him. Avery can handle the kickoff returns and i think burton and avery will get plenty of time at wide receiver. Part of that is emotional i realize as i am a big Looker fan. Busts his butt and never complains.
    -OUr punt team had a rough night. ONe block right up the middle and one 40 yard return allowed.
    -Leonard LIttle looked very very active, which is a very good sign.
    -Adenyanju made two nice plays. The thing he is wearing on his left hand is enormous, i cant believe he can even stand up it looks so lopsided.
    -McMichael was very involved. I hope we throw to him a lot. He is the best tight end we have had since early Ernie.
    -Pittman had holes with the first unit and some decent runs. If the Big Boy gets those holes, he is going to do MAJOR damage in the secondary.
    -Ty Hill wasnt as bad as some people said. He wasnt great, but he was one on one against Mason all half and Mason is a top notch receiver. He had a couple of nice plays.
    -Todd Johnson is a very sound tackler. Nice guy for depth. I think chaveous has had it.
    -Flaco looks exactly like what you would expect a rookie to look like. He missed a wide open receiver for a long td in the second quarter. Before we get too excited about the defense, remember they played the entire game with a rookie qb, a rookie rb and without todd heap.
    -Chris Long chased down a couple of plays. He clearly plays to the whistle, but he had no real impact of any kind on the field.
    -I am a big dmarco faar fan, but he is a real homer as an announcer.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: My observations from the game

I also was not as impressed by the defense as most people seem to be. Even with a rookie QB from a small college, rookie running back, and missing their all-pro TE, the Ravens had their chances and missed them as rookies will do. I was very discouraged with how Haslett called a lot of 3 man rushes on third down- even if they were third and short. The Ravens had the time and recievers open to convert them and just missed. This defense is in serious trouble if Will Witherspoon ever goes down. That guy was every where on the field. I also thought Culbertson played well. I thought the secondary was pourous as usual.

I also agree that Bulger looked like the Bulger of old. His passes were sharp and on target. Avery dropped at least two and Bennett dropped what could have possibly been a long TD or a long gain at the very least. I was also very encouraged that Bulger was looking for McMichael a lot. Pittman also looks like he might be a good backup RB.

Special teams looked bad. Not much to say there. Blocked punt, bad coverage on punts and kickoffs.
    Last edited by moloch41; -08-25-2008 at 10:30 AM.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    -Bennett can not hold onto the ball. BUlger threw him a perfect ball early on for a 30 yard gain and he missed it as it hit him in the hands. Sure, he had a guy on him, but for 30 million, he has to make that catch.
    You must be kidding, 30 million? How much does Boldin want? We can probably get much needed defensive help for this. Scotty what the heck are you doing?
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Boldin does not want to be in STL... we have no cap for him

general counsel is offline Registered User

fitzgerald got 40 million over 4 years. thats what boldin wants and in my view, he is worth it. Bennetts deal was over a longer period with less guaranteed money so the gap is more than the 10 million that it appears to be.

The concept of trading bennett for defensive help is a nice thought. In the world of reality, i am not sure that there is a single team in the nfl that would pick up his current contract if we offered him to anyone for free. Plus, the cap hit of trading him would be substantial. We are stuck with him for now.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I watched the replay starting at midnight eastern time last night. I fell asleep in the fourth quarter, but i dont think that i missed anything of any real relevance to the season. A few thoughts, in no particular order.

-There is nothing wrong with Bulger. As i have said a million times, you cant throw from flat on your ass. You also cant complete timing plays with pass rushers in your face on every down. The biggest difference was terrific pass protection. If bulger has time, he is deadly. A bit of a running game helps also.
    -Adam Goldberg was very impressive against suggs.
    -Donnie Jones may be the best player on the team. He has a sensational leg.
    -I dont care what anyone else thinks, Alex Barron is a LOT better than people give him credit for. I am not saying he is a pro bowler, but he is solid and still has plenty of upside. I would love to sign him long term.
    -Witherspoon is an all pro caliber guy.
    -Burton looked great. He had a spectacular one handed catch that was reversed on review (the refs got the call wrong, it was a catch)
    -Avery looked promising, but had a couple of bad drops, one for a td.
    -Dane Looker can play and while i think its going to be hard for him to make the team, i dont think that caldwell or for that matter dante hall are better than him. Avery can handle the kickoff returns and i think burton and avery will get plenty of time at wide receiver. Part of that is emotional i realize as i am a big Looker fan. Busts his butt and never complains.
    -OUr punt team had a rough night. ONe block right up the middle and one 40 yard return allowed.
    -Leonard LIttle looked very very active, which is a very good sign.
    -Adenyanju made two nice plays. The thing he is wearing on his left hand is enormous, i cant believe he can even stand up it looks so lopsided.
    -McMichael was very involved. I hope we throw to him a lot. He is the best tight end we have had since early Ernie.
    -Pittman had holes with the first unit and some decent runs. If the Big Boy gets those holes, he is going to do MAJOR damage in the secondary.
    -Ty Hill wasnt as bad as some people said. He wasnt great, but he was one on one against Mason all half and Mason is a top notch receiver. He had a couple of nice plays.
    -Todd Johnson is a very sound tackler. Nice guy for depth. I think chaveous has had it.
    -Flaco looks exactly like what you would expect a rookie to look like. He missed a wide open receiver for a long td in the second quarter. Before we get too excited about the defense, remember they played the entire game with a rookie qb, a rookie rb and without todd heap.
    -Chris Long chased down a couple of plays. He clearly plays to the whistle, but he had no real impact of any kind on the field.
    -I am a big dmarco faar fan, but he is a real homer as an announcer.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Great Post GC, much rep to you!!! I totally agree about Bulger. I don't know what happened last night, but not only did he play as well as the Bulger we saw in 2006, but he looked like the Bulger that took over for an injured Kurt Warner many years ago. He stood in the pocket with great confidence and delivered the ball all over the field. I don't care what people say about his lack of arm strength, but he was a man on a mission against the Ravens. When he gets his feet planted, he can really rifle the ball, and he was throwing some lasers in that game. Also, good accuracy on some deeper balls. I think Bulger is fine ...

I do think Looker is a lock to make the squad. I think he will contribute some big catches through the year ...

I honestly believe Bennett will be a gameday inactive by season end. Burton will be the #2 ...

Also, Chavous looks rejuvenated so far. Hopefully, he wont wear down during the season ...

Todd Johnson and Adeyanju looked awesome. Both were around the ball alot and add great depth ...

The excitement is brewing ...

Did anybody notice the propensity of Saunders to run sets with two WR's, two TE's on the same side, and a single back? With SJax in there, you basically have a 5 wideout set with only 2 WR's. AWESOME!
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -08-25-2008 at 03:01 PM.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I also was not as impressed by the defense as most people seem to be. Even with a rookie QB from a small college, rookie running back, and missing their all-pro TE, the Ravens had their chances and missed them as rookies will do. I was very discouraged with how Haslett called a lot of 3 man rushes on third down- even if they were third and short. The Ravens had the time and recievers open to convert them and just missed. This defense is in serious trouble if Will Witherspoon ever goes down. That guy was every where on the field. I also thought Culbertson played well. I thought the secondary was pourous as usual.

I also agree that Bulger looked like the Bulger of old. His passes were sharp and on target. Avery dropped at least two and Bennett dropped what could have possibly been a long TD or a long gain at the very least. I was also very encouraged that Bulger was looking for McMichael a lot. Pittman also looks like he might be a good backup RB.

Special teams looked bad. Not much to say there. Blocked punt, bad coverage on punts and kickoffs.

I believe the Raven's had something like 48 yards of offense against our first team defense. What are you looking for exactly?

As for the porous secondary, which I didn't think was that porous, you do realize that Atogwe and Brown, our two best DB's, have not stepped on the field yet, right?

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Great post, thanks for the rundown.

I have to agree that we can't get too excited about the defensive performance, given that we were playing against a gawd-awful offensive unit when they have starters in, and they were missing key players. I think they were one of the worst offensive teams in the league last year. We should have stopped them. Yes, the Rams were without a couple guys in the backfield, but let's not get too giddy yet. Haslett still worries me. ...a lot.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    I believe the Raven's had something like 48 yards of offense against our first team defense. What are you looking for exactly?
    I'm saying that the plays were there to be made on many occasions, but the Ravens came up short. I credit that to a rookie QB from Delaware, a rookie running back from Rutgers, and Todd Heap missing rather than great defense by the Rams. There was a third and 5 on one series where Haslett again rushed three and Mason was open for about a 10-15 gain and Flacco skipped the ball to him. He got up and flung the ball to the sidelines because he knew it should have been a first down.

As for the porous secondary, which I didn't think was that porous, you do realize that Atogwe and Brown, our two best DB's, have not stepped on the field yet, right?
    Well, we also don't agree on what consistant pressure on the QB is either, so I'm not surprised we don't agree on that. As for them missing, I realize that, but we better hope neither of them goes down or Brown doesn't get caught puffing on the hooch again.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Great post, thanks for the rundown.

I have to agree that we can't get too excited about the defensive performance, given that we were playing against a gawd-awful offensive unit when they have starters in, and they were missing key players. I think they were one of the worst offensive teams in the league last year. We should have stopped them. Yes, the Rams were without a couple guys in the backfield, but let's not get too giddy yet. Haslett still worries me. ...a lot.
    I agree with you that we should have stopped the Ravens, they are not very good. The one promising thing from the other night is in years past we would'nt have stopped a team like the Ravens. So there is always hope.