RockinRam is offline Registered User

My Opinion of Bulger

I posted this in one of the threads in the Draft & FA, and I'm going to repost this here.

First off, you have to take this into another point of view besides your own. I have never been a complete Bulger fan, nor have I ever hated him. But now, I have to defend him.

Yes Bulger had pathetic numbers. Yes he looked like a bad QB many times. But there are easy answers to why he has performed so bad this season, and last season.

First off, you look at the offense. Who do we have that Bulger can trust to throw to? Not that many as most of our guys are either injured, or are still young and have not learned the reads, mastered their timing, nor have they perfected their route running. This all comes with NFL experience.
    Starting this season, we had a a decent offense. Each offensive system generally looks for:
    A down field, speedy receiver. (We have that with Avery)
    A quick, route running receiver that has solid hands. (Torry Holt.)
    A possession receiver that will take some pressure off the other receivers. (Maybe Burton.)
    And a couple big redzone targets. (McMichael and Bennett.)
    Plus a good running back. (Jackson.)

But now try to understand. Bennett, having underperformed to his expectations last season, gets injured. That's one of our key weapons down. Then McMichael, our only TE capable of playing in the NFL, gets injured. So another weapon down. Bulger is now getting worried. But no worries right? We still have the beast in Steven Jackson. But defenses soon figure out our lame offensive schemes, (THANKS SAUNDERS!) and Jackson can't reach his full potential since defenses are always thinking run, and the fact that our o-line can't make lanes, and Jackson held out in training camp.

Now we try to pass. We rely on our youngsters Avery and Burton, and our veteran Holt. Since defenses double cover Holt, we have to focus on Donnie and Keenan. But the thing is, they haven't developed yet, nor have they gained enough experience. Plus the fact that early season injuries have weighed them down. Their timings are somewhat off, and they haven't developed the reads and chemistry that most QBs develop with their receivers.

So now we basically only have Holt and Klop for our passing game, and Jackson for our running game. THEN, Jackson gets injured, and our running game is completely anihilated. We had no running game whatsoever after Jackson was gone. He was the engine to our offense, and when he went down, our wheels fell apart, and our drunk driver got into a wreck. (Linehan.)

This is how Bulger likely feels. He really can't trust his offensive line, his receivers are still young and learning, his running back is injured, and his offensive coordinator sucks.

Every time he drops back to pass, he worries about avoiding a sack more than trying to throw a pass. This is not normal.

Then Linehan is fired, and Haslett is promoted to interim HC. We get Fells and Stanley. But this is of no use. Fells is not used at all by our OC, who can't seem to utilize our weapson, and Stanley has more learning to do than Avery and Burton. I do congratulate Stanley with a brilliant catch and TD run for his first NFL reception.

But, we still do not have any major weapons, and our running back comes back rusty after an injury. But he proves to us he is a dominant running back, because he still managed to break 1,000 yards while missing several games.

Solution: With the maturing of Burton, Avery and Stanley, and with Bennett and McMichael coming back, AND with Jackson being 100% healthy again, AND with us upgrading our offense through the draft and free agency, AND with us solidifying our o-line, I think Bulger will regain his old form.

You can't really blame Bulger. He's had a terrible season, and part of it was his fault too, but if you start to think about what he really haS to work with, then your thoughts about him might change.

Our team is basically a jigsaw puzzle. Injuries have spread a lot of our pieces apart, along with unintelligent coaches have messed this puzzle up. But all hope is not lost. With the arrival of a new HC, he can hopefully piece back together this team. Along with some new players through the draft and free agency, those will be the missing pieces of this team. After the HC pieces back the puzzle, hopefully he can superglue the puzzle abd make it stay connected.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -01-07-2009 at 09:35 AM.

bigredman Guest

Re: My Opinion of Bulger

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Another thread evaluating Bulger.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Nice post Rockinham. Definitely another way to look at Bulger's poor season and the reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post

Well, I am just trying to broaden some people's perspectives. There still seems to be a lot of people who only think one dimensionally about Bulger, and I am just trying to give some insight.

Mooselini Guest

People have to understand that. You made every valid point available.

When we lost McMichael I was immediately worried. Bennett, not so much. He hadn't shown us any promise what so ever.

Holt is slowing down and getting double covered. Once defenses realized that Avery is a playmaker, they start to double cover him. Which leaves us at two rookie receivers in Burton and Stanley. When we find out these guys are not capable of making the right play at the right time, we rely on Looker. Looker had a pretty solid year considering his role on the offense. But Looker is not a starter on this team.

Also, when Jackson went down, I feared what would happen. We end up getting blown out those next several games. When Steven Jackson is healthy, the Rams are healthy. And he showed us that. Build the team around SJax.

The offensive line started to put it together when Romberg played. Kinda shows that Leckey was the problem. Certainly, Bulger still didn't put up the best numbers, but given what he has at receiver, can you blame the guy? Our young receivers are developing. They miss routes and miss timing. Something that is very common for rookie receivers.

So, in the offseason, the offensive line will be fixed. The teen squad will learn how to run precise routes. McMichael will be back. Jackson won't hold out.

Another thing it comes down to is if Torry Holt wants to come back. If he does, that will be good for our offense. Defenses double teamed him last year, obviously realizing that he is capable of making plays. I still believe that he can.

Am I saying that Bulger will have a probowl season? No. Am I saying that he will not be putting up embarassing numbers? Who knows? All I know is, the pieces are there. We just need to put the puzzle together.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Im sure this has been said either in tidbits or as whole posts by other members, but great post nonetheless. While im an avid bennet hater, if he indeed is coming back hopefully its to increase our chances of making a huge change, and as for McMichael i cant wait to have him back.

I am a fan of bulger, and not denying the fact he's played under ugly circumstances, I think he still needs to evolve into the game changing QB he threatened to be in '06. Im tired of the rams having the opportunity to win with 2 minutes or less and i already have a gut feeling it wont turn out good. But, lets hope your right and the team uses this offseason to mature and build the chemistry theyve been lacking...

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    as for McMichael i cant wait to have him back.
    But, lets hope your right and the team uses this offseason to mature and build the chemistry theyve been lacking...
    Same. I can't wait to get McMichael back since he's one of our major redzone targets. He had a pretty nice season actually before he got injured.

I am wishing that our team does build chemistry in the off-season. Hopefully our new coach takes us in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    People have to understand that. You made every valid point available.

When we lost McMichael I was immediately worried. Bennett, not so much. He hadn't shown us any promise what so ever.

Holt is slowing down and getting double covered. Once defenses realized that Avery is a playmaker, they start to double cover him. Which leaves us at two rookie receivers in Burton and Stanley. When we find out these guys are not capable of making the right play at the right time, we rely on Looker. Looker had a pretty solid year considering his role on the offense. But Looker is not a starter on this team.

Also, when Jackson went down, I feared what would happen. We end up getting blown out those next several games. When Steven Jackson is healthy, the Rams are healthy. And he showed us that. Build the team around SJax.

The offensive line started to put it together when Romberg played. Kinda shows that Leckey was the problem. Certainly, Bulger still didn't put up the best numbers, but given what he has at receiver, can you blame the guy? Our young receivers are developing. They miss routes and miss timing. Something that is very common for rookie receivers.

So, in the offseason, the offensive line will be fixed. The teen squad will learn how to run precise routes. McMichael will be back. Jackson won't hold out.

Another thing it comes down to is if Torry Holt wants to come back. If he does, that will be good for our offense. Defenses double teamed him last year, obviously realizing that he is capable of making plays. I still believe that he can.

Am I saying that Bulger will have a probowl season? No. Am I saying that he will not be putting up embarassing numbers? Who knows? All I know is, the pieces are there. We just need to put the puzzle together.

Exactly what I've been saying.

Bulger really had nothing to work with.

I'm hoping we keep Holt. He brings an outstanding veteran presence, and our young guys will continue to learn from him.

The problem is Saunders is that his schemes do not match the personnel of this team. It's built around a component which we do not have. We should focus on getting Jackson the ball, like you said, and then following it up with some reliable passing. Saunder's offense relies on a receivers with great timing, trust between the QB and the receivers, and a sturdy o-line. We really don't have any of those yet. But come off-season, those are pretty easy to fix.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

No Excuses. I don't see us ever winning a SuperBowl with Marc Bulger. I would love to be proven wrong, but I'm confident I won't.

This team will struggle for another year or 2 and then officially tear down and rebuild with a new QB, RB, the whole thing.

We had a winning infrastructure, but it was slowly but surely taken apart until we have what we have today - A shell of the team we were 5 to 6 years ago.

The Colts and Pats and Steelers manage to keep their winning formula going. We even had 3 draft picks in the first round at our peak. It actually was a "hard" accomplishment to tear this team down, yet we did it in only about 3 years.

Not blaming Marc, but he is just one of many mediocre players on this team. Maybe at one time he performed at a high level, but that and a quarter will get you a phone call these days.

BEER is offline Registered User

Red face Re: My Opinion of Bulger

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I posted this in one of the threads in the Draft & FA, and I'm going to repost this here.

First off, you have to take this into another point of view besides your own. I have never been a complete Bulger fan, nor have I ever hated him. But now, I have to defend him.

Yes Bulger had pathetic numbers. Yes he looked like a bad QB many times. But there are easy answers to why he has performed so bad this season, and last season.

First off, you look at the offense. Who do we have that Bulger can trust to throw to? Not that many as most of our guys are either injured, or are still young and have not learned the reads, mastered their timing, nor have they perfected their route running. This all comes with NFL experience.
    Starting this season, we had a a decent offense. Each offensive system generally looks for:
    A down field, speedy receiver. (We have that with Avery)
    A quick, route running receiver that has solid hands. (Torry Holt.)
    A possession receiver that will take some pressure off the other receivers. (Maybe Burton.)
    And a couple big redzone targets. (McMichael and Bennett.)
    Plus a good running back. (Jackson.)

But now try to understand. Bennett, having underperformed to his expectations last season, gets injured. That's one of our key weapons down. Then McMichael, our only TE capable of playing in the NFL, gets injured. So another weapon down. Bulger is now getting worried. But no worries right? We still have the beast in Steven Jackson. But defenses soon figure out our lame offensive schemes, (THANKS SAUNDERS!) and Jackson can't reach his full potential since defenses are always thinking run, and the fact that our o-line can't make lanes, and Jackson held out in training camp.

Now we try to pass. We rely on our youngsters Avery and Burton, and our veteran Holt. Since defenses double cover Holt, we have to focus on Donnie and Keenan. But the thing is, they haven't developed yet, nor have they gained enough experience. Plus the fact that early season injuries have weighed them down. Their timings are somewhat off, and they haven't developed the reads and chemistry that most QBs develop with their receivers.

So now we basically only have Holt and Klop for our passing game, and Jackson for our running game. THEN, Jackson gets injured, and our running game is completely anihilated. We had no running game whatsoever after Jackson was gone. He was the engine to our offense, and when he went down, our wheels fell apart, and our drunk driver got into a wreck. (Linehan.)

This is how Bulger likely feels. He really can't trust his offensive line, his receivers are still young and learning, his running back is injured, and his offensive coordinator sucks.

Every time he drops back to pass, he worries about avoiding a sack more than trying to throw a pass. This is not normal.

Then Linehan is fired, and Haslett is promoted to interim HC. We get Fells and Stanley. But this is of no use. Fells is not used at all by our OC, who can't seem to utilize our weapson, and Stanley has more learning to do than Avery and Burton. I do congratulate Stanley with a brilliant catch and TD run for his first NFL reception.

But, we still do not have any major weapons, and our running back comes back rusty after an injury. But he proves to us he is a dominant running back, because he still managed to break 1,000 yards while missing several games.

Solution: With the maturing of Burton, Avery and Stanley, and with Bennett and McMichael coming back, AND with Jackson being 100% healthy again, AND with us upgrading our offense through the draft and free agency, AND with us solidifying our o-line, I think Bulger will regain his old form.

You can't really blame Bulger. He's had a terrible season, and part of it was his fault too, but if you start to think about what he really haS to work with, then your thoughts about him might change.

Our team is basically a jigsaw puzzle. Injuries have spread a lot of our pieces apart, along with unintelligent coaches have messed this puzzle up. But all hope is not lost. With the arrival of a new HC, he can hopefully piece back together this team. Along with some new players through the draft and free agency, those will be the missing pieces of this team. After the HC pieces back the puzzle, hopefully he can superglue the puzzle abd make it stay connected.
    "Yes he looked like a bad QB many times."

You said it, not me. Bulger is the worse QB of all the worst teams, dont
    you get it. All the Bad teams have bad coaches, bad O lines and bad D, but non of
    those teams have a veteran, 65 million dollar QB that did that bad.
    You do the math.................
    Last edited by BEER; -01-07-2009 at 08:21 PM.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Gotta love the bulger haters. Someone presents an argument with several interesting and valid points about the offense as a whole and includes in their argument an understanding that Bulger should have played better as well and what response do you get?

"No excuses!" etc etc etc.

Sorry, but it's a fairly basic logical fallacy to fail to acknowledge any and all points of evidence in your opponent's argument.

So I'm going to ask those that dislike Bulger to counter the argument in valid and solid form. Convince people with evidence, acknowledge and even counter the points in the post above.

I'm not defending (or attacking) Bulger here, but I think it's important that the debate be real and reasonable and not consist of one side using logical points of evidence and another using a singular blanket statement followed by words like "never been any good" and "won't win superbowls."

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post

Oh, how I feel for that poor horse....someone....please shoot it already and put it out of its misery.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Regardless if you could clone a super-QB, take a little from Warner, McNabb, Brady, and whoever you want to throw into the pot, without a good O-line it doesn't matter who takes snaps from center. I argued before can anyone say Trent Dilfer was a top rated QB? HA! You can still win a SB with a dud at QB solong as he has a solid O-line backed by a Killer Defense.

Bulger's issues or lack of productivity stems from a PATHETIC O-line. As a result, he is gun-shy (300+ linebackers planting you will do that!). I still think its going to be awhile before we know if he will recover. In the 2010 draft the Rams might want to be looking for a new QB, just incase

blood85 Guest

that's been a major achilles of this team, we can't stop anyone. Let's build a ferocious defense like that of the Ravens and go from there. Start with Some Linebackers with attitude.