Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: My official announcement of semi-retirement

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    I just find it funny how "Fans" can sit through the Good years like it's nothing, But when the tough times hit, those same "Fans" just can't wait out the few bad ones. so when they start winning again, you will be a fan? it is so much more rewarding to support your team all the way, not just when we are good, but even when we suck. don't you want that feeling of when we are back to the top? the feeling you get when you stuck through the tough times, and you feel in your heart that you deserve to call yourself a Rams Fan when we Finally are back? me, I'm here. do or die.

-Josh
    There comes a breaking point with any fan at which point they decide that an emotional investment in the team on the scale that it was is just not worth it if it won't pay dividends.

I still support this team and still follow this team, but at the same time I think I have been "broken" as a fan as well. I've just not gotten as angry and frustrated this season as I have in past years following this team, and I think that is because I have become numbed to the continued disasters and misplays that strike the Rams. I now expect or anticipate bad things to come and those premonitions are usually fulfilled. Today is a case in point. In the third quarter, when San Fran was driving for their second TD, I almost instinctively knew that the Rams were about to collapse, and within 2-3 minutes of game time what had been a tight 7-0 game had become an out of control 21-0 game.

I can handle this to an extent as I can personally put up with a lot, but I can see how others may not be able to take this and I do not blame them if they pull away a little as a result.

Bosna-Ram Guest

It takes me 5 days to lick my wounds, and then there is Sunday the game day. Yesterday i did not finish the game, I just could not watch it. I will be back this Sunday.
    GO RAMS

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

You cant give up on the team this easily. Yes they are bad, but they are still the Rams. I will always watch the Rams if i can, no matter if they are good or bad.

I guess thats because i have been bought up on the British soccer fan mentality. That is, you support your team through the good and the bad. You watch every game if you can. And the one you never do is change the team you support. Ive picked the Rams as the team i support, so i always will.

CT_RamsFan Guest

Its not that I dont support this team I do to much,I get very moody during these games and take it out on everyone around me This team is killing me,this is the worst team Ive ever watched,I go to St LOUIS a few times a year to watch them and if you see someone wearing a rams jersey, there from out of town,that city has lost there team they have given up on them its all about the Cardinals there.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    I just find it funny how "Fans" can sit through the Good years like it's nothing, But when the tough times hit, those same "Fans" just can't wait out the few bad ones. so when they start winning again, you will be a fan? it is so much more rewarding to support your team all the way, not just when we are good, but even when we suck. don't you want that feeling of when we are back to the top? the feeling you get when you stuck through the tough times, and you feel in your heart that you deserve to call yourself a Rams Fan when we Finally are back? me, I'm here. do or die.

-Josh
    Think about it in another perspective. You've been a fan since their Superbowl year. You've had it easy.

But the fans that have been with this much longer than that, the fans that have stuck around even through very bad times, these are the fans that don't have to show that they are loyal. The fact that they are still here right now in my opinion, is very courageous and amazing of them.

majorram is offline Registered User

Yep I get REAL pissed at my boys every Sunday but hey they are the Rams and I still love them, every sunday i think to myself OK this MAY be different, but i still love the fact that i can NOW watch them over the internet, when the PC is not buffering LOL.....

What I keep thinking is that the Rams can other be down for a certain amount of time, we ARE not the Lions....so just hang in there....man its hard BUT hey thats why WE ARE RAMS FANS nobody said this year was going to be easy

steve
    Last edited by majorram; -10-05-2009 at 09:03 AM.
    "The breakfast Club"

rampower is offline Registered User

I totally respect your decision, these times hurt real bad and at times I have to just not think about it or I would go nuts. This team just aint returning the favour to us loyal fans. We just get worse. I will always follow the rams, but for the sake of sanity I sometimes just chill and take a time out, dont read the board for a day or 2, then get back to it.

One thing I could not live without is the clan. The bash being a gigantic part of it, I have made some great friends for life through the clan. Even if the rams stopped existing, I would still go to the bash. The clan goes way beyond football for me and easily carries me through these sundays where it dont go right, however many they throw at me.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CT_RamsFan View Post
    Its not that I dont support this team I do to much,I get very moody during these games and take it out on everyone around me This team is killing me,this is the worst team Ive ever watched,I go to St LOUIS a few times a year to watch them and if you see someone wearing a rams jersey, there from out of town,that city has lost there team they have given up on them its all about the Cardinals there.
    I am poor loser also and I get angry when my team loses. As a fan, you need to decide for yourself how much you can take. When to watch, when to just read the scores in the paper, when to do other things.

Great to meet you in St Louis Tim.

At least the Packers game had some promise to it and moments where I thought we could sneak a win out. This one was close in the 1st half and then things fell apart in the second half, just like the Seattle game. Hard to watch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Me, I'm a Rams fan. I made it through the 90's and I'll make it through this. I'm already looking forward to next Sunday.
    Me too, like it or not I am a Rams fan and it won't change. I will wake up Sunday morning, rearrange my Fantasy teams (again), and check cable for the game. If it's not on, I'll grab my Ricky Proehl jersey, head to the bar and watch us get our arses handed to us by Favre and Co.

I will scream at the TV, drink a couple beers, and laugh at my buddy who is a Bucs fan because he will be in the same boat. And I will love every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by rampower View Post
    One thing I could not live without is the clan. The bash being a gigantic part of it, I have made some great friends for life through the clan. Even if the rams stopped existing, I would still go to the bash. The clan goes way beyond football for me and easily carries me through these sundays where it dont go right, however many they throw at me.
    I agree. The clan is important. For me, watching football should always be shared with some good mates and the clan can give you that. Going in person to some of the games and meeting people makes it even better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Think about it in another perspective. You've been a fan since their Superbowl year. You've had it easy.

But the fans that have been with this much longer than that, the fans that have stuck around even through very bad times, these are the fans that don't have to show that they are loyal. The fact that they are still here right now in my opinion, is very courageous and amazing of them.
    The fact that anyone is still here sitting through the last couple of years I think says a lot about their dedication as fans, not just the old guys.

But it's a lot easier to stop cheering or following a team when they're bad, only to pick them back up when they improve. It would seem to me that the test of a true fan is being steadfast even through the bad times, not abandoning ship because the going has become tough.

bigredman Guest

I will be weighing whether to invest the $300 for NFL ticket next year for the "privilege" of watching the Rams every week. I will remain a fan, and follow the team nevertheless as I have done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    I will be weighing whether to invest the $300 for NFL ticket next year for the "privilege" of watching the Rams every week. I will remain a fan, and follow the team nevertheless as I have done in the past.
    I struggle with that decision as well. It is very expensive to get the NFL ticket so that you can actually watch these games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The fact that anyone is still here sitting through the last couple of years I think says a lot about their dedication as fans, not just the old guys.

But it's a lot easier to stop cheering or following a team when they're bad, only to pick them back up when they improve. It would seem to me that the test of a true fan is being steadfast even through the bad times, not abandoning ship because the going has become tough.

They don't deserve my loyalty. Nine years of bad football and the unofficial "worst team of the decade" in the 90's. Losers of 14 straight and 5-31 in the last 2 1/2 years. Enough is enough. A league laughingstock. "It will get better" are empty words that I've heard for three years now. I've seen nothing- and I mean NOTHING that gives me hope or optimism. No improvement. No ability. No playmakers. No offense. Continued stupid penalties and mistakes. 24 points in 4 games. I challenge one person to refute anything I've said here.

I've supported them enough during the "bad times". Spending money on jerseys and tickets is a privilege afforded teams who not only play their asses off but produce more often than not- not teams who can't win a game in 14 months. We spend time and money on things we enjoy- and Rams football is one 3 hour toothache every Sunday. It is not enjoyable, and therefore until they get it together, they're dead to me.

I'm as loyal a fan as there is, but yesterday was the breaking point.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    They don't deserve my loyalty. Nine years of bad football and the unofficial "worst team of the decade" in the 90's.
    I'd give that title to the Bengals. They won 52 games during that stretch, the Rams won 58, plus a SB.

Losers of 14 straight and 5-31 in the last 2 1/2 years. Enough is enough. A league laughingstock. "It will get better" are empty words that I've heard for three years now. I've seen nothing- and I mean NOTHING that gives me hope or optimism. No improvement. No ability. No playmakers. No offense. Continued stupid penalties and mistakes. 24 points in 4 games. I challenge one person to refute anything I've said here.
    You don't see any hope with Spags and Devaney taking over from Shawgmunt and Linehan? Let's face it, this was a messed up franchise long before these guys took over and it's going to take more than 4 games to straighten things out. If anything, 1999 should be an example that there is always hope.

I've supported them enough during the "bad times". Spending money on jerseys and tickets is a privilege afforded teams who not only play their asses off but produce more often than not- not teams who can't win a game in 14 months. We spend time and money on things we enjoy- and Rams football is one 3 hour toothache every Sunday. It is not enjoyable, and therefore until they get it together, they're dead to me.

I'm as loyal a fan as there is, but yesterday was the breaking point.
    As I mentioned earlier, it's gotten almost unbearable to watch, so I understand your frustration. Each of us has to deal with it in their own way.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast