Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

In my opinion, recievers are a problem.

You guys are all going to bash me but I honestly believe the Recievers are possibly a problem with this offense. Before you starting yelling profanity and bashing me listen up.

In each of the past two teams prior to the Rams with Linehan he has had playmaking recievers. In Minnesota he had Randy Moss, and in Miami he had Chris Chambers. Both are big time playmakers who are playmaking threats with speed and atheleticism to make the play.

Linehan then comes to St. Louis with Torry "Big Game" not "Big Play" Holt. Don't get me wrong Torry is one hell of a player, along with Bruce but neither are playmakers. You don't see either catching the ball and going for 10 yards or catching the deep ball and running in for the touchdown, but only catch the ball and dive down without taking a hit, and niether go up and get the ball on a deep pass. For instance today in the first quarter Bulger throws it up to Holt deep and in all regards it looked like a bad pass and a great defensive play but Holt could have went up and got it but he just stuck his hands up and didn't make an effort to go and get it when most recievers would have.

Our recievers are what you call 'soft' not 'playmakers' like Linehan is used to.

RamsFan16's Looking to the 2007 NFL Draft: Playmaking Recievers
    1. Calvin Johnson
    2. Ted Ginn Jr.
    3. Sidney Rice
    4. Dwayne Jarrett

Ok, bash!

RamsFan16

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: In my opinion, recievers are a problem.

Well, the only reason I'd go high in the draft is because we have a new coach, and if we draft a guy, he'll get used to Linehan's playbook quicker than our receivers are right now. That'd be the only reason for us right now to draft a WR high in the draft.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Hodgins is offline Registered User

marc bulger (and the whole offense pretty much) are still getting used to the scheme, and because of that he was unsure where to go with the football, and so he took unnessecary sacks and missed open recievers, the talent leval of the team is fine and in a month we will all be smiling as the rams go back to scoring 30 points a game...

why the seahawks still envy the rams:tongue:

tim
    tim is offline Registered User

holt catches that ball more often than not. after watching him year in and year out, i don't know how you can question the guy's effort. that's crazy.

as far as the playmaking after the catch... the get the ball and go down mentality has been a development in recent years. if you think back to '99, '00, '01 you'll remember that the rams were one of the best teams at RAC. i'm not sure if they were instructed not to get hurt or what happened, but it'd be nice if they could get back to that.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Linehan then comes to St. Louis with Torry "Big Game" not "Big Play" Holt. Don't get me wrong Torry is one hell of a player, along with Bruce but neither are playmakers.
    I'm sorry, but if Torry Holt isn't talented enough for you, what more do you need? The guy's a top five receiver in this league. He doesn't get that way because he doesn't make plays.

The play you referenced I thought was a good pass and a good attempt at a catch, but the defender just played it well and got a hand in there to break it up. Maybe Torry does need to make that catch, but I'm more willing to give some props to Walt Harris on the defense.

That being said, most teams would kill for our talent at receiver. I certainly don't think they've been playing flawlessly because I've seen some key drops at times, but they're also not playing poorly enough to start calling for their heads, IMO.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

schram is offline Registered User

No problem with Ram receivers. they are the envy of the league. They did not need to force down field runs when keeping there ribs in tact for the next 15 yard clip always proved to be better idea.
    Watching bulger hit Holt and Bruce and all the other receivers from my seats was a blast. Innovative routes at high speed with no reaction time allowed to db, created a stunned defensive mood. 5 yards here followed by 22 yard sling in the middle, a middle that few men want to catch a ball in NFL. Mark had those balls low and away, I can not recall abroken rib with any of our receivers in years.
    So be it, this new coach is slow and painfully deliberate. It is as though he is telling Bulger to find the open man.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I'm sorry, but if Torry Holt isn't talented enough for you, what more do you need? The guy's a top five receiver in this league. He doesn't get that way because he doesn't make plays.
    Did I not say "Don't get me wrong, Torry Holt is a hell of a player"?

The play you referenced I thought was a good pass and a good attempt at a catch, but the defender just played it well and got a hand in there to break it up. Maybe Torry does need to make that catch, but I'm more willing to give some props to Walt Harris on the defense.
    Could have been caught.

That being said, most teams would kill for our talent at receiver. I certainly don't think they've been playing flawlessly because I've seen some key drops at times, but they're also not playing poorly enough to start calling for their heads, IMO.
    Yea, we have very talent recievers ... Not for Linehan's offense though. He isn't use to catch and go down, he's used to catch and and run until taken down not go out of bounds.
    RamsFan16

aff15loader is offline Registered User

2003 stats, both players bring in best years in relation to amount of yds

Moss
    1632 yds

Holt
    1696 yds

any one of chambers years can't even come close to these. Its like a little over 1000.

I dont see how you can count holt out the numbers speak for themsevles , not someones opinon.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Did I not say "Don't get me wrong, Torry Holt is a hell of a player"?
    Why don't you quote the whole sentence like I did?

"Don't get me wrong Torry is one hell of a player, along with Bruce but neither are playmakers."

Is that what I was responding to? Yes? Okay then.

Yea, we have very talent recievers ... Not for Linehan's offense though.
    And as a fan, you know this after two games, eh?

Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce are very good receivers. Just because Holt and Bruce went down to the turf in Martz's system to avoid big hits doesn't mean they can't fit into this system. It's been two frickin' games, you people need to learn to be patient. I'd hate to see you at the drive-through around noon.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

:l

RF16,

If you are saying that the receivers are not tailered to this style of passing attack, which I believe you are......then you are way off base.

Simply put - You have not an inkling of a clue.

I watched Linehan, up close, run this offense while he was a QB with the Vandals at the U of I.

It was Erickson's show at the time and was dubbed the "Erickson Air Express". It was quite successful at the division 1AA level. The recievers were small, fast and ran precise routes.

None of those receivers had the talent to go on to the NFL and were snubbed by the division 1 schools. However, they made the air attack work quite well against other schools at their level.

Very few, if any, WRs in the NFL bowl defenders over on their way to TDs.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Linehan had the perfect opportunity to let Bruce go earlier this year. But he wanted him back and I believe he lobbied for him strongly. Makes very little sense if Linehan thinks Bruce can not be successful in his system.

I think your premise is preposterous and the logic behind it is entirely flawed.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Wow, now this is going way overboard. We are 1-1, our offense is a little out of sync, but our Pro Bowl WRs are a problem, jeeze how do people come up with this stuff.

There is no possible way to bash Jackson right now so I guess the WRs are next on the hit list. Unbelievable.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: In my opinion, receivers are a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgins View Post
    Marc Bulger (and the whole offense pretty much) are still getting used to the scheme, and because of that he was unsure where to go with the football, and so he took unnecessary sacks and missed open recievers. The talent level of the team is fine and in a month we will all be smiling as the rams go back to scoring 30 points a game...
    An optimistic approach and, also, a good, accurate view of what happened today with our offense. Good for you, Hodgins.

On the other hand, I do not think the recEIvers are a problem. They are simply part of the problem as described in this quote.

bluengreen is offline Registered User

If your receivers aren't good enough for the new scheme, I have some bad news - you probably aren't ever going to get good enough receivers. Though I haven't watched either of your games I somehow suspect that isn't the case.

tanus is offline Registered User

I stopped reading once you compared Chris Chambers to Torry Holt.

mtmagpie is offline Registered User

Yup, the Chambers-Holt comparison lost me too...sounds to me like a bunch of people on these boards are not just hitting the panic button-they are standing on it and jumping up and down! I know losing to the ***** hurt, but it ONLY GAME!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast